No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661060
08/30/22 04:28 AM
08/30/22 04:28 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I guided some of the engineers that built this monster. I don’t remember many details about it other than I remember having a hard time grasping how big it was when we discussed it around the supper table.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Paul D. Heppner] #7661091
08/30/22 06:25 AM
08/30/22 06:25 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner
Hey JP it's a little farther than that. Earth to Mars is 90.682 million miles. Earth to the Moon is a mere 238.9 thousand miles. The last several years of my working carrer was working in the aerospace industry. I spent some time working on some Space Shuttle test equipment in the mid '70s and in the last few years some proposal work on James Webb, and "various" satellites. I've always said sending humans to the moon was a HUGE waste of money, man power, and human lives. Now we are talking Mars? It's just stupid, ludicrus, insanity!

It has been said that in our time, we more than most generations before us, suffer from an illusion of original thought. The longer I live and the more I learn, the more I subscribe to that thesis.
We think, because of having technology making getting to the moon possible, that we are the first generations to seek its mysteries. Hardly.
Do we realize that ancient Gnosticism is alive and very well in the 20th and 21st centuries?
And has seen tremendous revival in America for almost 200 years, having not been this robust since the 1st and 2nd centuries after Christ.
Human quest of discovering the moon and all its mysteries are even older than that but the quest for "true" knowledge (we label it by names such as science/math/philosphy/etc) started long, long ago.
We are not the first people to seek it (Illusion of original thought).

What is gnosticism and why is it growing again?
At its core is the progression - progressivism - of humankind. Gnostic thinking is basic to the “human potential movement” because it focuses on man and his problems, man and his needs, man and his happiness.
Here's a good summary from an article I have;
"At its point of historical origin, it is fundamentally a radical reading of Plato as regards matter and the body. In Plato’s dialogues, arguments are presented claiming the senses deceive, for the visible realm of sense perception is illusory and a realm of constant flux, while it is the invisible, intelligible realm that is stable, unchanging, and ultimately Real. We may attain knowledge of it through the spiritual soul’s contemplation of it. And so in Plato’s dialogues, the body is a problem. Indeed, it’s described even as a “tomb” or a “prison,” neither of which are nice places... Gnostic concepts mirror a modern school of philosophy known as existentialism ("how and why do we exist?") Gnostics asked and answered such questions as: "Who am I?" "Where did I come from?" "What is the meaning of life?" "Why am I here?" and "What is my true self?

So we head to the moon, with the hippie generation in charge of the dollars (that's people our age) because the hippie age is a generation built upon seeking love, truth, and what is real.
A lot of 'em tripped out to "find" that "place," but that tactic isn't original either.

Seem not possible?
I had no idea how entrenched Gnostics were in our land until my theological grad studies.
In my theological studies I learned that;
There are three main platforms that Gnosticism's leaders - known as[b] elites (where have we heard that name before?) - have... and they all read like modern day America;[/b]
1. "With regard to humanity, Gnosticism was, and is, elitist, holding that there is a hierarchy within humanity. The highest rank comprises the pneumatics, the “spirituals” (as pneuma in Greek means “spirit”). These people have spirits that can be liberated from their bodies. The next rank comprises the psychics, “soulish” people (psych: meaning “soul”) who may not be able to be saved as they lack spirits but who, having some sort of souls, can achieve some degree of illumination. And the final rank comprises the vast mass of humanity, the hylics (meaning “matter”), who are only bodies, lacking spirits and souls. They’re cattle, and cannot be illuminated or saved. Secrecy: Gnosticism trades in it, and the elites were the ones who possessed the secret knowledge about the cosmos and the secret codes for escaping it. The elites simply know the very structure of the universe and simply know the secret code of salvation."
2. "In terms of morality, it means second that babies were bad; what else is a newborn but seven pounds of inherently evil matter? And so Gnostics advocated and practiced contraception, abortion, and infanticide, all of which were common in the ancient world. They also had a disdain for the female form since females bore babies, and saw the human person not as dimorphic (male and female) in principle but as androgynous."
3. "Gnostics are antinomian, meaning that they reject any rules or laws disciplining the body, and so felt free to engage in licentious behavior; if the body does not matter, if we are not ultimately our bodies, why not use them as we please?

It has been said that the legalization of gay marriage has been the pinnacle of modern day gnostics as this wholeheartedly undermines those who oppose the heretic Gnostics >>>> the Judea-Christian believers, who commit to the one-man married to one woman covenant (as instructed in the Bible), which is the human template of the divine Jesus Christ (Bride Groom) and the Church (Bride).
And gender identification will be allowed because the tenets of the Gnostics declare that sex of a human doesn't matter because it is irrelevant to the truth of this universe. Male - female - them - it... they are all the same when you know what Gnostics believe and how they go about their progressivism.

The ages pass but the battle remains the same today as it was then.
I say, like Sun Tzu, it's always necessary to know the enemy and the terrain.
The space expiration has so very little to do with finding pretty rocks and more resources for humans. Gnostics despise the material, which includes human bodies.
It's all about the Gnostic elites proving to themselves they have the power to leave this wretched evil embodied earth for reasons the Gnostics and their 21st century faithful, who are many, place their faith in.
Count me and mine out.
Period.
There's no future in it

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661096
08/30/22 06:37 AM
08/30/22 06:37 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Do rocket launches bring about more thunderstorms? It seemed that way when the space shuttle was going up regular.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: danny clifton] #7661098
08/30/22 06:41 AM
08/30/22 06:41 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Do rocket launches bring about more thunderstorms? It seemed that way when the space shuttle was going up regular.

Rocket launches and the opening day of trapping season do seem to bring about thunderstorms/rain. Good observation.

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661105
08/30/22 06:53 AM
08/30/22 06:53 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Where does it rain on trappers?
I'm always out in the bluebird sunshiny stuff shocked
Sorta.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661119
08/30/22 07:14 AM
08/30/22 07:14 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
To me it is exploring the unknown! And that research is what is keeping the Ukraine going on. We are technically ahead of everyone else because of it. It flows in to our every day lives ......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661126
08/30/22 07:23 AM
08/30/22 07:23 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Let’s see! Energy cost and supply are at all time highs and supply at lows. People will freeze to death in Europe this winter. We spent hundreds of billions of dollars to shoot a rocket up in the sky so it can float around for 48 days then fall back to earth mostly burned up . Yea that sounds about right.
Almost forgot it went up to see and photograph things we already know about and went somewhere we have been several times !

Last edited by jbyrd63; 08/30/22 07:24 AM.
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661127
08/30/22 07:25 AM
08/30/22 07:25 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Has a nice ring to it jk. That unknown. It tugs at us to find it.

Some go to the moon.
I wonder how many coyotes are running a place.

But then, I'm just a trapper grin
Who appreciates the earth and all it contains.

But I am a Trekie of sorts, I admit;
Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661162
08/30/22 08:13 AM
08/30/22 08:13 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Wow! Some of you guys sure have some peculiar ways of looking at things.

Mark,
I'm with you on most everything you post and you may be correct about gnostic, but I dont think that is what is driving space exploration.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661226
08/30/22 09:48 AM
08/30/22 09:48 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
So many everyday items came from NASA/the space industry it's easy to overlook. Same with racing, see it on the racetrack and a couple years later on production vehicles.

Some people read books, some like to write them.

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661397
08/30/22 02:23 PM
08/30/22 02:23 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Hippie you got that right. Our lives would look a lot different if it wasn't for space explorations. Sure some folks make a bunch of money with it and so they should. Its a risky business but has advanced all of our lives a lot. Having worked in the diving industry for quite a while, my life was affected by it more than most folks i guess. From the air tight zipper to rebreathers electronic controls and o2 sensors. All of it are spinning offs from the space programs.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661401
08/30/22 02:27 PM
08/30/22 02:27 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
You bet

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661402
08/30/22 02:28 PM
08/30/22 02:28 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I'm sure space exploration contributed a great many technological advancements back in the 1960's. But I'm not sure that's true any more.

Modern production car technology is light years more advanced than 99.9% of the racing cars in the world today.

I thing we'd get more benefit from exploring this planet's oceans than we would from exploring space.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661409
08/30/22 02:41 PM
08/30/22 02:41 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Maybe read up on it Kart?

Lots of modern things from GPS to scratch proof coating for glasses came from NASA since the '60's.

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661424
08/30/22 03:08 PM
08/30/22 03:08 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
I am not a Start Track movie person I just like to explore and see what is around the next corner, hill. mountain, planet. I dont even like TV, I would rather read. Just me.......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7661640
08/30/22 08:14 PM
08/30/22 08:14 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
you dont know what you dont know. thats what exploration is all about

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7662425
09/01/22 04:56 AM
09/01/22 04:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7662444
09/01/22 06:05 AM
09/01/22 06:05 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Wow! Some of you guys sure have some peculiar ways of looking at things.

Mark,
I'm with you on most everything you post and you may be correct about gnostic, but I don't think that is what is driving space exploration.

Well it drives the people who drive the bus is my point.
I'm not actually against space exploration as human progress will continue because that is who we are by our nature.
But there is little debate among philosophers and theologians that gnosticism has reemerged in our culture the last century and a half and that those who espouse perhaps don't even know what it is or the historical roots of those many centuries ago who had the same views.

I have always been a history buff, so am interested in "what goes around comes around" or vice versa.
I'll give a straight example (below) from one of my theology resource books on how gnosticism resides within our modern jurisprudence. I could teach a course on all the examples because Gnosticism philosophy is deeply imbedded in the Supreme Court Case Law decisions and has been growing since the mid 20th century... because gnosticism has been growing in our land.
We are taught in seminary that words matter and that words are used to give us what the author wants us to know, but as an author myself I knew that to some extent before studies;

"It’s observed that Gnosticism, particularly in the form of the licentiousness of the sexual revolution, has come to infect American jurisprudence as well. The legal regime legitimizing contraception and abortion and indeed the broader sexual revolution is not found in the text of the Constitution, but rather in its shadows, the “penumbras” and “emanations.” In his opinion in Griswold vs. Connecticut (1965), which struck down state laws banning contraception, Justice William O. Douglas wrote, “The foregoing cases suggest that specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights have penumbras, formed by emanations from those guarantees that help give them life and substance. Various guarantees create zones of privacy.” Ancient Gnostics used the same terms—“penumbras” and “emanations”—and their elites simply knew what was found in those shadowy domains by virtue of being the elite, much like our justices simply know that a right to privacy undergirding the ideology of the sexual revolution is somehow there not in the words but in the shadows of the Constitution."

These SC examples are revealing and whether Justice Kennedy (who often uses ancient gnostic terms in his decisions >>> most especially on Planned Parenthood cases) or other justices are "Gnostics" we don't know of course, but it seems their worldview drives their bus and they are driving all of us on it.

Blessings!
Mark

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7662450
09/01/22 06:13 AM
09/01/22 06:13 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Oookkkkk, lol.

Set to launch Saturday.

Re: Artemis1 rocket launch from Cape Canaveral [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7662466
09/01/22 06:49 AM
09/01/22 06:49 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Maybe the space program will develop some better stuff for us.
Like we need more better stuff laugh

After air conditioning and MB 550's were invented, what else is there?

Blessings,
Mark

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread