Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Whole snake? [Re: kytrapper] #7662533
09/01/22 09:34 AM
09/01/22 09:34 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
It doesn’t get any easier then that . As for my stinking garter snakes I can’t help but think they would be great at a rub post. We often hear of guys using a rub set for cats , any reason to think it would not work for coyotes ?

Re: Whole snake? [Re: Golf ball] #7662556
09/01/22 10:17 AM
09/01/22 10:17 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Golf ball
It doesn’t get any easier then that . As for my stinking garter snakes I can’t help but think they would be great at a rub post. We often hear of guys using a rub set for cats , any reason to think it would not work for coyotes ?

I tested a rub set this spring. 2 locations: a stick about the diameter of ur thumb 12" out of the ground. Fish oil base with a couple of other ingredients that get a strong rolling response. A proven lure coyotes will really dig for.
First week I had 5 coyotes approach but wouldn't get within 5 foot of stick. After a week I put a shot of urine at the base and got three coyotes to come up and sniff it with one rubbing on it. My guess is either the stick made them nervous or the odor up off the ground did.

This was in areas I had been regularly testing and not seeing any negative reactions to anything in a dirt hole.

Very limited testing but those were my results
But from some responds I've got from other trappers about some of my other tests I'm starting to believe my coyotes are lying to me. grin

Last edited by Yes sir; 09/01/22 10:20 AM.
Re: Whole snake? [Re: kytrapper] #7663243
09/02/22 08:33 AM
09/02/22 08:33 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Seth I still use a bale of hay or straw when the location calls for it . One end gets a dirt hole the other end gets a shot of urine or gland or both sometime it gets a loud call lure. What ever I use on that square bale is used on a corner about shoulder high . I’ve never put a camera on a bale so I don’t know for sure but I suspect they are rubbing or shouldering this bale. The bale is about 50% as to which end makes the first catch, after that it’s a dirt hole on the one end and a big trash mound for a backing the other end becomes a walkthrough most of the time using the same , urine , gland or call lures off to the sides. The times that I’ve used an old corner post for rubs was when I tested horse hoof tea. My conclusion was that HHT is not worth messing with as only one coyote ever even approached for a whiff and a foot and a half was close enough.

Re: Whole snake? [Re: kytrapper] #7664195
09/03/22 05:21 PM
09/03/22 05:21 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
What about a garden snake?

Re: Whole snake? [Re: kytrapper] #7664213
09/03/22 05:44 PM
09/03/22 05:44 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
garden snake is a slang name for a garter snake.

Re: Whole snake? [Re: Lazarus] #7664925
09/04/22 07:35 PM
09/04/22 07:35 PM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Originally Posted by E.J. Kelley
Youre on target Lazarus. Watch a bull snake get hit on the road. Nothing eats it. A rattler gets hit and its gone in short order. Wiley Carol would just put a dead rattler in a soup can, bury it and catch coyotes.

I watched Billy Taylor (third generation government trapper and traps Wiley's old country) make that set. Get a soup can, clean it out, and put a 3-4" chunk of rattlesnake in it. Bend over the open end and put a flat rock on the can against a small backing with a trap out front. The snake keeps "gassing" for weeks and any coyote worth his salt will stop and try to dig it out. No other lure needed. Real good set for coyotes that have seen all the other sets. The set was made to "age" (i.e. not go near it except close enough to see if a catch had been made) and get better as time went on.

Sould like a simple and effective set. Unfortunately can use it here, ratters are protected, go figure.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91