No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692369
10/14/22 04:34 PM
10/14/22 04:34 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I can find beaver for pay jobs

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692390
10/14/22 05:08 PM
10/14/22 05:08 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Just completely disagree with wasting an animal regardless of money at all. Don't trap if you aren't gonna use up the entire animal or later. It's that type of stuff that has gotten a majority of people against trapping in the first place. if $20 for a beaver pelt is what the market will bear this year, you either take it, hold on to your fur for the future, or don't trap.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692397
10/14/22 05:20 PM
10/14/22 05:20 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Quit watching disney movies Matt they have bent your mind

Last edited by danny clifton; 10/14/22 07:55 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692409
10/14/22 05:34 PM
10/14/22 05:34 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I'll grab a couple easy beaver for food and dog food but if there gonna average 10 bucks it's not worth the freezer space to save fur.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692427
10/14/22 06:08 PM
10/14/22 06:08 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
I am perplexed as to why this happens ever year. I guess I understand it from the youngins and ones like MattLA who didn't experience the boom or have a lefty view of things. In my opinion, we'll probably never see another boom, we are on our way out, exit stage left.

If you can get payed nuisance trapping, plus a small amount for the furs, then decide if it's worth your time skinning. If not, then don't do it. I don't trap for a check, those days are gone. I trap because I love it and more important, to manage apex predators. Our Turkey, Squirrel, Rabbit, etc, populations are plummeting on State ground which is all I can hunt now. If you don't want to basically give your fur away, at the very least, manage things out there so we maintain.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692474
10/14/22 07:57 PM
10/14/22 07:57 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I will do some trapping Catch22. I will pelt cats and get my bride to cook some beaver stew. May BBQ a coon. But I see no reason to let somebody else profit from my efforts if I dont profit.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: danny clifton] #7692486
10/14/22 08:08 PM
10/14/22 08:08 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I will do some trapping Catch22. I will pelt cats and get my bride to cook some beaver stew. May BBQ a coon. But I see no reason to let somebody else profit from my efforts if I dont profit.

I think that's fair Danny. BBQ coon sounds pretty good too! I don't care about the carpet baggers either, I just want to do my part to ensure huntable, trappable populations for the kids coming up.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Dirt] #7692495
10/14/22 08:15 PM
10/14/22 08:15 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Online happy
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Online Happy
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Dirt
He is making money. I will toss them before i let someone else make money off a commodity I am going to lose money on

Maybe somebody will give you a free skinning machine and some lures so your cost to produce is lower and you can stay in the trapping business? smile

Love it! lol

-Goofy-
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692499
10/14/22 08:18 PM
10/14/22 08:18 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Couldn't afford to trap on a large scale down here in the South except for pay jobs for predators and beaver work.

With 24 hrs check laws it is a losing deal unless you are being paid. Fuel is gonna be very expensive this time around.

The saleable pelts add a little more to the wallet. I will keep every fox, every bcat, every otter, and every beaver. All else will be properly disposed of. I will put up the foxes and cats. Thank goodness I can sell the otter and beaver skint and frozen as that removes that extra labor.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692526
10/14/22 08:46 PM
10/14/22 08:46 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
If i can’t make money on my fur why should I let someone else make money on it
Originally Posted by Jkeith
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

So they can stay in business so there will be someone to sell furs to if a market ever does develope. Selling Ata loss, lessens the loss. Don't trap them if you're in it for the money.

I'm not in it for the money, but I'm certainly not selling my furs to anyone just to keep them in business, especially for the sake of keeping them around if the market bounces back. Maybe I misunderstood you, but why would any trapper do that?

I didn't think it was so hard to decipher what I meant. I'm saying if you are going to trap, you may as well sell what you catch even if it doesn't cover all your expenses it will cover a few of them and in the process you may also be helping out someone you may need to help you out in the future by buying your furs, maybe even pay more for your loyalty.... but if you are trapping furs solely the purpose of making money, you shouldn't bother trapping at all because making a profit in this market selling hides green or put up, just ain't happening.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: jbyrd63] #7692528
10/14/22 08:50 PM
10/14/22 08:50 PM
eastern washinghton
70sdiver Offline
trapper
70sdiver  Offline
trapper

eastern washinghton
If your going to skin a beaver just clean skin it and put it up.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692547
10/14/22 09:20 PM
10/14/22 09:20 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Curious, what was his top on beaver last year? Just wondering how much of an increase this amounts to.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692599
10/14/22 10:21 PM
10/14/22 10:21 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

GFW is buying mainly for the hatter market. North to south...East to west.....

Another update...from Bland, VA SENTA Convention...

https://youtu.be/FC3Jpr3khmc

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 10/14/22 10:22 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: MattLA] #7692602
10/14/22 10:22 PM
10/14/22 10:22 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Originally Posted by MattLA
Just completely disagree with wasting an animal regardless of money at all. Don't trap if you aren't gonna use up the entire animal or later. It's that type of stuff that has gotten a majority of people against trapping in the first place. if $20 for a beaver pelt is what the market will bear this year, you either take it, hold on to your fur for the future, or don't trap.

If the beaver is eating your orchard or flooding your crops or putting your mower headlights pointing straight up, you would not feel that way. Im getting paid to solve problems that to some extent occur more often due to low fur prices. I am not wasting an animal, I am solving a problem. Once I do that, I am willing salvage resources if I can be fairly compensated for my time to do that. For me, $20 - even a 20$ average, does not equate to a fair wage.

I am not upset at what he is paying, in fact I appreciate the offer. But I will pass.

If you do it just for fun, by all means do what feels right for you. Clearly you don’t kill beavers for the same reason I do, but we do both enjoy trapping. I also disagree with the practice of wasting the life of an animal. I can show you a lot of people with dry farmground, living trees, and homes that arent flooded who would say without hesitation that it was not a waste. Ditto for your near sighted comment about not trapping if you aren’t going to use the entire animal. Ever had a mouse in your home? A mink killing chickens? The list hoes on and on, and contrary to your other comment about “that kind of stuff” getting most people against trapping, I find the opposite around here - that is to say more people accept and appreciate me as a solver of problems caused by wild animals than would accept and appreciate me as a trapper who kills for fur.
How about “if that is what the market will bear”? Well, again, maybe beaver costs more to produce than what the market will bear. So I won’t do that. No hard feelings, no worries about what you are willing to do, but if they want to make money by making hats with my beavers, I have to make money also.

Last edited by loosanarrow; 10/14/22 10:32 PM.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692638
10/15/22 12:00 AM
10/15/22 12:00 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
I looked up his prices last year on you tube he said he was paying 12 to 20 dollars tops.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692676
10/15/22 05:25 AM
10/15/22 05:25 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I still have the same issue with these type of threads
We don't discuss dispatch of animals on this site, but we continue to have 3 page discussions that turn into throwing animals we catch in the ditch.
This to me seems to give more fodder to the antis than dispatch threads would. IMHO

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: loosanarrow] #7692694
10/15/22 06:28 AM
10/15/22 06:28 AM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Originally Posted by MattLA

If the beaver is eating your orchard or flooding your crops or putting your mower headlights pointing straight up, you would not feel that way. Im getting paid to solve problems that to some extent occur more often due to low fur prices. I am not wasting an animal, I am solving a problem. Once I do that, I am willing salvage resources if I can be fairly compensated for my time to do that. For me, $20 - even a 20$ average, does not equate to a fair wage.

I am not upset at what he is paying, in fact I appreciate the offer. But I will pass.

If you do it just for fun, by all means do what feels right for you. Clearly you don’t kill beavers for the same reason I do, but we do both enjoy trapping. I also disagree with the practice of wasting the life of an animal. I can show you a lot of people with dry farmground, living trees, and homes that arent flooded who would say without hesitation that it was not a waste. Ditto for your near sighted comment about not trapping if you aren’t going to use the entire animal. Ever had a mouse in your home? A mink killing chickens? The list hoes on and on, and contrary to your other comment about “that kind of stuff” getting most people against trapping, I find the opposite around here - that is to say more people accept and appreciate me as a solver of problems caused by wild animals than would accept and appreciate me as a trapper who kills for fur.
How about “if that is what the market will bear”? Well, again, maybe beaver costs more to produce than what the market will bear. So I won’t do that. No hard feelings, no worries about what you are willing to do, but if they want to make money by making hats with my beavers, I have to make money also.

You are wasting the animal if you just throw it in the pit, especially a keystone species like a beaver that impacts the entire ecology of a region. You are trying to use two different logic streams to justify you wasting an animal simply because you are being too lazy to treat the animal with even the smallest amount of dignity and respect. If a beaver comes into your house and starts chewing your 2x4s, then we can compare it to a mouse. I think the entire population of anti trappers, trappers and people who are in the middle would generally agree that if you are going to kill something you need to do what you can to ensure the meat doesn't go to waste, especially something as great as a beaver. I mean in GA we used to take any animals, no matter what it was to our "poor section" of the county, they would eat anything and thank the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) out of us. There are lots of NFL players that came from GA that grew up eating a variety of animal meat precisely for that situation you are talking about. You could ask around for somebody who wants to more or less learn, and pay them in beaver meat and fur. You could call the Sheriff and ask if there are any really poor families that have food problems and explain the beaver situation. Even ripping the hide off, pulling the castors out and then chucking the body is far better than just saying to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) with the entire animal, in the pit you go!

I will offer you a challenge, but I doubt you will take me up on it. Lets do a public survey off this website, I will get a friend to promote it to the masses on the internet, and we will ask the question of whats more acceptable. Trapping, Killing the Beavers from their natural habitat and then just tossing the entire body into a pit because there wasn't enough money to be made. OR Trapping, Killing the Beavers from their natural habitat and using all of the parts of the beaver, fur, meat, castor, body fluids, and finally the bones for tools. Deal?

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7692704
10/15/22 06:55 AM
10/15/22 06:55 AM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Turtledale is correct. Time to move on. If you don’t like current prices stay home, watch football, drink beer, and get fat! But get away from ignorant ammo talk for antis.

Re: More Info from GFW [Re: MattLA] #7692707
10/15/22 06:59 AM
10/15/22 06:59 AM
Pennsylvania
Longbeard12 Offline
trapper
Longbeard12  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania

I dont think this a good idea. Lets just be done.

Last edited by Longbeard12; 10/15/22 07:01 AM.
Re: More Info from GFW [Re: Longbeard12] #7692715
10/15/22 07:08 AM
10/15/22 07:08 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Longbeard12

I dont think this a good idea. Lets just be done.

Yup.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread