No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Great Lakes are Angry [Re: danny clifton] #7694735
10/18/22 08:20 AM
10/18/22 08:20 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Why are there no surfers?

There are surfers on lake Erie

The biggest thing now is wind surfing. Those guys fly through the air it's mesmerizing to watch. They put on dry suits and I've seen them in the lake when it's water temp is 40°. Although I'm not one to talk, did a polar bear swim with the Marine corps post for many years raising funds for juvenile diabetes

Last edited by Turtledale; 10/18/22 08:20 AM.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: The Great Lakes are Angry [Re: danny clifton] #7694748
10/18/22 08:34 AM
10/18/22 08:34 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Why are there no surfers?

Danny I seen a couple people with surf boards when I was over to lake Michigan fishing. I know there have been surfers for years. Might be that the water is fairly cool even in summer.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: The Great Lakes are Angry [Re: Willy Firewood] #7694758
10/18/22 08:45 AM
10/18/22 08:45 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
From shore I have safely seen very large waves on Lake Erie. The power in the water is amazing.

Back one summer day when I was 20 years old, I was a guest on a large boat on Lake Erie. The engine died as a major storm approached. Unfortunately a tornado developed and it came right over us. The waves were immense. The wind was deafening. Only by God’s grace did everyone survive. Miracles happened that day.

For a good read about weather developing suddenly and placing lives in peril, look up writings about “The day the duck hunters died”.

RP - why do you think this winter will be rough?
Thanks for the video. I have not seen that before. Many important images!

Best wishes.

I might be overthinking it but by the amount of walnuts the trees produced this year. I don't remember seeing so many before plus the farmers almanac states that it will be a cold snowy winter in this part of the country. Also, we are due for a bad one. But with that said who knows what mother nature has in store for us.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: The Great Lakes are Angry [Re: rpmartin] #7695244
10/18/22 07:37 PM
10/18/22 07:37 PM
Michigan
T
Thumbian Offline
trapper
Thumbian  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
My Dad was commercial fishing when the Daniel J Morrell went down northeast of Harbor Beach. He said it was clear morning but the sky was red. They had nets set for whitefish somewhere north of the thumb that they had to pull. Got caught in the storm. He said they had one shot to hit the gap in Harbor Beach’s break walls. He remembers the east wall (largest of the three break walls, about 15’ above the water) was at times completely under the waves. Only two fish tugs went out that day and somehow they both returned safely.

Re: The Great Lakes are Angry [Re: Turtledale] #7695251
10/18/22 07:42 PM
10/18/22 07:42 PM
MI
S
Supergoose Offline
trapper
Supergoose  Offline
trapper
S

MI
Just got back from Lake Michigan. Both of the piers are under water and puking out over the channel walls past the old Coast Guard station.
I’m guessing 6-8 at the present time increasing later tonight.

Danny no surfers but did see a couple of kite boarders running toward the water with all of their gear

A goose may honk....but he won't wave
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread