No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wild meat sales [Re: beaverpeeler] #7723517
11/21/22 06:03 PM
11/21/22 06:03 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
OK, I just got off the phone with the head guy at ODA's meat inspection program. He had emailed me regs about game animals but I informed him that the furbearers in question are not legally classified as game animals in Oregon. He then went on to say I could donate the meat to charitable organizations without any licensing but that the animal prior to being butchered would need to be inspected by the Oregon Dept of Fish & Game. (Apparently some of them have received instructions from the ODA on inspecting carcass animals for human consumption). But that direct sales of furbearers to the public would be illegal. But he couldn't find any statues to back that.

So....I asked what would happen if I just sold carcasses directly to people without stating any purpose for the carcass. In other words, up to them if it is for human consumption, pet consumption, trap bait, or fertilizer.

He admitted that that was a gray area and something that wouldn't necessarily be against any regulations. So then I asked him what if I took the backstraps off a beaver and sold those without stating any purpose for them. He responded that in this case it would be too obvious that it was being sold for consumption and they would not allow home butchering of a furbearer for public sale.

So there you go. I can sell carcasses to the public but not do any butchering of them, in Oregon.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Wild meat sales [Re: beaverpeeler] #7723525
11/21/22 06:20 PM
11/21/22 06:20 PM
Saline county,Mo.
J
jhh Offline
trapper
jhh  Offline
trapper
J

Saline county,Mo.
In Mo. we can sell all parts of furbearers.

Re: Wild meat sales [Re: jhh] #7723740
11/21/22 09:34 PM
11/21/22 09:34 PM
Iowa
S
Squirt Offline
trapper
Squirt  Offline
trapper
S

Iowa
I am probably not stating this correctly but how are you guys protecting yourselves legally while selling wild meat to people if someone claims to have gotten sick from it? Where do you stand from a legal standpoint?

Re: Wild meat sales [Re: beaverpeeler] #7723747
11/21/22 09:36 PM
11/21/22 09:36 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Exactly Squirt. That is why the first part of all that is to see that all your i's are dotted and T's crossed. And if you have much to lose you need to have the activity insured.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Wild meat sales [Re: beaverpeeler] #7723793
11/21/22 10:20 PM
11/21/22 10:20 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Online content
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Online Content
trapper

ohio
Most of the people that would buy carcasses for food are either gone or their kids won't eat it.
Used to have a good market for them.
Over the years it's gotten down to just two people that used to buy from me.
I got a hold of a trapper in the area , and he now supplies to them.
My health won't allow me to do it any more.
Paid for gas for my truck during the good years.

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Wild meat sales [Re: Squirt] #7723912
11/22/22 12:30 AM
11/22/22 12:30 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by Squirt
I am probably not stating this correctly but how are you guys protecting yourselves legally while selling wild meat to people if someone claims to have gotten sick from it? Where do you stand from a legal standpoint?

That's a legitimate question , but its really no different than raw milk or farm eggs or our un inspected beef that we can sell with the food freedom act in WY . Only a percentage of foreign beef is inspected. The system is a disgrace. I suppose insurance would be a good idea. Of course if it's a legitimate business you should have liability.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread