No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Got a bunch of old traps, not sure where to start [Re: Boco] #7725789
11/24/22 08:56 AM
11/24/22 08:56 AM
Ontario
G
Graham Offline OP
trapper
Graham  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ontario
Originally Posted by Boco
All those traps are legal in Ontario under the aihts for certain species.
Fox are not an aihts species,but the provincial regs state you have to use a foothold smaller than a #3.Also Ontario regs state staked footholds on land have to have no more than a foot of chain.if you use drag or clog no chain length reg applies.
For coon you cannot use a foothold except for the encapsulating type.

if you want to sell fur you will need to take the trapping course to get a commercial licence.
Like any other jurisdiction there are regulations you need to be familiar with.
Ontario, being such a huge land mass, has different regs in the North and the South.I believe there are 4 different divisions in the province.
Where in Ontario are you located?

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it a lot.

I am in Cobourg (Northumberland region). So southern ontario.

When selling furs commercially, who exactly does one sell them to? What is the average price of a coon/coyote if you may know? Also are you expected to flesh it before selling it or do you sell it raw?

Last edited by Graham; 11/24/22 09:07 AM.
Re: Got a bunch of old traps, not sure where to start [Re: Graham] #7725832
11/24/22 09:49 AM
11/24/22 09:49 AM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
Graham,

you need to take the course before you can do anything. The course is going to answer 90% of your questions and will specifically talk about your area and some of the restrictions you might have. They teach you fur handling, trap identification, setting, animal biology, etc.

Here's a list of instructors: https://furmanagers.com/find-an-instructor/

Your about 40 mins from me and will send you a PM with my contact info.

Your first step is the course, you cannot set a trap without your license and you cannot get your license without the course. It can take awhile to get onto the course as there has been a big uptick in people interested in trapping and many instructors did not teach it during Covid.

Once you have the course you apply for your license with the ministry and are good to go.

In our area with the amount of people and pets walked off leash you need to use common sense on what kind of sets you use. So even if the set is legal it might not be a good idea to use it. Your instructor will talk about this during the course. All the trappers in our area trap private property and it's hard enough to get permission without Facebook pages blowing up with someone's pet in a foothold.

Welcome to the addiction, go get the course!

Re: Got a bunch of old traps, not sure where to start [Re: Graham] #7725876
11/24/22 10:50 AM
11/24/22 10:50 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Graham
Originally Posted by Boco
All those traps are legal in Ontario under the aihts for certain species.
Fox are not an aihts species,but the provincial regs state you have to use a foothold smaller than a #3.Also Ontario regs state staked footholds on land have to have no more than a foot of chain.if you use drag or clog no chain length reg applies.
For coon you cannot use a foothold except for the encapsulating type.

if you want to sell fur you will need to take the trapping course to get a commercial licence.
Like any other jurisdiction there are regulations you need to be familiar with.
Ontario, being such a huge land mass, has different regs in the North and the South.I believe there are 4 different divisions in the province.
Where in Ontario are you located?

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it a lot.

I am in Cobourg (Northumberland region). So southern ontario.

When selling furs commercially, who exactly does one sell them to? What is the average price of a coon/coyote if you may know? Also are you expected to flesh it before selling it or do you sell it raw?

Historically cheap. Some have no market currently at any price. Best guess for your area Top price for a coyote $20 and coon $10 American Dollars. Averages will be half if you cherry pick them.

FHA June 2022 results

Last edited by Dirt; 11/24/22 10:56 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Got a bunch of old traps, not sure where to start [Re: Saskfly] #7726231
11/24/22 07:51 PM
11/24/22 07:51 PM
Ontario
G
Graham Offline OP
trapper
Graham  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ontario
Originally Posted by Saskfly
Graham,

you need to take the course before you can do anything. The course is going to answer 90% of your questions and will specifically talk about your area and some of the restrictions you might have. They teach you fur handling, trap identification, setting, animal biology, etc.

Here's a list of instructors: https://furmanagers.com/find-an-instructor/

Your about 40 mins from me and will send you a PM with my contact info.

Your first step is the course, you cannot set a trap without your license and you cannot get your license without the course. It can take awhile to get onto the course as there has been a big uptick in people interested in trapping and many instructors did not teach it during Covid.

Once you have the course you apply for your license with the ministry and are good to go.

In our area with the amount of people and pets walked off leash you need to use common sense on what kind of sets you use. So even if the set is legal it might not be a good idea to use it. Your instructor will talk about this during the course. All the trappers in our area trap private property and it's hard enough to get permission without Facebook pages blowing up with someone's pet in a foothold.

Welcome to the addiction, go get the course!

Thanks, there is a guy in my town that offers it nicely enough so I sent him an email

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread