No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7739452
12/09/22 09:50 PM
12/09/22 09:50 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Ever notice all the union workers starting threads in here bashing non union workers? Oh wait,,Ive never seen one of those.

You won't because union workers think they have it made. Kind of like democrats , led by the nose to believe in the union , and get screwed in the end.
Last union shop I worked at filed for bankruptcy , you know who pays my retirement now? The government , the union has nothing to do with it.
Makes me sick the union ruined a company , and won't take care of the workers. Kind of reminds me of democrats ! So after many years of working I'm living off government subsides . Still think unions are good for the workers ? Wait until the company you worked for files.
Think about all the workers that vote democrat just because the union tells them to.
You may not , but you're one of the few !

So,,you are all for the bail out.Im not.You want to live off the Gov.Freebee teat go ahead.I pay my taxes,,you should be alright.Why don't you go get a job instead of live off freebees.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739458
12/09/22 09:55 PM
12/09/22 09:55 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by MattLA

Let me tell you guys something, every benefit that is paid out is tax deductible, what that means is that they aren't giving you insurance because they really care, it's because they can increase their profit by reducing the amount of taxes they pay!

Sometimes a company does care as they can point to where it translates to happy employees, more productivity, etc which in turn makes for greater profit. Id say ive seen it more in smaller private organizations but not exclusively. However to generally think that the mission of a company is to care is somewhat odd to me. They exist to produce product or provide a service in order to make a profit for the owner or shareholder. Companies need employees but companies dont exist for the benefit of the staff.

And by the way, taxes are important from a business and corporate mgmt prespective but taxes alone dont govern business practice either. The US health insurance system provided to most people via private companies for which they work is primarily a result of WW2 manufacturing needs and govt involvement in the process. For the last 3 or 4 decades being a competitive employer has required providing insurance benefits Its as simple as that

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: BigBlackBirds] #7739468
12/09/22 10:04 PM
12/09/22 10:04 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds

Let me tell you guys something, every benefit that is paid out is tax deductible, what that means is that they aren't giving you insurance because they really care, it's because they can increase their profit by reducing the amount of taxes they pay!

Sometimes a company does care as they can point to where it translates to happy employees, more productivity, etc which in turn makes for greater profit. Id say ive seen it more in smaller private organizations but not exclusively. However to generally think that the mission of a company is to care is somewhat odd to me. They exist to produce product or provide a service in order to make a profit for the owner or shareholder. Companies need employees but companies dont exist for the benefit of the staff.

And by the way, taxes are important from a business and corporate mgmt prespective but taxes alone dont govern business practice either. The US health insurance system provided to most people via private companies for which they work is primarily a result of WW2 manufacturing needs and govt involvement in the process. For the last 3 or 4 decades being a competitive employer has required providing insurance benefits Its as simple as that

You sort of right.Offering health insurance along with other benefits,,was a result of the Wage Stabilization Act,,of 1942.Thats when the gov. froze all workers wages.So,,since companies were not allowed to offer more wages(real constitutional right) they had to offer other things to get loyal workers.Health insurance,,PENSIONS,,time off etc.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739469
12/09/22 10:05 PM
12/09/22 10:05 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
You won't because union workers think they have it made. Kind of like democrats , led by the nose to believe in the union , and get screwed in the end.
Last union shop I worked at filed for bankruptcy , you know who pays my retirement now? The government , the union has nothing to do with it.
Makes me sick the union ruined a company , and won't take care of the workers. Kind of reminds me of democrats ! So after many years of working I'm living off government subsides . Still think unions are good for the workers ? Wait until the company you worked for files.
Think about all the workers that vote democrat just because the union tells them to.
You may not , but you're one of the few ![/quote

So,,you are all for the bail out.Im not.You want to live off the Gov.Freebee teat go ahead.I pay my taxes,,you should be alright.Why don't you go get a job instead of live off freebees.

LOL You can't even read what I said . Because of unions , a company can't keep paying retirement benefits. The government ( democrats more than likely ) set up a back up for companies that filed bankruptcy.  So people that depended on their retirement along with their savings could live a good life. You think a companyis going to keep paying workers for the rest of their lives , after paying higher wages and great health care while they worked ? When a union shuts them down over pure BS? I worked for Teamsters and the UAW  , and neither pays my retirement .The company had to invest to cover the retirement . Biden and company sure helped out on any investments didn't they !

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739478
12/09/22 10:14 PM
12/09/22 10:14 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio

Use your head , no one was for the government to bail out the big three or the stock market . Our government did it , and the unions did nothing to help. I didn't ask for the government to pay my retirement benefits . The point is the company went belly up. Where was the union ? They could care less. The government backs it up. Not totally sure , but I think the unions had something to do with it , because a union rep knew all about it ! I was worried about my retirement and asked a union rep, he knew all about it , said don't worry the government backs retirement benefits !

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: BigBlackBirds] #7739480
12/09/22 10:16 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds

I agree with everything you said, but a company is unable to make profit, product products or do anything without employees. Employees are the driving force, the life energy and the muscle of the company, if you don't take care of employees it's likely the company has substandard profits that could be through the roof if only they took care of their employees. CEOs, Boards, and shareholders should all be in support of treating the employees as good as they can because all of their livelihoods are in the hands of those employees. Teams are everything in life and the hard work and dedication employees put into the company put their DNA on the company more than 99% of CEOs ever could. We don't do a great job at showing our young adults or children what a competitive vs non-competitive company looks like and as has been shown in this thread, if a person would take $7.25 an hour the company would jump all over that because they get to make up the difference in profit.

I would be willing to be that if the tax deduction was taken away for all of the benefits and there wasn't a law that forced companies to provide them, we would have a lot of companies that didn't provide them. That's really another conversation, but you brought up some great points that I think everybody could learn from. Thanks.

Last edited by MattLA; 12/09/22 10:17 PM.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739481
AZ
J
jburson Offline
trapper
jburson  Offline
trapper
J

AZ
I'm going to put down the popcorn and add a couple of thoughts from my experience.
I think that I work in fairly unique industry ( Commercial shipping). I belong to a Trade Union not a labor union to join the union you have to hold a license that is issued by the Coast Guard so you have already sailed for at least 5 or six years or gone to a Maritime academy to get your license. I believe this makes it different then some "factory union" where you join when you get hired in.
The union operates a school that provides training, both government mandated training and professional devilment classes. The companies that contract with the union help develop some of the courses so that they get people with skills that they need. Companies can also require that someone have certain qualifications before they take a job.
The union also provides heath care insurance and retirement plans, that the companies don't have to deal with. In a way it is as if the union is functioning as the HR department for the companies that they are contracted with.
As for donating politics the union is a about 50/50. Support for US Flagged shipping , as well as opposition to is split fairly evenly down party lines. The Union supports and works with members of both parties based on their support for the industry.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7739483
12/09/22 10:18 PM
12/09/22 10:18 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Use your head , no one was for the government to bail out the big three or the stock market . Our government did it , and the unions did nothing to help. I didn't ask for the government to pay my retirement benefits . The point is the company went belly up. Where was the union ? They could care less. The government backs it up. Not totally sure , but I think the unions had something to do with it , because a union rep knew all about it ! I was worried about my retirement and asked a union rep, he knew all about it , said don't worry the government backs retirement benefits !

You COMPANY went belly up,,and your blaming the UNION.Sounds like the company took all their golden parachutes and said By By workers.See ya in the Bahamas.You company in mandated by law,to provide you at the minimum yearly, proof that your pension if fully funded.Did that not happen.

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/09/22 10:25 PM.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: upstateNY] #7739493
12/09/22 10:25 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio

You COMPANY went belly up,,and your blaming the UNION.Sounds like the company took all their golden parachutes and said By By workers.See ya in the Bahamas.

Where is the union ? Do you see them helping?

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739495
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
It's amazing my plant makes 93 million a year proffit despite having a union. That's just my plant not the company Sounds like your plant had poor management most likely gave out a lot of bonuses to the top guys thar ran it in the ground and wanted to blame their failures on the union and employees that made them that cash.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Providence Farm] #7739503
12/09/22 10:32 PM
12/09/22 10:32 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
It's amazing my plant makes 93 million a year proffit despite having a union. That's just my plant not the company Sounds like your plant had poor management most likely gave out a lot of bonuses to the top guys thar ran it in the ground and wanted to blame their failures on the union and employees that made them that cash.

Point is a union is for it's self , once you retire , or the company fails , they care less what happens to you.
They got their dues and will find another company to unionize !
What I'm saying is unions did help the workers , until they became political.
It happend long before I got my first job in a factory in 1968 .
It just got worse as time went by.
Why do you think JFK and Bobby were after the unions?

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7739514
12/09/22 10:44 PM
12/09/22 10:44 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
Originally Posted by Dirt
Where did you get the money to pay for that insurance premium? My guess, the company paycheck? Businesses don't need unions to run a business. A union needs a business to be a union. Who is more important?

I think you missed my point. Is it right for us on the bottom to have higher premiums so corporate and management have free healthcare with no deductible while us on the bottom have to set up payment plans for dr. Bills and such.

Yes, you are not as valuable to the company. Obviously.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Dirt] #7739535
12/09/22 10:57 PM
12/09/22 10:57 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Businesses don't need unions to run a business. A union needs a business to be a union. Who is more important?

If companies treated workers fairly,,there would be no unions.Any company that pays comparable wages to unions,,does so in FEAR of the workers unionizing.Get tht through your head.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: upstateNY] #7739540
12/09/22 11:00 PM
12/09/22 11:00 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Businesses don't need unions to run a business. A union needs a business to be a union. Who is more important?

If companies treated workers fairly,,there would be no unions.Any company that pays comparable wages to unions,,does so in FEAR of the workers unionizing.Get tht through your head.

Good point , and the worker doesn't waste money in dues to a worthless union.
The company is better off.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739548
12/09/22 11:07 PM
12/09/22 11:07 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
From what I’m reading is there are a lot of folks that hate their job and didn’t plan for retirement, lol. I truly enjoy my job and plan on a healthy retirement, when I decide to retire. Guess I paired up with a good company and union.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739550
12/09/22 11:10 PM
12/09/22 11:10 PM
AK / ND
A
aknome Offline
trapper
aknome  Offline
trapper
A

AK / ND
Is it possible that unions have created a higher standard of living for most Americans whether they work for a union or non-union business?

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: upstateNY] #7739552
12/09/22 11:12 PM
12/09/22 11:12 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

I thought I asked a question?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: aknome] #7739556
12/09/22 11:14 PM
12/09/22 11:14 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by aknome
Is it possible that unions have created a higher standard of living for most Americans whether they work for a union or non-union business?

Think we have a winner!

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739582
12/09/22 11:43 PM
12/09/22 11:43 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
How does one know when a pension is fully funded?

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Rat Masterson] #7739593
12/09/22 11:56 PM
12/09/22 11:56 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
How does one know when a pension is fully funded?

It's what they call vested, you need so much time on the job to be vested.
It depends on the company , some unions it's as little as 5 years , most companies like to stay around at least 15 to 20 years.
Many non union shops will pay for your education in their field of business, but you have to work for them for a set amount of years .
Others that are union , maybe in shop training at best.
Or volunteer trainers , in some cases.

I'll say it one more time unions did help the workers a great deal , until they became political.

Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread