Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Footprints [Re: bearcat2] #7747305
12/18/22 11:51 PM
12/18/22 11:51 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Originally Posted by bearcat2
Originally Posted by sneaky
Wolves don't like human footprints, but they'll follow snowshoe tracks, snowmobile tracks, sled tracks. They see footprints they gone though. I hung more snares yesterday, but I'm not expecting much til next week when the snow blends everything back in. I wiped out my tracks with a pine bough, but I won't be confident in the sets until snow obscures everything again.

Usually. Other times I've had them walk step for step in my boot tracks. Had one do that a couple weeks ago, had made a couple sets and brushed my tracks out, but didn't bother brushing them out walking down the skid road past them. Dang wolf walked step for step in my boot tracks for a couple hundred yards, the next day, even walked my brushed in tracks over to one set (snow set) but stayed back a couple feet and wouldn't step out on the blended in snow where the trap was. It was snowing when I set and there was about an inch of fresh, but boot tracks still looked pretty much like boot tracks. If I would have just shoved a trap in one of my boot tracks I would have had the dang thing.

I like to brush stuff out with a branch also, looks pretty obvious disturbance right then, but get an inch of snow over it and it really blends in. Best way I've found to blend in boot tracks naturally though is to run over them with a snowmachine if possible.

If they'd let us set in these roads up high you could put one in your boot tracks lol. Looks like an inch or two of snow coming here in the next couple of days. I'll check my snares with binos tomorrow. I'll know before I even get close to the snares if they've come through because they'll walk the road for a good ways and that'll tip me off to make sure I lay eyes on all the cables to confirm they're still up. They're on a weird cycle here this winter. Last winter it was much easier to pattern them. This year they've skipped their meds and all over the place. Guess that free money ran out for them too lol.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Footprints [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7747310
12/19/22 12:00 AM
12/19/22 12:00 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
When I'm out trapping and hauling and cutting up bait all day I smell like an old dead beaver.
I'm like the pied piper-the animals find me extremely interesting and follow me wherever I go.
I keep my hands clean and only handle bait and animals with gloves. Traps and snares bare handed in order to make sure snares and traps dont get any induced smells that dont belong.
Bait/lure scents that are induced where they dont belong is what will bugger up your sets.
As far as movements,animals follow the path of least resistance relatively speaking.

Last edited by Boco; 12/19/22 12:10 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Footprints [Re: Boco] #7747996
12/19/22 07:16 PM
12/19/22 07:16 PM
Catskills, New York
ToCatchAPredator Offline OP
trapper
ToCatchAPredator  Offline OP
trapper

Catskills, New York
Originally Posted by Boco
When I'm out trapping and hauling and cutting up bait all day I smell like an old dead beaver.
I'm like the pied piper-the animals find me extremely interesting and follow me wherever I go.
I keep my hands clean and only handle bait and animals with gloves. Traps and snares bare handed in order to make sure snares and traps dont get any induced smells that dont belong.
Bait/lure scents that are induced where they dont belong is what will bugger up your sets.
As far as movements,animals follow the path of least resistance relatively speaking.

Boco I’m not a fox trapper, enjoy them too much and let them go. But I’ll tell you what I have a fox visit almost every dp I set and follow my tracks to my water trapping spots. If only I could have that effect on coyotes.

You said you use bare hands to set? How do you get the scent off of your hands before setting? You had my curiosity now you have my attention lol

Re: Footprints [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7748268
12/19/22 10:48 PM
12/19/22 10:48 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted by ToCatchAPredator
[quote=Boco] You said you use bare hands to set? How do you get the scent off of your hands before setting? You had my curiosity now you have my attention lol
I'm not "Boco" but I set bare handed also. IMO in most good coyote habitat, around rural farm and ranch areas, coyotes are very familiar with human (and other) scent and do not shy away from it unless concentrated in one spot associated with something else like a baited dirt hole; pee post or whatever.
In my experience if you are basically clean you leave very little scent with your feet or hands. If you are worried about it just rub some local vegetation on your hands before setting. Actually, you leave much more scent from your body; essentially have confidence, keep it simple and just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible. Your body sheds off much more scent than you leave with bare hands and will generally dissipate in a day or so.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Footprints [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7748431
12/20/22 05:23 AM
12/20/22 05:23 AM
Catskills, New York
ToCatchAPredator Offline OP
trapper
ToCatchAPredator  Offline OP
trapper

Catskills, New York
Yeah I was rubbing my hands down with vegetation until I picked up some poison ivy all over the top of my left hand. So needless to say I’m not making that mistake again. Must have had a root in the soil that I didn’t see and got it all over my hands.

As for the coyotes with smell, I’ve had them come right into a gut pile that I’ve spit, peed, sweat, and stepped all around. Shot a doe on november 19th and saw a yote come in around 5am the next morning to that guy pile. Two and a half weeks later set a dirt hole within 20 ft of where I shot that doe and no committing to the dirt hole. Really has me wondering if it’s the boots in the snow or if it’s something more simple that I’m missing. Have a bobcat that I know where it’s tracks are, setting on the tracks, cannot get the cat to commit to coming into the sets. He just walks right past. Hoping to at if there is scent at the sets the two days of raining coming in will help a little.

Last edited by ToCatchAPredator; 12/20/22 08:24 AM.
Re: Footprints [Re: Davexx1] #7758965
12/31/22 09:49 AM
12/31/22 09:49 AM
MI
F
Fourcoil Offline
trapper
Fourcoil  Offline
trapper
F

MI
Ur boots carry all kinds of scent. Have watched does and bks follow where i have walked rt to tree. Watched yote turn inside out when hit my trail across open field. Have tried sprayin btms w/scent killer w/ some success. If u want to be serious boots dedicated to settin only will help.

Re: Footprints [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7759006
12/31/22 10:25 AM
12/31/22 10:25 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Area dependent. Ive got coyote tracks on top of my boot tracks here

Re: Footprints [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7763136
01/05/23 07:45 AM
01/05/23 07:45 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline
trapper

Communist State Of New York
When trapping coyotes I never pass a stream, spring or mud puddle with out stepping in it and scrapping my boots back and forth. Probably unnecessary but hey, I'm OCD.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91