No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7760906
01/02/23 03:18 PM
01/02/23 03:18 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Ive always thought that labor unions should be treated more like outside companies rather than some special entity. Say the local hospital needs lots of nurses. They contract with Bob's Nurses for X number of nurses for Y amount of money for however long the contract is. If Bob's nurses suck, the company can terminate the contract and hire contract with Larry's Better Nurses. If the company liked a few of Bob's nurses, they could contract individually with the hospital. Likewise if a Bob's nurse thought that the company Bob's Nurses is the one that sucked, the nurse can try to hire in with another company or the hospital.

I think all employees should be contract employees. Maybe a company could exist that provides help to the employees to look at the contracts being offered and look for dangers or compare the contracts to other coontraxts for the same job in other areas.

I don't think an employee being held hostage by an idiot union is a good idea.

Thay have these and they are cald temp services/agency's.. try it out and see how you like it. I will stick with my union.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7760928
01/02/23 03:42 PM
01/02/23 03:42 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Thats how they should function. Unions arent really any better. They just have better PR and nastalgia. They dont make employees better than nonunion.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7761057
01/02/23 07:20 PM
01/02/23 07:20 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Held hostage.Haha.You are aware than anyone that wishes not to work union,,does not HAVE to apply for a union job.

Last edited by upstateNY; 01/02/23 07:32 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761070
01/02/23 07:34 PM
01/02/23 07:34 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Shouldnt have to be union to work any job. Sure if you want their bennies join the union. If you dont want the intendant garbage that goes wjth a union you shouldn't have to join. If a company has a union and they need position that has to be a union job, the union should be responsible for filling it. Not the company.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: upstateNY] #7761078
01/02/23 07:43 PM
01/02/23 07:43 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Originally Posted by upstateNY

Held hostage.Haha.You are aware than anyone that wishes not to work union,,does not HAVE to apply for a union job.

confused

EXACTLY!!!

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Giant Sage] #7761084
01/02/23 07:45 PM
01/02/23 07:45 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Originally Posted by Mark June
I've owned a business with employees and I've worked during my life for union (grocery store: UFCW) and nonunion companies.
I only learned one thing during all those decades.
Some people want to work.
Some people don't want to work.
Some people need to work.
Some people don't need to work.
Some people's identity is tied to their work.
Some people's identity isn't tied to their work.

People are individuals and so general statements are always false.

I've had more than a few people as trapping partners, especially when research projects are assigned and it's quite interesting to see how these non-union employees role. The good. The bad. And the UGLY!

Blessings,
Mark

[Linked Image] sorry Mark, your reply just made me think of my old partners Tuko, Blonde, and Angel Eyes.
grin

Angel eyes has lost some weight whistle

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: upstateNY] #7761111
01/02/23 08:05 PM
01/02/23 08:05 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by upstateNY

Also the point is you have a job and your union is holding out for some ridiculous demands that are out of scale for the market, there's no option for you if the company decides to shut the place down and go elsewhere.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761144
01/02/23 08:29 PM
01/02/23 08:29 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Go someplace else, like the whole steel industry did in the 1970's. Moved out of Pittsburgh and went to Japan. 10-11,000 steel workers a year lost their jobs, that went on for a decade.

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 01/02/23 08:33 PM.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761435
01/03/23 02:50 AM
01/03/23 02:50 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Been a teamster for 35 years there are pros and cons on both sides of the aisle but I will say the company employees salary is directly reflected on how much the hourly people make . That is why most salaried employees at this company always hope that we receive good contracts because if they come after us then they are next. I can't complain about this job it has enabled me to have more than I ever thought possible in my life time and also I am not afraid to admit I probably don't have what it takes to run a company of my own like many on this site do and that makes you all a cut above in my book ... Jon

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761542
01/03/23 09:04 AM
01/03/23 09:04 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Jon, Anyone that owns their own business, and who has employees for more than the first few years (most businesses don't survive 5 years) comes to know a bunch about other people's work ethics. Some people will become life long friends as a matter of fact, due to the connection at "work."

Pride, greed, sloth, envy, wrath, gluttony, and lust didn't start with unions and unions won't end them either, but people's good intentions to make life "better" is in the eye of the beholder as they say.
And some people do not see eye to eye.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761614
01/03/23 11:00 AM
01/03/23 11:00 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
One fact you cant argue is that unions have helped the worker and their families immensely,both union and non union.

Last edited by Boco; 01/03/23 11:00 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761625
01/03/23 11:17 AM
01/03/23 11:17 AM
Stanton Mi.
B
BigJoe. Offline
trapper
BigJoe.  Offline
trapper
B

Stanton Mi.
I have worked both sides. I worked for Ryder truck rental (non union) as a mechanic for 9 years. Fair pay, fair benefits, small pension. If you were a bad worker, you would get written up, then discipline, then terminated. Then I was offered a job at UPS(Teamsters Union)as a mechanic. Better pay, better benefits, and better pension. Same applies, if you are a bad worker you get written up, then discipline, then terminated. The difference at that point was you were allowed a hearing. But, if the company didn't want you, you were gone. And those employees who were dishonest, gone. No second chance.
So seeing it from both sides for a fair amount of time, working for a company with a union was more beneficial. It's all what you make of the job/career.
Now that I'm retwith a good pension, I'm glad I made that move 27 years ago.

Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association Director at Large
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761681
01/03/23 12:32 PM
01/03/23 12:32 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
I'd like to see some of your alls contracts. The UAW had a disciplinary procedure. First a verbal warning, second a written, third a written and two days off, fourth a written and ten days off, then fired. Also, this had to happen inside of a year because infractions fell off on there one year anniversary.

Once fired the employee or the local could file a grievance and always did. Then the grievance went through steps one and two then at step three the grievance committee met with the Company, if they didn't "make a deal" then the chief steward brought it to the union meeting and the union body voted as to send it to the IPS panel at the UAW headquarters.

99 times out of a hundred the members voted to send it to IPS. If IPS voted to take the case it went to arbitration and they paid the cost of the hearing. If they voted it down then the chief steward would bring it back to the union members and they would vote as to take it to arbitration on the locals dime. Only if the local members voted it down was the employee fired and that didn't happen much.

It basically took a act of God to get fired.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761781
01/03/23 02:29 PM
01/03/23 02:29 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Catch---

I'd hate to guess how many contracts I negotiated over the years. One heck of a bunch with a heck of a bunch of unions. That disciplinary process is relatively standard in every contract with minor tweaks for timelines, steps involved and internal union politics.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Catch22] #7761796
01/03/23 02:48 PM
01/03/23 02:48 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Catch22
I'd like to see some of your alls contracts. The UAW had a disciplinary procedure. First a verbal warning, second a written, third a written and two days off, fourth a written and ten days off, then fired. Also, this had to happen inside of a year because infractions fell off on there one year anniversary.

Once fired the employee or the local could file a grievance and always did. Then the grievance went through steps one and two then at step three the grievance committee met with the Company, if they didn't "make a deal" then the chief steward brought it to the union meeting and the union body voted as to send it to the IPS panel at the UAW headquarters.

99 times out of a hundred the members voted to send it to IPS. If IPS voted to take the case it went to arbitration and they paid the cost of the hearing. If they voted it down then the chief steward would bring it back to the union members and they would vote as to take it to arbitration on the locals dime. Only if the local members voted it down was the employee fired and that didn't happen much.

It basically took a act of God to get fired.

Dang, we need to switch unions, lol. Ours isn’t like that as far as voting. And there are certain offenses that you can be fired on the spot. Yeah you can appeal and only two that I know of where the employee was given a second chance.
Come to think of it, I’ve been in nonunion jobs that were the same way.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761820
01/03/23 03:27 PM
01/03/23 03:27 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Left this post awhile back and guess what the short bus rider and his girlfriend are still at it. Let's see if they are men enough to admit something . Do labor unions use the money from union dues to support mostly Dems and their policies? I will take that question for you yes. So why do either of you come on here saying you support gun rights or any other conservative view points when you give money to people who fight against said rights? I will be waiting to see which side of your mouth you will be talking out of this time. Oh by the way my state is better than yours and if you will pardon me being only 2 it's nap time. lol

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Wanna Be] #7761824
01/03/23 03:31 PM
01/03/23 03:31 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Post WW11 we had very high union membership in our work force and we had the largest middle class we have ever had with less government, few budget deficits and a small national debt. For the last 40 years we have worked hard to dismantle unions so that business owners could have more leverage, and control of their businesses. Has that worked out? Now we have a very mobile work force with many not wanting to feel dependent on a firm long term and are willing to move or put in their time as they see fit. We have a worker shortage now and for the foreseeable future. If we think that workers are going to cave to owners we need to rethink the future. Now days with only the worker having to answer to themselves they can and do what they feel is best for them and their families. With more and more working off site and many firms encouraging that type of employment to save overhead it is not going to change quickly. Real easy to be job searching while working these days you can use the company computer if you want to.

Bryce

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Boco] #7761833
01/03/23 03:44 PM
01/03/23 03:44 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Boco
One fact you cant argue is that unions have helped the worker and their families immensely,both union and non union.

oh, they really helped tens of thousands of workers loose their jobs and have them shipped over seas or to non-union locations.

Unions are like anything, good and bad parts to them.

I have worked in several union places in the manufacturing sector.

One place I worked for had 7 different unions. It had to be really great, I mean if a union is good 7 unions ought to be the workers paradise.
I was in engineering and it was union too.
Without a doubt it was the most inefficient poorly run place I have ever worked, alot of the blame goes to management but also alot of it was the unions.

Alot of the management came up from the ranks so they had a union mindset. Don't work too fast, if the job is quoted at 40 hours take 40 hours.
If you get it done in 20 hrs they make you rework or redo your work till you've spent 40 hrs, then its good.

Your dept is responsible for one thing, pass the work on to the next dept, they do their job they pass it on and so forth.
When the job gets to the end of the line the last dept has to make it work. Because its been designed and made as they always do it it has the same problems.
The last dept tears it all apart, redesigns it and remakes it. I saw it done several times.
When I mentioned this to my boss his reply was "its not our responsibility, we just design it, don't worry about it".
No concern about doing anything so that the company can be profitable. I guess everyone thought the place was invincible.
The place is now nothing but a empty dirty lot that once held a large manufacturing place that employed thousands of workers. AO Smith Automotive in Milwaukee if any of you are curious.
Incidentally the workers that came out of that place had the reputation of being a joke. The longer someone worked there the less desirable they were to other employers.

If unions would work with the company instead of always against them they would be useful. If they were smart they would offer to take over hiring, firing, training and the quality of the work done. Get rid of the bad employees, train and help the new employees and hire from referrals from within. If the workers had a vested interest in working efficiently and productively and got paid for that then employers would gladly have unions.
Then they would have something worth a higher price. As it is now they have nothing beneficial to the company. In fact they fight to keep the bad employees and brow beat the good employees to slow down so they don't make the leakers look bad.

I know of a manufacturing place that paid bonuses based on output above targets. The bonuses were paid by the dept and divided equally among the dept. The employees worked together and made the place tick. They would go to management and tell them to fire other bad employees. If only union workers were smart enough to figure that out.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761837
01/03/23 03:49 PM
01/03/23 03:49 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Post WWII it was shameful to accept charity. A good work ethic was common. That has slowly reversed itself. IMO working a job for forty years to get that pension, with collective bargaining, the reward of hard work is not there. The most productive union man is paid the same wage, same benefit, same pension, as the least productive union man. Then came the war on poverty. Food stamps, cash assistance, housing subsidies, utility subsidies, tax paid health care.

Its not rocket science why manufacturing moved out of the country. We are in a bad place. We don't even have the tanning and manufacturing ability to make boots for infantry men. Very little steel production. We rely heavily on computer hardware we don't produce.

Unions played a HUGE part in loss of manufacturing.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761845
01/03/23 04:00 PM
01/03/23 04:00 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
The International Unions heavily backed the President who signed NAFTA. Then after cutting the union members throat, they had the audacity to keep supporting D's and strongly wanting the union body to continue to vote for D's. If that ain't messed up I don't know what is.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread