No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 5300 coon season [Re: bodycount] #7763162
01/05/23 08:24 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
When I think of trapping machines:
I'm not sure what his annual catch totals were but Dave Plueger from Eastern Iowa had a system down for river trapping that averaged a 50% catch rate using pocket sets with footholds. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times- he meets the criteria of a humble, unassuming guy that piles up a ton coon every year. I remember when he did a demo at the WTA in Marshfield Wisconsin, a couple people that liked to hear their own voice interjected thoughts and second guessed a few of his sets/methods, he fielded those questions that with the highest level of humility. He's perfected his methods for 40 years- sometimes you're better off listening rather than talking.

Re: 5300 coon season [Re: bodycount] #7763164

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

mink 99,
See the above comment about 6 figure incomes. In answer to your question, yes.

Re: 5300 coon season [Re: bodycount] #7763166
01/05/23 08:27 AM
01/05/23 08:27 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
40 years ago I figured out that I could make a lot more money catching than I could skinning, and some people on here still apparently haven't figured that out.

I want to see the system that produces that number of coon. I would like to know if it's similar to what I did, just at a bigger scale or if there are efficiency aspects to it that I never figured out. Very intriguing to me. I know the competition and the habitat are big factors but there seems like there must be more to it than that. I'm in awe.

Last edited by BernieB.; 01/05/23 08:30 AM.
Re: 5300 coon season [Re: Eagleye] #7763197
01/05/23 08:54 AM
01/05/23 08:54 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Originally Posted by Eagleye
I'm not sure what his annual catch totals were but Dave Plueger from Eastern Iowa had a system down for river trapping that averaged a 50% catch rate using pocket sets with footholds. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times- he meets the criteria of a humble, unassuming guy that piles up a ton coon every year. I remember when he did a demo at the WTA in Marshfield Wisconsin, a couple people that liked to hear their own voice interjected thoughts and second guessed a few of his sets/methods, he fielded those questions that with the highest level of humility. He's perfected his methods for 40 years- sometimes you're better off listening rather than talking.

Blackie from Ohio perfected the river trapping system also. Great trappers have a way of doing that.

Re: 5300 coon season [Re: bodycount] #7763202
01/05/23 09:00 AM
01/05/23 09:00 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
5300 coon, 900+ mink and 3000 grinners, skunks and muskrats. In one season. That’s a lot of critters.

Look at the bright side. It’s all hearsay. .

Re: 5300 coon season [Re: BvrRetriever] #7763206
01/05/23 09:02 AM
01/05/23 09:02 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
Originally Posted by Giant Sage
2006 Iowa had 78 check days that would be just over 68 coon and 9 + mink a days average.

68 coon in a day is way more than possible…especially in the Iowa area. It’s maintaining that average that’s the problem. Especially when you take into consideration that the coon catch rate drops off progressively as the end of season gets near. Dealing with the fur shed duties while maintaining a serious trap line with that many per day for that long is the next problem. Even if you only skin and freeze the hides, it’s going to take you the better part of the year to put it up. I personally don’t see myself or anyone getting that done….even if my wife brings me breakfast, lunch and supper and skins my catch…and gives me a back massage after that! Boys, it’s not real!!

I can't say. It's beyond anything I can comprehend. I was just showing the math. I can't say that I would agree on late season being a slow down in coon hearvet in IA, there's to many factors some of my largest catches have been in January Iowa while mink trapping. One winter just shy of 400 incidental coon while mink trapping. Southern IA can have some pretty open January's.

Re: 5300 coon season [Re: mike mason] #7763209
01/05/23 09:04 AM
01/05/23 09:04 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by mike mason
Originally Posted by Eagleye

Blackie from Ohio perfected the river trapping system also. Great trappers have a way of doing that.

And the harder they work the luckier they get

Re: 5300 coon season [Re: bodycount] #7763276
01/05/23 10:29 AM
01/05/23 10:29 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
One thing about it, there probably not on the internet bickering about it, like the rest of us.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread