No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7768055
01/10/23 01:35 PM
01/10/23 01:35 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
Here's a good one - zero dark thirty I come up on a mid sized beaver suitcased in 330. As I approached the beaver I swear I see its whiskers move, ok so load pistol, BANG! Reach to removed the beaver and the dang whiskers twitch again! OK BANG again, two shots in the head ought to do it. I reach down to remove the beaver now, stiff as a board.

Yep shot a DEAD beaver TWICE!!!!! LOL

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7768083
01/10/23 02:02 PM
01/10/23 02:02 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
These are the ones that came to mind:

I was too young to remember but dad and grandpa tried the old indian smoke trick to get a coon out of a hollow tree... I guess we had our hands full there for quite awhile. lol.

I was just a little shaver and can remember chucking rocks from high on the bank as dad hung limb lines at the waters edge, he said don't throw anymore rocks, so I chuck the biggest one I could lift to be funny, and bonked him right in the head. I don't know how it didn't kill him.

In grade school i was walking along with dad on the rat line and insisted that I had to go set a trap on my own... so he set a 110... I think I got about 100 yards before I stuck my forearm through it.

I had a coon come back to life in the game bag on the back of coat once. My buddies laughed themselves to death when I shed the coat and shot the coon through it.

I shotgunned a yote and it was down but looking at me so I went to step on its neck to shoot it behind the ear with a pistol and it grabbed ahold of the toe of my boot and wouldn't let go. Luckily leather boots that day and not pull on rubber ones.

I'm sure there are more.

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7768319
01/10/23 06:55 PM
01/10/23 06:55 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
This wasn’t while trapping, but I bounced a fist sized rock off grizzly’s head at fairly close range. Won’t do that again.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7768359
01/10/23 07:57 PM
01/10/23 07:57 PM
N MN
D
DHH Offline
trapper
DHH  Offline
trapper
D

N MN
Had gotten in the habit of pulling quill on skunks after skinned the following day . Well one night was busy skinning and had a skunk opened up and went to strip the tale ( had it hanging by one foot , left hand on rump right hand on tail stripper ) as I pulled I felt what was like a 20cc syringe blasting my cheek and running down my neck . As I run out of the fur shed gagging I couldn't even catch my breath . After I let things air out I finished skinning went to the house , stripped down and went to shower . Nothing I used got rid of smell , after a few days I started to smell like some nasty burnt rubber . Tried to stay out of town but eventually had to go do business . Sure turned people's head's , LoL . Thankfully have a wife that tolerates me

I'd Rather Try And Fail Then Not Try And Succeed
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7768822
01/11/23 09:50 AM
01/11/23 09:50 AM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
Was trapping along a old train track rightaway for a nuisance beaver job. Set up a 330 and put my castor out and sure enough the two year old comes swimming by huffing and slapping his tail. Well this trail is heavily traveled by the public and there was a gentleman standing on a bridge with his dog watching. Not wanting the beaver to get caught well a member of the public was watching I stood there and scared the beaver off. After the gentleman left I climbed back up to the trail and walked out onto the bridge and sure enough the beaver comes out and right into the trap. Got a nice video of it actually. Back down to the trap I go, remove the beaver reset the trap and throw him into my tote on the back of the ATV. Heading down the trail and I see the Gentleman and his dog ahead of me and slow down to pass him. I hear him start to yell at me but cannot make out the words. I stop thinking I either have a tree hugger that's going to lecture me or a landowner who needs some beaver removed. As I turned on the ATV to look back and talk to him I came eye to eye with the beaver in the tote. It was standing with his front two legs on the edge of the tote, with his head about even with mine.

Well I went off the front of the ATV and the beaver went off the back. It charged straight down the trail at the man and his dog who scattered left and right. That beaver never looked back or slowed down and boy they are faster on land then I thought. Never did talk to the Gentleman just back on the ATV and gone.

Caught the pair the next check. Another trapper in the area called me up about a week later to ask about my new method of live trapping beaver, guess the gentleman had a great time telling the story all over town.

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7768850
01/11/23 10:48 AM
01/11/23 10:48 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Good story Sask, made me laugh.