Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Coyote quizz [Re: Boone Liane] #7768466
01/10/23 09:38 PM
01/10/23 09:38 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
I’d put my money on the initial human intrusion levels boogering them up. Especially if it’s an area that normally doesn’t have a lot of human activity.

If they’re pressured coyotes (and good luck finding un-pressured coyotes this time of year) that could be a big turn off.

Spank a few in the area, shake things up, get some new blood moved in and I bet things change.

Jan/Feb coyotes are not the same beasts they were in Oct/Nov. Not these days anymore what with everybody and their dog out harassing them day and night with fox pros and thermals.

This is just a little over a mile from my house and I'm positive any coyote in the neighborhood as seen my sets and ran from a four wheeler and likely been shot at by the mail lady. Lol

Re: Coyote quizz [Re: Pawnee] #7769601
01/12/23 07:50 AM
01/12/23 07:50 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline
trapper

Communist State Of New York
Originally Posted by Pawnee
. I’m convinced that coyotes can smell non confidence (for the lack of a better term) at the set. I believe being absolutely confident while making the set is more important than wearing gloves or any scent control. I maybe nuts crazy

There might be something to that. When I first started trapping in the 1970's I couldn't catch a fox. I tried and tried and finally on New Years Day I had one!! I was pumped! After that I started catching them regularly and the following year I probably caught 20. I was definitely more confident although I was also probably becoming more skilled as well.

Re: Coyote quizz [Re: Yes sir] #7770302
01/12/23 09:42 PM
01/12/23 09:42 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
i've seen where they readily eat dead deer and other times wont touch it also. just few common things that i sorta think are patterns that ill ramble about

we've got a pile of deer in this country; farm fields bordered by cover. 50-100 in many sections is common. coyotes on the other hand are few and far between. so food is plentiful and competition not high for it.

but when dead deer are really hit hard by coyotes tends to be early fall here. they flock to them at that point. and by they i mean the families we have with pups. they gorge themselves putting on that final weight towards adulthood in my thoughts. and theres still alot of crop cover at that point which makes it harder for humans to find them. after that things start to change. they tend to not hit any particular one dead carcass over and over or for any length of time and more will go untouched than touched. the weather can tweak that response but its not a given as even then they are very selective in what they hit , where, and when. once early spring rolls around you will see them start to actively hit the carcasses again also

many of those early season deer carcasses are archery related and lost. i think there is something to freshness maybe even somewhat still alive and that has not been disturbed by humans or is secluded. same goes for the first couple days of our gun season.

we know they communicate vocally and im fairly sure ive heard them call in others to freshly found deer in the early fall. and i have no doubt certain coyotes are great teachers about what to avoid. i wouldnt be shocked if they can communicate avoidance areas in some manner, maybe vocally. around here i dont think they have many others to call out to though but they sure know where to avoid.

Re: Coyote quizz [Re: Yes sir] #7770693
01/13/23 10:56 AM
01/13/23 10:56 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Human odor concentrations may play a role. I have found in many cases that dead deer that are located in what coyotes consider a non comfortable location can cause refusal to feed. Too close to a road, bad experiences for them when they visit some areas. They learn to avoid some places at all costs due to a learned behavior.

Re: Coyote quizz [Re: Bob Jameson] #7770713
01/13/23 11:38 AM
01/13/23 11:38 AM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Human odor concentrations may play a role. I have found in many cases that dead deer that are located in what coyotes consider a non comfortable location can cause refusal to feed. Too close to a road, bad experiences for them when they visit some areas. They learn to avoid some places at all costs due to a learned behavior.

X 2 on this. Good example. I have caught 9 coyotes with in = 15 yards from a Texas county road. Plenty of road and farm traffic. I run it first and early. BUT dont the same road. Is a dead 3 pt mule deer. UNTOUCHED for last 10 days. Ranchers in area are saying = deer untouched because I have caught so many coyotes! I appreciate the compliment. But it not true I tell them. Cause in still catching them other places. Coyotes are funny aniamals. IF you ever think you have them figured out. They will do something to make you think other wise! LOL! 35 years of catching coyotes. And they still are teaching me new things on a daily basis

Re: Coyote quizz [Re: steeltraps] #7772282
01/14/23 09:29 PM
01/14/23 09:29 PM
MI
F
Fourcoil Offline
trapper
Fourcoil  Offline
trapper
F

MI
Lots of dead dr here in mich. Road kill and hunter woundin. Have noticed yotes not hittin um till real cold weather. They have lots to eat. Got to b spot on with sets. Took month for um to start on doe in fence line 50 yds from rd. Keep um set.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91