Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: baiting for coyote snares [Re: Yes sir] #7795295
02/10/23 03:43 PM
02/10/23 03:43 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Here's its 24 hrs and so far back from road ways which means a lot of spots I would snare here would require me to get really close to snares to check daily which can and does have an effect on the coyotes. Wonder what some of you more experienced snare men think of this. If you had to check every 24 hours and had to get off the beaten path so to speak Especially if you had to walk up to snare to check daily would it have an effect on the efficiency of your snaring in your opinion?
Yes it would have a effect on efficiency. To reduce the effect do as I said in my previous
post. But, mark your snares with a orange florescent painted clothes pin attached to a limb/whatever above or near the snare so you can locate it at a greater distance.
Walking thru the same route each check should make the coyotes think it's a normal routine and of no significant threat.

Last edited by bctomcat; 02/10/23 03:54 PM.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: baiting for coyote snares [Re: wildturkey] #7795533
02/10/23 09:03 PM
02/10/23 09:03 PM
Valders, WI
Alex the dog Offline
trapper
Alex the dog  Offline
trapper

Valders, WI
Some very interesting information being shared here. Has anyone had succes into a frozen cattail marsh, matting down an area to start a bait site and then hung cable on the natural openings / funnel points that are present?

Dave

Last edited by Alex the dog; 02/15/23 04:04 AM.

Forever in debt to my Father who introduced me to trapping.
May I be half the man he was.
Re: baiting for coyote snares [Re: Alex the dog] #7795614
02/10/23 10:04 PM
02/10/23 10:04 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Alex the dog
Some very interesting information being shared here. Has anyone had succes into a frozen cattail marsh, matting down an area to start a bait site and then hung cable on the natural openings / funnel points that are present?

Dav3

I do a fair amount of snaring in just that senerio. You don't have to mat down to big of an area, the coyotes will do that for you once they find it. Set on trails they make but don't set snares too close. You can set multiple snares on each trail.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: baiting for coyote snares [Re: wildturkey] #7795732
02/11/23 01:24 AM
02/11/23 01:24 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
That's how i started snaring.I had leased a large marsh I allowed duck hunting but I was after the rats. The duck hunters beat down many trails as they accessed open water. Once the marsh froze I dumped all my saved rat carcasses on the ice or up on the rat huts. Then I started hanging snares In those trails. The fox were already using those trails checking out the rat huts. The bait just made things better.

I would drill a hole in the ice and drop a dead man through the hole to anchor the snare.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: baiting for coyote snares [Re: 20scout] #7795825
02/11/23 08:22 AM
02/11/23 08:22 AM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Originally Posted by 20scout
Originally Posted by Alex the dog

Dav3

I do a fair amount of snaring in just that senerio. You don't have to mat down to big of an area, the coyotes will do that for you once they find it. Set on trails they make but don't set snares too close. You can set multiple snares on each trail.

This scenario works great. I have a spot just like this. Tall cat tails and reed canary. What's nice there are a few beaver runs running through this and am able to put bait in and setup the trails before the coyote move in. There are some years I don't even need to put bait out.

Re: baiting for coyote snares [Re: wildturkey] #7796499
02/11/23 11:17 PM
02/11/23 11:17 PM
Valders, WI
Alex the dog Offline
trapper
Alex the dog  Offline
trapper

Valders, WI
Thanks.for.the replies!

Dave

Forever in debt to my Father who introduced me to trapping.
May I be half the man he was.
Re: baiting for coyote snares [Re: Bob Jameson] #7797610
02/13/23 01:00 PM
02/13/23 01:00 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
The Beav gives very good advice.

I agree- to me the snare is the ultimate blind set and the quicker the target is moving the more apt he is to get caught. Bigshane and Clint Locklear got me to come around to that way of thinking and I catch a lot more with snares on open trails than brushy ones now

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91