No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Interesting Canadian history. #7799575
02/15/23 10:01 PM
02/15/23 10:01 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline OP
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline OP
trapper

ohio
1815 became known in Nova Scotia as “Anno Marium” or “The Year Of The Mice” because the province was overrun by an invasion of the rodents!
“...An army of mice marched over Colchester, Pictou and Antigonish Counties, eating everything before it as it advanced. It was a veritable plague, as serious for a time as that of the frogs sent upon the land of Egypt,” recalled the 1892 booklet ‘Forest, Stream and Seashore.’ The topic was a curious choice to include in that early tourism guide, since rodent invasions aren’t typically known for attracting tourists.
In 1877 Dr. George Patterson went around Nova Scotia interviewing old timers about the strange incident, compiling their tales in his book ‘History of Pictou County.’ He wrote:
“The [mice] were very destructive and actually fierce. If pursued, when hard pressed, they would stand at bay, rising upon their hind legs, setting their teeth and squealing fiercely. A farmer on whom I could rely told me that having, after planting, spread out some barley to dry in the sun before the door, in a little while he saw it covered with them. He let the cat out among them, but they actually turned upon her and fought her.”
Dr. Patterson wrote that the mice appeared without warning; “during the previous season they did not appear in any unusual numbers.” But that Spring “before planting was over, the woods and fields alike swarmed with them.”
That Summer the mice grew worse: “These animals swarmed everywhere, and consumed everything edible, even the potatoes in the ground. In some houses at West River are still reserved books which the leather on the covers has been gnawed by them.”
When Autumn rolled in –that important time when crops were harvested for the winter– the mice ate everything: “They have been known to cut down an acre in three days, so that whole fields were destroyed in a short time … Over acres and acres, they left not a stalk standing, nor a grain of wheat, to reward the labours of the farmer.”
The mice caused a crop failure. The all too real threat of starvation hung over Nova Scotia.
A newspaper report by farmer Nathaniel Symond in Antigonish stated: “upwards of five hundred souls … had nothing to subsist on but the very scanty allowance of milk their cows afforded them.”
A large scale aid effort was launched to provide food to parts of Nova Scotia facing starvation that winter.
Dr. Patterson wrote that when the weather grew colder the mice grew sluggish and began to die by the thousands. Possibly in an effort to eat seaweed washing up on the shore, they made their way towards the coast: “and there died, forming a ridge like seaweed along the edge of the sea, and codfish were caught off the coast with carcasses in their maws.”
For more on The Year Of The Mice, and other forgotten stories from Atlantic Canada’s history, listen to the Backyard History Podcast, on
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5FFZ1eDHZPAFqwN4p0vraA
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/.../backyard-history/id1593957909
Or, if you don’t have podcasts, at https://backyardhistory.ca/podcast
Read the full article: https://backyardhistory.ca/articles/f/the-year-of-the-mice
Photo Information: Nova Scotia’s Year Of The Mice was a one off incident that happened before cameras. This photograph is from Australia, where rodent invasions are common. It was taken in Lescalles, Victoria by F. G. England in 1917.
Find more hidden stories that happened in our own backyards at www.backyardhistory.ca

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7799579
02/15/23 10:03 PM
02/15/23 10:03 PM
ohio
trapper
trapper

ohio

Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7799651
02/15/23 11:55 PM
02/15/23 11:55 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I saw a grey squirrel migration once. It was amazing, but passed by in a little less than an hour. There were thousands of squirrels in it. They had no fear of my friend Ralph and I or of his dogs and cats.

I wonder what makes rodents gather together and travel like that?

Keith

Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: KeithC] #7799654
02/15/23 11:57 PM
02/15/23 11:57 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by KeithC
I saw a grey squirrel migration once. It was amazing, but passed by in a little less than an hour. There were thousands of squirrels in it. They had no fear of my friend Ralph and I or of his dogs and cats.

Keith

Free welfare.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7799823
02/16/23 09:34 AM
02/16/23 09:34 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
1815 became known in Nova Scotia as “Anno Marium” or “The Year Of The Mice” because the province was overrun by an invasion of the rodents!
“...An army of mice marched over Colchester, Pictou and Antigonish Counties, eating everything before it as it advanced. It was a veritable plague, as serious for a time as that of the frogs sent upon the land of Egypt,” recalled the 1892 booklet ‘Forest, Stream and Seashore.’ The topic was a curious choice to include in that early tourism guide, since rodent invasions aren’t typically known for attracting tourists.
In 1877 Dr. George Patterson went around Nova Scotia interviewing old timers about the strange incident, compiling their tales in his book ‘History of Pictou County.’ He wrote:
“The [mice] were very destructive and actually fierce. If pursued, when hard pressed, they would stand at bay, rising upon their hind legs, setting their teeth and squealing fiercely. A farmer on whom I could rely told me that having, after planting, spread out some barley to dry in the sun before the door, in a little while he saw it covered with them. He let the cat out among them, but they actually turned upon her and fought her.”
Dr. Patterson wrote that the mice appeared without warning; “during the previous season they did not appear in any unusual numbers.” But that Spring “before planting was over, the woods and fields alike swarmed with them.”
That Summer the mice grew worse: “These animals swarmed everywhere, and consumed everything edible, even the potatoes in the ground. In some houses at West River are still reserved books which the leather on the covers has been gnawed by them.”
When Autumn rolled in –that important time when crops were harvested for the winter– the mice ate everything: “They have been known to cut down an acre in three days, so that whole fields were destroyed in a short time … Over acres and acres, they left not a stalk standing, nor a grain of wheat, to reward the labours of the farmer.”
The mice caused a crop failure. The all too real threat of starvation hung over Nova Scotia.
A newspaper report by farmer Nathaniel Symond in Antigonish stated: “upwards of five hundred souls … had nothing to subsist on but the very scanty allowance of milk their cows afforded them.”
A large scale aid effort was launched to provide food to parts of Nova Scotia facing starvation that winter.
Dr. Patterson wrote that when the weather grew colder the mice grew sluggish and began to die by the thousands. Possibly in an effort to eat seaweed washing up on the shore, they made their way towards the coast: “and there died, forming a ridge like seaweed along the edge of the sea, and codfish were caught off the coast with carcasses in their maws.”
For more on The Year Of The Mice, and other forgotten stories from Atlantic Canada’s history, listen to the Backyard History Podcast, on
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5FFZ1eDHZPAFqwN4p0vraA
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/.../backyard-history/id1593957909
Or, if you don’t have podcasts, at https://backyardhistory.ca/podcast
Read the full article: https://backyardhistory.ca/articles/f/the-year-of-the-mice
Photo Information: Nova Scotia’s Year Of The Mice was a one off incident that happened before cameras. This photograph is from Australia, where rodent invasions are common. It was taken in Lescalles, Victoria by F. G. England in 1917.
Find more hidden stories that happened in our own backyards at www.backyardhistory.ca

Very interesting History

Thanks

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: Boco] #7800499
02/17/23 01:52 AM
02/17/23 01:52 AM
ohio
trapper
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by Boco

Keith

Free welfare.

I saw a grey squirrel migration turkey hunting in West Virginia spring of 1986 .
Have no idea as to why , just that they were everywhere , and moving fast.

Click on the links in the op and there's a picture of a pile of mice.

Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7800500
02/17/23 01:53 AM
02/17/23 01:53 AM
ohio
trapper
trapper

ohio

Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7800510
02/17/23 02:14 AM
02/17/23 02:14 AM
Minnesota
Woodsloafer72 Offline
trapper
Woodsloafer72  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
That's interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: KeithC] #7800599
02/17/23 08:49 AM
02/17/23 08:49 AM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba

Keith

I’d grab the guys & run for the hills if I was them…lol.
“That thing come round my place I kill it. Dang nature! You Scary!”

Last edited by Shakeyjake; 02/17/23 08:49 AM.
Re: Interesting Canadian history. [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7800658
02/17/23 10:19 AM
02/17/23 10:19 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
I saw an infestation of Army worms. They were crossing a back road. Around 50-60 foot wide column advancing wherever they wanted to go. Looked like the road, ditches, and fields were all alive and moving.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread