Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: warrior] #7812098
03/03/23 04:49 PM
03/03/23 04:49 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by warrior
While I have strong feelings on calling turkeys and not bushwhacking them I don't feel that way about trapping as long as it's within regulation.

The turkey bit is more because who who taught me and the gentleman's rules they held to as a way of protecting "their" birds. Kind of a self imposed limit.

But trapping I've always been a nuisance trapper from the time Dad set me to rat killing in the barn. The regs I guess are to stop folks, like Dad did me, from pouring gasoline down a rat hole. LOL.

I have "Roosted a Bird" the night before but that is just to find out the Vicinity they are in. Then I call them and if they are not Henned up the game is on. Later in the day the Hens go to nest and then I can have my crack at him. Now I had a neighbor that USED to be allowed to hunt my Farm until I caught him shooting the Gobbler off of the Roost. I knew he was calling it by the way it kept Gobbling and then Heard the Boom when it was still dark. THAT is Unsportsmanlike and ILLEGAL!! Half the fun is calling them in!!!

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: warrior] #7812101
03/03/23 04:54 PM
03/03/23 04:54 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
While I have strong feelings on calling turkeys and not bushwhacking them I don't feel that way about trapping as long as it's within regulation.

The turkey bit is more because who who taught me and the gentleman's rules they held to as a way of protecting "their" birds. Kind of a self imposed limit.

But trapping I've always been a nuisance trapper from the time Dad set me to rat killing in the barn. The regs I guess are to stop folks, like Dad did me, from pouring gasoline down a rat hole. LOL.

Pouring Gas down a Rat Hole!!!! I knew a kid Growing up in Northern Wisconsin whose Dad and He did that and burned the whole Garage down. Lucky it was not attached to the House!!! DUMB!!!

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: Wanna Be] #7812343
03/03/23 10:29 PM
03/03/23 10:29 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
To me running the turkeys down and shooting them is lots more fun than sitting on your butt and calling them to you. Only time I call is when I take a kid, or I called one in and shot it with a bow one time. Otherwise it is run and gun, maybe use a call just to get them to gobble once so I know where they are at.

Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: randall brannon] #7812398
03/03/23 11:43 PM
03/03/23 11:43 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by randall brannon

I have "Roosted a Bird" the night before but that is just to find out the Vicinity they are in. Then I call them and if they are not Henned up the game is on. Later in the day the Hens go to nest and then I can have my crack at him. Now I had a neighbor that USED to be allowed to hunt my Farm until I caught him shooting the Gobbler off of the Roost. I knew he was calling it by the way it kept Gobbling and then Heard the Boom when it was still dark. THAT is Unsportsmanlike and ILLEGAL!! Half the fun is calling them in!!!

Roosting one the night before and roost shooting are two different things.

I was taught to listen for one to fly up in the evening then slip in close the next morning and call him to you. The game was on only when his feet hit the ground.

[Linked Image]
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: randall brannon] #7812399
03/03/23 11:44 PM
03/03/23 11:44 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by randall brannon

Pouring Gas down a Rat Hole!!!! I knew a kid Growing up in Northern Wisconsin whose Dad and He did that and burned the whole Garage down. Lucky it was not attached to the House!!! DUMB!!!

Now I was smarter than that. The hole was out in the yard.

[Linked Image]
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: Wanna Be] #7813610
03/05/23 03:11 PM
03/05/23 03:11 PM
Missouri
K9Wolfer Offline
trapper
K9Wolfer  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Example ( not really cheating Reaping Or Fanning Wild Turkeys) It should be illegal for the danger factor alone!

BMI 2K9Wolfer

Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: K9Wolfer] #7813765
03/05/23 07:41 PM
03/05/23 07:41 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by K9Wolfer
Example ( not really cheating Reaping Or Fanning Wild Turkeys) It should be illegal for the danger factor alone!

Agreed, just as outlawing gasoline down a rathole is a safety thing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: Wanna Be] #7813830
03/05/23 09:02 PM
03/05/23 09:02 PM
Idaho / Virginia
Ryan Phoenix Offline
trapper
Ryan Phoenix  Offline
trapper

Idaho / Virginia
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet but I remember, years ago, when there was a lot of people acting like using DP Coon Traps was cheating. It was a thing for a little while. It's in the same vein as what ADC mentioned about hardcore coyote trappers sometimes acting like the use of snares are cheating. I think, prior to DP Coon Traps being more widely used, almost all coon traps were more work than just fire-and-forgetting a simple contraption like the DP trap and people who'd been trapping for decades without them saw them as being "too easy."

That being said, I think they're incredibly efficient and it's a wonderful design and I use lots of them. Doesn't take away from other types of foothold sets, or trail sets, because not all coons are going to commit to a DP so you have to experiment with other sets as well. But, it's worth mentioning because I remember when a lot people were talking about those in a negative light and now you don't really see that anymore.

Idaho Trappers Association
Intermountain Fur Harvesters
Montana Trappers Association
Alaska Trappers Association
Virginia Trappers Association
NTA
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: K9Wolfer] #7813895
03/05/23 10:17 PM
03/05/23 10:17 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho

What is that? The only fanning I am familiar with is with a single action revolver.

Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: bearcat2] #7813921
03/05/23 11:14 PM
03/05/23 11:14 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by bearcat2

What is that? The only fanning I am familiar with is with a single action revolver.

Based on an old injun trick.

Using a preserved or fake fan of turkey tail feathers to either belly crawl to or to lure one into range.

It should be obvious the danger of looking like a turkey when turkey hunting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: Wanna Be] #7814230
03/06/23 02:07 PM
03/06/23 02:07 PM
Missouri
K9Wolfer Offline
trapper
K9Wolfer  Offline
trapper

Missouri

BMI 2K9Wolfer

Re: Just a not being serious question [Re: Wanna Be] #7814300
03/06/23 04:05 PM
03/06/23 04:05 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they banned reaping and decoys on public and private.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91