No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: It's time again, Lovers & Haters [Re: Bob Jameson] #7807642
02/26/23 09:18 AM
02/26/23 09:18 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I thought you were an old outdoorsman Scott. I figured you would eat just about anything in front of you. smile You eat your first bite I think I could turn you around.

Re: It's time again, Lovers & Haters [Re: Bob Jameson] #7807655
02/26/23 09:34 AM
02/26/23 09:34 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson

After the pickling is complete it is rinsed with cold water and soaked in cold water and ice cubes to chill an hour or more. Once that is complete you transfer the rinsed and chilled fish into your final container(s). Most folks add onions or other vegetables for additional treats into the container. How many other goodies is determined as to what you like and want. Some add garlic, cinnamon sticks, and other spices to suit their taste.

I am going to add some two color (red, white Vidalia) onions, some vac sealed frozen garden green beans for something different this time around. Each vegetable tastes a little different. The fish pieces are interesting and have individual flavor due to the multi species of fish and shrimp. Wanted to try scallops this time but they were a little too much $$ for me.

Your final brine recipe is what determines your final flavor. I have worked with mine to suit what I like. It should soak with the fish and the other ingredients for a few days to get good absorption into everything. My batches get better flavor the longer it sits in the fridge in my experience.

Your fish look very interesting and so does your recipe. However, I am not seeing what kind of brine you are using in your final container along with the fish and onion/vegetables. Is this something you are willing to share? I get a lot of fish here and could use a change up recipe. Thanks for sharing this, Bob!

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: It's time again, Lovers & Haters [Re: Bob Jameson] #7807673
02/26/23 10:12 AM
02/26/23 10:12 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Pickling red salmon should be a crime. Pickling walleye, a misdemeanor at last. (I would like to sample all of that though)

Re: It's time again, Lovers & Haters [Re: Bob Jameson] #7807683
02/26/23 10:23 AM
02/26/23 10:23 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I will share my final bath solution when I get it out again. It isn't anything unusual, however I did modify it from past batch experiences. This will be my 3rd batch in as many years.

Vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, cinnamon sticks and some red raspberry vinegarette dressing oil gives it a nice flavor . I will add a little red wine to a batch, some add some MShine I hear. Final flavor can be very subtle or can be a stand out experience. I don't like a harsh vinegar flavor/taste as my first batch had.

More or less sugar will effectively calm the sharp vinegar flavor I have found if desired.

I make probably more then most but I really like the flavor and texture especially when you get it dialed in to your liking. I am use to making large batches of lure and bait so it isn't much different in pickling fish.

Once I have eaten my fill I am good for a while. I do share some with a few close friends so it doesn't last too long.

Bernie this fish is a delicasee for sure. If I could ship some I would, just not sure how it would hold up. If the temps stay cool it would be good. The vinegar acts as a prerservative along with the salt brine pickling process of the fish so it might travel well for a few days. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread