Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Switching it up on coyotes. #7801375
02/18/23 10:14 AM
02/18/23 10:14 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline OP
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline OP
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
I seem to have caught most of the coyotes that was in a pack running my farm, but now that there are a couple left, they seem to not want to work my sets anymore after they have seen others caught. What’s some things to try to catch the remainders. I’ve caught them in dirt holes, or a modified version there of.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801399
02/18/23 10:39 AM
02/18/23 10:39 AM
Central Texas
C
Centex Trapper Offline
trapper
Centex Trapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Coyote control separates the men from the boys in my opinion. Many of us in Texas only trap for control. The ranchers want every coyote gone. The last few get crazy and paranoid.

I’d go to flat sets with no bait, a different lure and scat from somewhere else. I use dog scat when I’m short on coyote scat. Tip - Visit the local gas station on the highway and pick up a little out-of-town scat. Or, Trade coyote scat with a trapper at least 30 miles away if you can.

My favorite flat set is a t-bone set down here in Texas. Use a pipe pounded flush with the ground if you can’t use a t-bone. Use a little lure (that you haven’t used before) down the pipe. Place scat to one side of the pipe about six inches and rehydrate it with creek water. The hope is that the coyote with have to shuffle his feet a little to smell the lure then the scat, increasing chance of a catch.

Mafia trail sets and trail snares work great if you can find a trail with tracks.

I don’t think a coyote will ever become untrappable. But you may have to back out for a few weeks. Then go back in with fresh, subtle sets.

Also realize that coyotes move… a lot more than some people think. It doesn’t take long for a coyote to run five miles. You can catch all your coyotes, but new ones will still move into your farm. Or simple run through your farm as they going somewhere.

Good luck. Welcome to control trapping.

Bridges Predator Control
Serving Central Texas
Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801403
02/18/23 10:42 AM
02/18/23 10:42 AM
texas
L
la4wd54 Offline
trapper
la4wd54  Offline
trapper
L

texas
^^^^ yeah what he said.

Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801410
02/18/23 10:47 AM
02/18/23 10:47 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline OP
trapper
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
That seems to be what I’m experiencing on there travel patterns. About every fourth day they run threw my place. Thanks for the tips.

— Thomas Paine
Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801483
02/18/23 12:08 PM
02/18/23 12:08 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
The trouble I believe I run up against on the tough ones is human scent. I trap a relative small area year after year, basically same properties all within 5 miles of the house. I run cameras in off season testing lures and can actually recognize a few of the problem coyotes because of physical things like one particular female has only one eye that showes up quite well on camera. I've tried different sets, different lures, you name it I've tried with the exception on really hitting it hard with snares. There's just some that won't work a set. We have a very high population and lots of food so I don't believe our coyotes have as big of range as some areas and therefore find our sets rather quickly if on good location. After watching coyotes on camera I believe they can probably smell human scent for at least 5 days after I've been there and probably a lot longer. Some say no big deal and coyotes smell human scent regularly and that is true but I do believe that getting down and making a set can be seen different from scent than someone walking across the field to a cautious coyote. I can say with confidence coyotes react differently to human scent in different scenarios. I believe my problem coyotes find my sets within a few days of me setting while the human scent is quite strong and will then see those sets as danger even after the scent has disappeared. I know some think because a lot of coyotes can be caught despite the presence of human scent that it doesn't bother any of them but from running lots of cameras and doing lots of testing that isn't what I've seen. I like the challenge of matching wits with coyotes and learning about there behavior as much as catching them especially when the money isn't there. I'm not giving up on the difficult ones. They are the ones that make us better trappers but if they die of old age or I plug them with a rifle I'm OK with them being gone too because they can be a bit frustrating. Lol
Just my 2 cents from my observations, take it how you like

Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801553
02/18/23 01:42 PM
02/18/23 01:42 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline OP
trapper
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
I’m open to all info. I never really trapped for them up until
This year. I’d catch the occasional one here and there, but that was when they was first showing up here. I really enjoy trying to outsmart them.

— Thomas Paine
Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801606
02/18/23 02:49 PM
02/18/23 02:49 PM
GA
C
canebrake Offline
trapper
canebrake  Offline
trapper
C

GA
Try a well blended blind trail set where they are traveling.

Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801686
02/18/23 04:41 PM
02/18/23 04:41 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Well blended sets like a walk thru, trail blind type sets and scent post type sets will all take most cautious coyotes later in the season. You must be "very subtle" in your odor offerings and learn to construct these sets very well and put them in an acceptable approach area.

Don't approach them daily for checks on foot. Do drive bys or check from a distance with binoculars or spotting scope which is best. Mount it on a stable object so you can see good detail as is reasonable of the set. A good marking type scent or strong urine and any other natural occuring food / bait odors will work well.

Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7801781
02/18/23 07:18 PM
02/18/23 07:18 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline OP
trapper
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Are you guys using coyote urine or fox urine. I haven’t tried coyote but have switched between red and gray fox urine.

— Thomas Paine
Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7802092
02/19/23 07:51 AM
02/19/23 07:51 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You can catch coyotes on all types of urine just due to their curious nature. However, a good coyote urine is hard to beat for coyotes in general.

Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7802165
02/19/23 09:51 AM
02/19/23 09:51 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Centex said it all, "crazy and paranoid". We have the luxury in farm country here to reduce/eliminate the Damage (ADC - Animal Damage CONTROL) by spooking the coyote enough that he leaves the immediate area and takes the Damage with him.. Catch/shoot his mate, kids, family, neighbors and he realizes this is not a safe address to keep his skin. Lots of human association/activity in our area seems to spook the REMAINING coyote(s) enough to cause some "Flight". Usually plenty of small mammals on other areas where he can "make a living". In another month different story as Ma will be lookin/picking a den site as she gets chubby and they have a down payment on their locale. If you are in Texas, trapping a ranch (lots bigger than our 50-100 cow farm/ranches) European Style (meaning eliminating everything that competes against what you want) then its a tougher row than a lot of places. Restricting your contact to the areas coyotes visit is probably the best advice I can muster. Every other day checks or close examination of sets are a No No, for me. You are not fur trapping. Boot leather over the best spots your previous catches were made to find some returning sign of the remaining ones (even a denning spot) is what I do, then leave for at least a week or 10 days, come back and re-check for activity and set traps/snares WITHOUT any lure or attractant. Come back in 1 week or so and add your attractant as if you were walking/driving through. No dirt hole for me. You can use a call if you know what/how to do that and the 5000.00 thermal scopes are quite an advantage now-a-days. That is roughly the way I have done the tough ones in here. Yes Sir mentioned scent association and I guess the way I use is similar to his experience. .......................the mike

Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7809775
02/28/23 10:31 PM
02/28/23 10:31 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline OP
trapper
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Would it be wise to set 2-3 sets in a small area. I pulled my traps going on two weeks this Sunday. I’m seeing a uptick in activity on the trail camera with the coyotes. Probably going to wait one more week and then go back in.

— Thomas Paine
Re: Switching it up on coyotes. [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7810334
03/01/23 03:33 PM
03/01/23 03:33 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Make your best well blended sets just like the guys are telling you above then stay way from them. If you have a camera that sends to your phone use it.

Follow tracks to where they go through or under or past something like a fence and make a trail set right in a track or two. Pay attention to every little detail and bed it perfectly. This set is for that specific coyote. If you can put a little lure just a foot up wind of the trap - talking just a match head sized piece - that works well or no lure at all. - just guides. Do not use any lures or smells that you had been using. Git in and get out.

Just passin through
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91