No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: Boone Liane] #7819588
03/13/23 08:39 AM
03/13/23 08:39 AM
WI
T-Rex Offline OP
trapper
T-Rex  Offline OP
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Boone Liane

If you reach for the little gun first, it’s not the back up.
Very true. But, for lack of a better term...

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7819602
03/13/23 09:21 AM
03/13/23 09:21 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by T-Rex
Originally Posted by Boone Liane

If you reach for the little gun first, it’s not the back up.
Very true. But, for lack of a better term...

perhaps deep concealment gun better fits the use

I understand what your saying , all the stuff you are carrying will end up on the ground unless that stuff was your kid or grand kid I would expect that.
that does take time.

draw from concealment on an IWB primary is generally like 1.5 - 2 seconds.

unless you get to start with your hand already on the gun then you can get sub second around 0.5 with some of that being reaction time.

some times you just have an ugly feeling and most of that time you can just adjust , take a different path , say something , keep quiet and leave , what ever fits the time and place. that is situational awareness and working your options.
one option when you have a deep concealment gun

a gun you can keep in a place where no one sees it but at the same time you can have a full grip on it while talking with some one and it looks totally natural.
for me that is a Ruger LC9 , because it was the best thing to fit that role in 2012 when I bought it. I trained with it and the partially cocked recessed hammer and when the the striker models came out they were an improvement but I had put the time in to the hammer trigger so I just bought a spare as it came cheap from co-workers upgrading.

your 380 fills the role of size , rounds and ease of carry well

if your going to upgrade a little more available ammo and a touch more power in a locked breach micro 9 would be the way to go the G43 , EC9 , P365 , hellcat and max 9 , your J-frame isn't bad either gives up a few rounds capacity but not bad

if you really want 45 then the S&W shield 45

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820112
03/13/23 10:49 PM
03/13/23 10:49 PM
WI
T-Rex Offline OP
trapper
T-Rex  Offline OP
trapper

WI
Stupid me!!!

The solution has been in my gun safe all along.

Springfield Armory .45 XD-S. I carried it as my primary for a short time, but didn't like it for a couple reasons, Mostly it was uncomfortable to shoot rounds that were powerfull enough to actually be effective IMO, and accuracy. But, to back up (accompany is a better term) my H & K USP in a jacket pocket, This thing is ideal.

Thank you GCP. If you hadn't mentioned the Shield I would have forgotten all about it. I also want to thank everyone else that offered suggestions. It's that brainstorming that i love to come to a final decision.

Now I am ready to "tweak" it a bit. I need to buy or make a holster that will keep it in position in my pocket. Nothing fancy (at first), but, something I can grab and shoot.

Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: MJM] #7820143
03/13/23 11:47 PM
03/13/23 11:47 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by MJM
rb seems to think a Browning 10ga is the way to go. If I lived some where I thought I needed a back to a gun, I would be moving. Why live in a place that you thing you need to carry two guns to do your job. Does your work allow you to carry? Do they give you firearms training. The entire thing sound nuts to me.

You can't move away from the nut jobs anymore , especially the Trump haters , they're every where .....good to see RB got a piece of one ..... grin

Report a post club - Non member

Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820153
03/14/23 12:58 AM
03/14/23 12:58 AM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
T-rex, You need to get tested for cognitive decline. Forgetting that you own a pistol like that is a serious sign.

What a sweet little pistol! I can't believe I don't own one.

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: Dragger] #7820273
03/14/23 09:17 AM
03/14/23 09:17 AM
WI
T-Rex Offline OP
trapper
T-Rex  Offline OP
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Dragger
T-rex, You need to get tested for cognitive decline. Forgetting that you own a pistol like that is a serious sign.
I have a good defense for that. I'll get back when I remember it.

Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820306
03/14/23 10:08 AM
03/14/23 10:08 AM
Southeast KY
K
K91773 Offline
trapper
K91773  Offline
trapper
K

Southeast KY
He may be like a buddy of mine, he owns so many he can't remember exactly what he has, literally hundreds of them though

Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820309
03/14/23 10:11 AM
03/14/23 10:11 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Mountain men, cavalry in the civil war, pirates, carried many guns at one time. IMO extra mags are lots easier. and cheaper

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820310
03/14/23 10:13 AM
03/14/23 10:13 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
In 1830 4-5 of these on your person made you formidable.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/pedersoli-45-cal-kentucky-flintlock-pistol

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820319
03/14/23 10:23 AM
03/14/23 10:23 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you ever worked in Kydex?

it isn't hard you need a way to heat it , a griddle from the good will will work , I use a convection oven from goodwill , and some clamps a bit of plywood to clamp down on your bench
just don't use whatever you use to heat it for food after , it becomes a tool heat source not a cooking heat source

the most specialized thing you need is some sturdy foam , a sleeping pad or go steal a yoga mat might work , but this is the thermal molding foam and it works and holds up a good while

https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/t...er-making-maxx-form-12x115x1-p-4291.html
(this site is good for holster making supplies) they also sell Kydex on amazon sometimes the shipping is less there
some rivets , a few hand tools mostly a coping saw , utility knife , drill and sand paper and you can make some nice holsters to do what you want.

.080 is good for OWB and IWB but too thick for pocket .060 is good for pocket type

so thermo molding kydex , here is the warning , on polymer guns make sure you have an empty mag in the gun , I didn't one time then my mag stopped dropping free the answer was wrap a mag in painters tape , so that it was a very tight fit , heat the grip slowly with the heat gun and jam the mag in and let it cool.

painters tape is your friend , I tape a pencil or dowel from the front sight to the notch of the rear sight this gives a channel for the front sight to ride in

card board and painters tape to put spacers where you need them I like a little flair at the opening of the holster it makes holstering easier

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: danny clifton] #7820355
03/14/23 11:17 AM
03/14/23 11:17 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Mountain men, cavalry in the civil war, pirates, carried many guns at one time. IMO extra mags are lots easier. and cheaper

they also didn't have magazines that could be inserted in the gun and ready to be back in action before the first one had bounced once on the ground.

reloading fast does take a second hand and easily accessible mags

you can get fairly fast with a Browning high power but it was a 13+1 gun until recently when 15 round mags became available

how many rounds you can get off and how fast keeps growing with magazine size when you have no reloads then how much you have to move or how accurate you have to be is the only thing holding you back.

here is two of the stages from the last match , no this is not me and yes the pants and socks are a little weird but it is the best video of this stage I could find.
I ran this in 15.4 seconds same target score as the video 13A 5c
this guy does it in 11.52 he is carry optics so 21 rounds in the mag slide mounted optic
I run a production gun in limited so iron sights I also was running a 21 round mag so no reload

18 rounds the last 3 targets you shoot have to be one handed.

the fastest guy at the match I was at beat this guys run in the video by 1.1 seconds , the movement is a big equalizer

this stage doesn't look like much but it forces off balance shooting after a run and how fast you can stop your movement, makes you change direction 3 times then puts you shooting one handed ideally while moving.

this would be an interesting stage shot with 3 revolvers , the rules of the game however limit you to one gun.
so it would have to be in practice with the setup and 2 dump boxes to catch your guns
it sure wouldn't leave you any extra rounds

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/14/23 11:19 AM.

Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820528
03/14/23 03:51 PM
03/14/23 03:51 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I just feel bad for you that you didn't get to buy a new gun.

Re: B.U.G. (back up gun) [Re: T-Rex] #7820774
03/14/23 10:16 PM
03/14/23 10:16 PM
WI
T-Rex Offline OP
trapper
T-Rex  Offline OP
trapper

WI
Nope, no new gun.

Still fun, though. I still need a new holster, and probably a MantisX to practice one hand and weak hand accuracy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread