No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7821919
03/16/23 01:15 PM
03/16/23 01:15 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
If you ever want to see jack rabbits just saddle a skittish colt and head out! Those rascals raising their big ears up suddenly and jumping is almost as good as a flank strap!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822103
03/16/23 05:15 PM
03/16/23 05:15 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I was living in S.E. Idaho the winter of 1981-82. Those Black Tailed Jacks were unbelievably thick. You could grab your .22 and head for the sage and see, literally, thousands in an afternoon. I had a ball hunting them that winter. We lived out on the west side of Rigby at the time all those "Bunny Bops" were held. It was a media circus that the AR folks wallowed in. They even got a court injunction to stop them, or at least to limit anyone under 16 (?) from being a part of them. Those hares would attack the hay stacks at night and destroy thousands of dollars worth of old fashioned bales. They'd eat the bottoms out and the stacks would fall over, crashing hares by the dozens. What wasn't eaten was peed on and was worthless as fodder. Some ranchers paid a bounty of 25 cents each. As for them being table fare......I stopped in to visit a local named Clyde Ormond, a prolific outdoor author back 50 years ago, and he said when he was a kid they ate so much jackrabbit that if a dog barked, they'd all go run under the porch. When I moved back east that spring, I brought 60 pounds of boned jackrabbit meat with me to make into sausage. Good stuff.

Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822118
03/16/23 05:26 PM
03/16/23 05:26 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
My Dad talked about rabbit clubbing here. Grandpa had a piece of ground that the RR cut through forming a long triangle that starts about 3/8 mile wide and runs into a very tight corner. That ground had woven sheep wire around it that the cottontails could not get through easily so folks from town would come down every few weeks and walk it from wide end to the narrow corner where they would club the rabbits. Dad said even though many rabbits would escape back past the walkers they would still club a huge pile of rabbits when all said and done. I can't imagine that many rabbits around, but I expect the people did a better job of keeping the predators in check back then. Now we have a hawk on every pole so the rabbits don't stand a chance of making a comeback to those kind of numbers.

Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822150
03/16/23 06:13 PM
03/16/23 06:13 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Oregon used to have a 5 cent bounty on a pair of jackrabbit ears during the depression. Wayne Negus in his book Wilderness Tales & trails talks of making up to $4.50 a day shooting rabbits and turning the ears in to the county clerk in Burns, Oregon. Good depression era pay.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822173
03/16/23 06:36 PM
03/16/23 06:36 PM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
My father and uncles still talk of rabbit hunts in the fifties and early sixties here in eastern SD. Was evidently a regular way to spend weekend nights driving around alfalfa fields in trucks and cars having a “good” time. Evidently they made enough money for gas, ammo, other liquid nourishments, and still put a little money in their pockets. Farmers would pay for them to set up around corn cribs and cull them. They spoke of many nights filling the trunks of cars and truck beds with jacks. They spoke of the fields lighting up with eyes when they turned into the approaches.I occasionally will have one in a snare, and see their tracks in certain areas I trap, but have probably only ever seen 40-50 live ones my whole life. They sure had a heckuva time doing it, many would complain today about the way it was done. But hanging out the back of a truck or car window having a ball with friends beats the heck out of the way many kids today choose to “have fun”. Sadly, another great memory that will probably never be lived out again. It must’ve been memorable for those that participated, you can still see the fire flicker in the eyes of my uncles and their friends whenever the stories are brought up. That, to me, is priceless…

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822226
03/16/23 07:50 PM
03/16/23 07:50 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Seen a lot of jacks and cotton tails when I was trapping down in AZ back in the late 70s. Amazing amount of wildlife out in the desert back then it surprised me the first time driving the roads down there.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822452
03/17/23 04:54 AM
03/17/23 04:54 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Use to be thousands now rare as hens teeth .Miss those days
Could get behind them in the car on the road and they would run a mile or more if you staed behind them around 35-40 mph.

Last edited by Snowpa; 03/17/23 04:57 AM.

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822537
03/17/23 07:35 AM
03/17/23 07:35 AM
new york
B
buster916 Offline
trapper
buster916  Offline
trapper
B

new york
very cool read

Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: Dillrod] #7822818
03/17/23 02:22 PM
03/17/23 02:22 PM
S/W Mich.
Dillrod Offline OP
trapper
Dillrod  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Mich.
I think the part that amazes me is the vast quantity of rabbits involved.
Must have been a sight to see.

"Some Domestication Required "

Re: Rabbit Roundups Depression Era ? [Re: TC1] #7822825
03/17/23 02:41 PM
03/17/23 02:41 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by TC1
My father and uncles still talk of rabbit hunts in the fifties and early sixties here in eastern SD. Was evidently a regular way to spend weekend nights driving around alfalfa fields in trucks and cars having a “good” time. Evidently they made enough money for gas, ammo, other liquid nourishments, and still put a little money in their pockets. Farmers would pay for them to set up around corn cribs and cull them. They spoke of many nights filling the trunks of cars and truck beds with jacks. They spoke of the fields lighting up with eyes when they turned into the approaches.I occasionally will have one in a snare, and see their tracks in certain areas I trap, but have probably only ever seen 40-50 live ones my whole life. They sure had a heckuva time doing it, many would complain today about the way it was done. But hanging out the back of a truck or car window having a ball with friends beats the heck out of the way many kids today choose to “have fun”. Sadly, another great memory that will probably never be lived out again. It must’ve been memorable for those that participated, you can still see the fire flicker in the eyes of my uncles and their friends whenever the stories are brought up. That, to me, is priceless…

back in the 50s my grandpa was doing simmiar but here is was to rid the county of fox.

great grandpa owned a chicken hatchery , everyone disliked fox I guess , so a guy by the last name of Fox ironically was a WWII pilot he had a small plane with a big surplus speaker on the wing , teams in cars would drive the frozen fields and he would call down where they were running out as he buzzed the woods , the cars would run and gun them when riding shotgun really was riding shotgun.

Friday nights it was feral cat control loosing car bought the beer and they all stood around their cars in the parking lot of the gas station drinking and shooting the breeze.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread