No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821780
03/16/23 09:55 AM
03/16/23 09:55 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Green County aviation fuel has a 5 year shelf life. It's what I run at 32 to1 mixed in all of my 2 cycle equipment. I never have gumed up carbs

We grow a large garden and can. We raise rabbits, chickens and dairy goats. We supply 7 famines a year with fresh products with weekend deliveries. I have traps, guns, ammo, tools and skills. But without power and water will still have a rough time if over a week.

I have been wanting one of the largest harvest right freeze dryers. Seal our produce and finished cooking, eggs, and milk, in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and inro food grade buckets and they will be 25 year shelf life and be lighter than caned goods to carry. It requires electricity but if I have a garden season or two I could get a lot of months of food preparation.

I have been looking at whole house generators thar run off lp. But thet 500 gal lp tank woul only last a week and half if full.

Transportation and communication will be important. Gas could get into short supply, rationed or unavailable. Roads Mya not be passable with down trees, washed out roads, or roads closed with abandoned vehicles. So may not be passable or even if they are they may not be safe for travel . People will be hungry scared and basically wild animals. So to get from point a to be staying off the roads may be the best choice. That most likely means on foot or if you are lucky horses. I'm moving towards getting a few horses currently.

Ham radio will be a good source of communication and if I ever return time with everything else I will look into and learn about that.

As stated it could be something as simple as a storm, earth quake, or rven a job loss. No matter how prepared you think you are will be things you over look or come up. But having a few basics covered is a good piece of mind and will help you if an emergency happens.
I know when I had a job loss 20 yeaes ago not having to buy food for several months eases some of the financial strain.

Also don't over looked medical. From first aid to having extra needed prescriptions on hand. That also includes female products for the ladeys in your family.
Start small and build tell you get to your personal comfort level. For some that will be a bunker with years of supplies for others it will be 3 days of food in the house.

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821783
03/16/23 10:05 AM
03/16/23 10:05 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

As long as there are people looking for food to eat, there will be food to eat.

-Goofy-
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7821785
03/16/23 10:08 AM
03/16/23 10:08 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

Is that light meat or dark meat?

I want to be sure I have enough marinara or alfredo sauce stocked away.

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: Leftlane] #7821788
03/16/23 10:11 AM
03/16/23 10:11 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Online content
trapper
upstateNY  Online Content
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Leftlane
If I can ride out the storm from home, I would last basically indefinitely. The pantry, root cellar, and freezer would keep a family fed for a year and the cattle reproduce faster than I could butcher but the loss of electricity over an extended period would create some not so fun times.

I have made it a point to have all kinds of old school tools, equipment, and skills but I have often thought of salvaging a walk in cooler or cooler and a freezer from a convenience store of grocery store fire when I work them. If you had a set up like that with either a roof top HVAC unit on propane or nat gas, plus a reefer on diesel for back up I would think you have a good chance of outlasting most.

If I had to abandon the homestead, it would be a lot more difficult, I think.

Oh, and LMBO at the girls who poke fun at anyone being prepared. I would say they are probably descendants of the folks that made fun of Noah building the Ark, but those folks don't have descendants.
whistle

Don't forget to put back a few jugs of your favorite "beverage" there Lefty.I always make sure I have a few jugs on "standby" laugh

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: k snow] #7821789
03/16/23 10:12 AM
03/16/23 10:12 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by k snow

Is that light meat or dark meat?

I want to be sure I have enough marinara or alfredo sauce stocked away.

Better stock both red and white.

-Goofy-
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: Providence Farm] #7821790
03/16/23 10:13 AM
03/16/23 10:13 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Green County aviation fuel has a 5 year shelf life. It's what I run at 32 to1 mixed in all of my 2 cycle equipment. I never have gumed up carbs

We grow a large garden and can. We raise rabbits, chickens and dairy goats. We supply 7 famines a year with fresh products with weekend deliveries. I have traps, guns, ammo, tools and skills. But without power and water will still have a rough time if over a week.

I have been wanting one of the largest harvest right freeze dryers. Seal our produce and finished cooking, eggs, and milk, in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and inro food grade buckets and they will be 25 year shelf life and be lighter than caned goods to carry. It requires electricity but if I have a garden season or two I could get a lot of months of food preparation.

I have been looking at whole house generators thar run off lp. But thet 500 gal lp tank woul only last a week and half if full.

Transportation and communication will be important. Gas could get into short supply, rationed or unavailable. Roads Mya not be passable with down trees, washed out roads, or roads closed with abandoned vehicles. So may not be passable or even if they are they may not be safe for travel . People will be hungry scared and basically wild animals. So to get from point a to be staying off the roads may be the best choice. That most likely means on foot or if you are lucky horses. I'm moving towards getting a few horses currently.

Ham radio will be a good source of communication and if I ever return time with everything else I will look into and learn about that.

As stated it could be something as simple as a storm, earth quake, or rven a job loss. No matter how prepared you think you are will be things you over look or come up. But having a few basics covered is a good piece of mind and will help you if an emergency happens.
I know when I had a job loss 20 yeaes ago not having to buy food for several months eases some of the financial strain.

Also don't over looked medical. From first aid to having extra needed prescriptions on hand. That also includes female products for the ladeys in your family.
Start small and build tell you get to your personal comfort level. For some that will be a bunker with years of supplies for others it will be 3 days of food in the house.

Av gas lasts a lot longer than 5 years. So does regular gas if its stored out of the sun. I've used regular gas with no issues that had been in a drum stored inside for 12 years. I store a lot of fuel for my lodge and trapline business. Its all stored in drums out of direct sunlight. AV gas will last a lot longer than reg fuel.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821793
03/16/23 10:16 AM
03/16/23 10:16 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I like to think I’m pretty well prepared. Hygiene, sanitation and prescriptions are very important and overlooked by most. Getting home is also overlooked. If something happens or you get stranded a get home bag is a life saver. I don’t go anywhere without one.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821804
03/16/23 10:34 AM
03/16/23 10:34 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
We're ready for whatever comes our way.

We will survive.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821808
03/16/23 10:44 AM
03/16/23 10:44 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
A good supply of corn cobs serves two purposes. Keeps good hygiene and when recycled they provide some BTU's in the wood stove. A case of wet wipes just for emergencies when you feel like you were in the saddle too long that day.

We are covered pretty well with pantry goods, dry beans, salted meat, lots of bobcat and beaver meat at the ready. Salt, Sugar and dried milk along with a good supply of bottled water. Buckwheat, Wheat Flour and yeast will keep a trapper going with fiber for quite a while.

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: Leftlane] #7821832
03/16/23 11:31 AM
03/16/23 11:31 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane
If I can ride out the storm from home, I would last basically indefinitely. The pantry, root cellar, and freezer would keep a family fed for a year and the cattle reproduce faster than I could butcher but the loss of electricity over an extended period would create some not so fun times.

I have made it a point to have all kinds of old school tools, equipment, and skills but I have often thought of salvaging a walk in cooler or cooler and a freezer from a convenience store of grocery store fire when I work them. If you had a set up like that with either a roof top HVAC unit on propane or nat gas, plus a reefer on diesel for back up I would think you have a good chance of outlasting most.

If I had to abandon the homestead, it would be a lot more difficult, I think.

Oh, and LMBO at the girls who poke fun at anyone being prepared. I would say they are probably descendants of the folks that made fun of Noah building the Ark, but those folks don't have descendants.
whistle

thinking about actual refrigeration needs
how much can you do with how little

if you can pick your time to butcher and wait for sub 40*f weather you need none , just a place in the shade to hang
when you can't pick your time to butcher because you have an injured animal , I found a 8 foot chest freezer works fairly well the last cow I had to put down had issue calving and the calf dead and still inside mostly the vet couldn't get it out for a reasonable sum of money and the butcher wouldn't take her in that state.
it was 90*f and right after a nasty thunderstorm had passed , it was hot and humid at least hot by WI standards.
guessing she was 12-1400# standing
got her in that freezer on a big sheet of plastic sheeting and she cooled fine
the ideal thing would be to have racks built so that you could lay each 1/4 not touching the next and wrap each 1/4 in a clean cotton sheet then lay it in and have a small fan to circulate air
as far as cost , availability and use all the time 8 foot chest freezers have a lot of uses

you really don't need to get freezing , just sub 40 , long enough to cool the meat through is all you need

I was recently reading about a dried meat that doesn't even require you get it chilled first
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong
start cutting right away and make strips they are rolled in the salt and spice then hung on something as simple as a fence wire to dry in the sun
it would definitely help to have a very dry climate like south Africa where this was a traditional method of drying meat.

once fully dry it really only needs to stay dry to keep a year

I have never tried Biltong but have done jerky and left a bag of it in the console of my van from one deer season to the next and it was perfectly fine even with staying in the hot van all summer once it is dry it only needs to stay dry

on a much more common north American meat preservation , my grandma and great aunt and great uncle who all grew up on an island in the great lakes there dad was a commercial fisherman so they ate a lot of chubs ,white fish and whitefish livers while they were catching they raised a few pigs and shot deer. yes spring deer also , they canned the meat as stews to keep lots of ready to eat meals , they talk about shelves on every wall of the cellar , the shelves no longer there the cellar is about 15x20 feet and was dug after the house had been built which makes for some interesting walls they dug inside the original foundation kept the house supported then put up new walls.

hundreds of jars is what they said

all hot water bath which I know is a no-no in modern canning , but the youngest one of them to die was 79 and he had cancer my grandma made 95 and my great aunt turns 90 this year so it must not have been too much of an issue.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821838
03/16/23 11:40 AM
03/16/23 11:40 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
You can pour a half can of sea-foam into a 5 gallon can of 91 octane gasoline and I'll bet it will be good in 10 years if left out of the heat and sun.

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7821839
03/16/23 11:44 AM
03/16/23 11:44 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida

4 sure...because they will take what the preppers have stored up.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821842
03/16/23 11:47 AM
03/16/23 11:47 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: Providence Farm] #7821871
03/16/23 12:12 PM
03/16/23 12:12 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Green County aviation fuel has a 5 year shelf life. It's what I run at 32 to1 mixed in all of my 2 cycle equipment. I never have gummed up carbs

good to know

I don't really have a good way to store longer than a few months and other things are going to run out at or before a few months.
there is a limit to the time money and effort one can afford to put into being ready.

I may look into AV gas we have a small grass strip air port near by that I think has fuel. but mostly I just buy 91 octane E-free at the pump and store it in poly cans with ez-pour hard caps or spouts

most of my stuff calls for a 50 to 1 so that is what I have been mixing

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821906
03/16/23 01:01 PM
03/16/23 01:01 PM
Galliano,Louisiana
BudGuidry Offline
trapper
BudGuidry  Offline
trapper

Galliano,Louisiana
Yep

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7821908
03/16/23 01:05 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

4 sure...because they will take what the preppers have stored up.

You’re gonna starve to death thinking like that.

-Goofy-
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821909
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

lol

-Goofy-
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821914
03/16/23 01:11 PM
03/16/23 01:11 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Pete- relying on cold weather this far south in Texas is the opposite of a plan, unfortunately. For drying or smoking meat, we might have a big advantage. This is an idea I need to play around with a gain some skillz.

If things got real bad, I would see myself as the cummunity butcher shop with several big butcher job and distributions a month. Maybe it would be like a weekly farmers market type meeting (bartered for other goods probably). That is when a big walk in off the grid would really shine.

Tony- there are a few things you'd want to stalk up on. Either that or learn to take your corn from a jar like they do on Rocky Top LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821933
03/16/23 01:42 PM
03/16/23 01:42 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
someone explain this prepping thing to me, please..

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Prepping. Would you be ready? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7821937
03/16/23 01:47 PM
03/16/23 01:47 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Marty what part of it do you want explained?

Everything the left touches it destroys
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread