Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
trap/skinning shed #7821613
03/16/23 12:12 AM
03/16/23 12:12 AM
NE
P
plainstrapping25 Offline OP
trapper
plainstrapping25  Offline OP
trapper
P

NE
Got a new shed for putting up fur. Was wondering how everyone else had there's set up. Do most also store there traps where they also store lure/bait? Also store there traps for off-season where they skin and scrap fur? Or is it better to have the traps stored away from lures and skinning and such?

Re: trap/skinning shed [Re: plainstrapping25] #7821631
03/16/23 12:52 AM
03/16/23 12:52 AM
South Dakota
T
TheYouthTrapper Offline
trapper
TheYouthTrapper  Offline
trapper
T

South Dakota
I have my predator traps in a small overhang outside my garage, I also have my weasel boxes, muskrat floats, and a live trap in it. I have a dedicated fur handling shed since it's too small to store everything. The rest of my traps are in the garage in totes right by the lure and baits. Having it all in one shed is fine, just make sure to keep as much gas and oil smells off them. As long as the traps aren't directly in contact with some type of food, they shouldn't take up any smell.

Re: trap/skinning shed [Re: plainstrapping25] #7821676
03/16/23 07:10 AM
03/16/23 07:10 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
[Linked Image]

I keep lures, baits and urine in plastic totes with lids. Same room.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/16/23 09:52 AM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: trap/skinning shed [Re: plainstrapping25] #7821714
03/16/23 08:11 AM
03/16/23 08:11 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
I keep lure/urine in fridge that's in my fur shed. I keep traps in totes opposite end of shed from work area. Some traps are stored in another outbuilding.

You don't need much space to skun, flesh & board.
Have table, workbench or shelf within reach of skun'n & flesh'n station to lay your knives & fur tools. Having tools within reach will save you steps equals less time in shed.
You will need more room to dry fur and store traps than a workplace, depending on how many traps you own and how much fur you process.

The inside walls at floor of most fur sheds tend to get cluttered as something gets stored there.
If you put electricity in shed, I suggest putting your electric outlets higher up on wall.

Re: trap/skinning shed [Re: plainstrapping25] #7822261
03/16/23 08:36 PM
03/16/23 08:36 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I keep and do everything in the same shed. Just keep things separate and somewhat tidy, no problems.

Re: trap/skinning shed [Re: plainstrapping25] #7822279
03/16/23 09:09 PM
03/16/23 09:09 PM
South Louisiana
T
Trappeur Gunny Offline
trapper
Trappeur Gunny  Offline
trapper
T

South Louisiana
Baits, lures, are stored in a fridge in my garage. I also have castor, oil sacks, and various glands vacuumed sealed and frozen in the same fridge. I do all my trap mods and repairs in the garage as that is where my work bench and tools are.

My fur shed is pretty big. I have shelves with my taps in totes. I have them separated by general use. Nutria traps in a couple of totes, coon and mink totes, bobcat in one, k9 in one, otters in one, beavers in one. The closer it gets to season I will make bunches for specific areas on the three lines I run. I like to keep my traps very organized as it helps with making sure I leave with what I need and saves a lot of time.

I have a overhang that runs the entire length of my shed. One part has a pully, wench, anchor, knife rack, sharpener, and everything else I need for skinning. The other half has my fleshing beams and gear. After I skin, I wash the hide, and have a place between the two areas to hang them to drip before I flesh them.

The big key is to keep it organized and not cluttered. You can get a lot accomplished when you don't have to step over gear and can find what you need. When you are finished for the day take the 10 minutes to straighten up as it pays off when you get in late and have 20 animals to skin, or have to make some mods on traps. Time is money.

Re: trap/skinning shed [Re: plainstrapping25] #7822991
03/17/23 08:14 PM
03/17/23 08:14 PM
Pennsylvania
K
Keystonekiller Offline
trapper
Keystonekiller  Offline
trapper
K

Pennsylvania
Going to be a all in one package here once I get my shop put together this summer big garage door so I can back the truck in load an unload just be easier to have everything I need right there

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91