No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832932
03/29/23 07:26 PM
03/29/23 07:26 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Why in the world would a teacher complain about bad parents when they vote for party that is .....anti traditional family , anti Christian , against self responsibility , and generally support anything that leads to the moral break down of society .

I realize there are some exceptions in some rural conservative areas , but most teachers vote with their beloved unions ...... Democrat

Democrats own the two best brainwashing machines .... The education system and the Media

I know of some conservative teachers who refused to do the dirty work for the Democrats and moved on to other carreers

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832961
03/29/23 07:56 PM
03/29/23 07:56 PM
PA
C
cmj Offline
trapper
cmj  Offline
trapper
C

PA
Home school is very different now compared to 20 or 30 years ago. My son does cyber school. Doesnt work for every kid. There are alot of group activities and field trips he can go to. He isnt locked in his room hiding from people. Still has teachers and has to answer questions with the camera on and a bunch of other kids watching. Seems to be learning alot and very advanced compared to what I was taught in public school. But I still teach him in my own ways after his school is over, just like every parent should. Plus he can get all of his work done early and go hunting, fishing or trapping.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832977
03/29/23 08:07 PM
03/29/23 08:07 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Most of the home schooles kids I met are either very well..... Indoctrinated is the best way I can describe it, or will irritate the dog crap out of most "normal people"

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832982
03/29/23 08:11 PM
03/29/23 08:11 PM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Some do, some don’t, depends on many, many factors.

While there are some just “bashing “ posts, there are many well thought out responses.

This I know, my own kids are learning or learned far more than I ever did in school. After many years of reflection, that’s not on the school system of the time, it’s on me. However, there are opportunities my kids have in school that didn’t exist for myself. It’s so evident in threads as this, which people actually know very little of the system or how it works.

Last edited by rvsask; 03/29/23 08:30 PM.
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833010
03/29/23 08:35 PM
03/29/23 08:35 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I bought a book thirty-five years ago titled "What are they teaching our children?" You think this leftist takeover of public education is new? Some of you folk are ostriches.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: yotetrapper30] #7833021
03/29/23 08:40 PM
03/29/23 08:40 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I don't know why this is such a debate. If you want to send your kids to public school, do so. If you want to send your kids to private school, do so. If you want to homeschool, do so. This is America and thankfully we have the options and rights to do any of the three.

I sent my kids to private school. Paid twice. Once in taxes and again for their tuition. Leftists have fought every step of the way to rob parents of school choice.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833214
03/30/23 02:30 AM
03/30/23 02:30 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Seems like a big difference between big city schools and small rural schools as to what they are taught

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: jalstat] #7833217
03/30/23 03:00 AM
03/30/23 03:00 AM
Alaska
M
milkcrate Offline
trapper
milkcrate  Offline
trapper
M

Alaska
https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/news/kchs-students-get-rare-opportunity-to-dissect-lynx-in-class/

Some of you may find this article interesting as it relates to a this topic.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833266
03/30/23 06:50 AM
03/30/23 06:50 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As stated by many. Kids need to be taught at home too. Kids need disciplined at home and also given time and taught. My son test out in the top kids in the nation every yr.......it starts at home. Honestly schools in my area are sorely lacking. They gear low for the slowest kids not high for those who can eat up the info and it affects all the top learners if we dont suppliment. 60 yrs ago usa had top schools,now we are down on the list a bunch. My son could have had a better smarter dad like marchewka but all he got was me.
I grew up in a home where the parents didnt teach me anything. They were busy making their millions and partying. Stepmom was a morphine addict all my life and both were extremely abusive. My grandpa was chief of police who raised an ahole of a kid(my stepdad)Left me sit in front of television so after grandparents died i was on the streets. My kid gets better!
Weekends are spent on educating him and gearing my time to his. Church always!!! Museums,center of science and industry etc. We have a rule in my house:if u are a problem at school you will have a bigger one at home!!!

Last edited by west river rogue; 03/30/23 07:45 AM.
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833274
03/30/23 07:12 AM
03/30/23 07:12 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
The real problem is when the learning stops.

-Goofy-
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7833277
03/30/23 07:17 AM
03/30/23 07:17 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
The real problem is when the learning stops.
AGREED!
Thats why parents need to be there.....smart kids get bored in most schools because there are few challenges. Nobody knows their kids better than parents so its up to the parents to always be there and intercede and suppliment if need be.

Last edited by west river rogue; 03/30/23 07:19 AM.
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833307
03/30/23 07:48 AM
03/30/23 07:48 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Look at successful people,Our own Big Mike Marchewka is a prime example....personality,Brains,humble ,and more. I guarantee it wasnt all natural. I guarantee he had some great influences in his Life!!!! Kudos Mike!
I try to expose my son to successful people with personality I"d like him to have. Paul(Boss)babysat sal at NTA in lima so I could go buy some things. They discussed smelly skunks and engineering i believe.Mark and Donna June....positive influences....I said Sal this is pastor Mark. They shook hands and Mark said"hi Sal im Mark!" Donna asked him a question to stimulate thought. These things count!! The kids cave and I"ll say it again,was Awesome at nta and all those folks were TOP NOTCH....KUDOS!!![Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by west river rogue; 03/30/23 08:02 AM.
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: Anglinscreek] #7833324
03/30/23 08:11 AM
03/30/23 08:11 AM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by Anglinscreek
Here's an idea if you want to know what happens in the classroom, volunteer at a school.

My wife retired from an inner city Public School. Milwaukee Wisconsin. The reason she retired was that PARENTS would demand that their beloved childs grade be changed to Passing and would scream Racism to get their way. Kids that only showed up 4 days a Semester passed. These same kids could not read nor write. The Teachers failed them and the Administrators passed them because the more that passed the more funding they get. It is all about the Money!!! She got so mad one day she walked the Grade Books into the Superintendents Office and gave them to him to change and then her Office and filled out her Retirement Papers. THAT is the reason our kids and now Grandkids go to a PRIVATE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL!!! My wife and I gladly help pay for it after the state pays theirs.

Last edited by randall brannon; 03/30/23 08:15 AM. Reason: forgot something

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833330
03/30/23 08:24 AM
03/30/23 08:24 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
That is the State of Milwaukee, separate entity from the State of WI, LOL

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: BernieB.] #7833339
03/30/23 08:37 AM
03/30/23 08:37 AM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Here's my take as someone who has been in public school within the last 10 years.

Sheltering your kids with home schooling and private schooling does not protect them from their own decisions or the world. It just prolongs it and leaves them more unprepared for when the time comes

Your kids have to make their own way in this world. Make their own decisions

Just because you send them to private school, or even a faith based school, does not mean they will turn out like you planned

It is up to YOU to instill the correct values in your child, or someone else will

Your kid is going to get out of school at some point. If they continue on to college you can best bet their beliefs will be challenged. If they continue on to work their beliefs will be challenged.

You cannot protect them from flaming liberals and people with an agenda their whole life. By pulling them away from these things you are asking for trouble down the road

Send your kids to public school and teach them values and morals at home. They will carry that with them the rest of their life. School is a small portion of their overall life. Don't hide them from the world and toss them out at 18 expecting them to be A okay

Everything you said is based on flawed reasoning. Everything. Really, does anyone think you can "Shelter or protect" your kids in this day and age? Nonsense. Come on man.

If you want a quality education, much better than you can get in any public school, private schooling is better with very few exceptions. You definitely get what you pay for. Plus if you send them to a christian school, your beliefs are not challenged every day, they are supported. When they go out on their own, they have a much better foundation to fight the onslaught that the world will throw at them, both when they are in school and once they are out.

I can't say enough good about homeschooling. Teach them the important things, teach them as they show you what they want to learn, and watch them thrive much better than they can in an environment where they are chained to a desk and treated like a herd of cattle as everyone is taught the same way despite the fact that everyone learns differently. The smaller class sizes and individual attention a child gets in a private school can make a gigantic difference in how well they thrive in education.

The only ones who really think public schools are better are the ones like you who have no experience with the alternatives. I don't have the time to debunk all your assertions one by one, but they are ALL based on flawed reasoning.

Bernie, EXACTLY RIGHT!!! My wife retired from MPS (Milwaukee Public Schools). She is a retired High School English Teacher/ Principal. Public schools and their GRADES are what figures out the FUNDING they get. She retired when she could instead of staying another 5 years because the Administrators would change Grades to get the number of passing students they needed for Funding. Sheltering your kids in Private schools is HOGWASH!!! We kept our kids in Private Christian school and now our Grandkids go to that same school. My wife and I BOTH graduated from a Private College. Two of our children are still in that College working on their Masters. The others already are out and working on their Careers. Our Son is an Engineer at Harley Davidson. A daughter is an anesthesiologist at a Hospital in Milwaukee South side. Our kids were all Private schooled because my wife would not allow them to be a part of a Flawed process. If you are sheltering your kids then you must be denying them the internet and TV as well as Newspapers. The only thing we sheltered them from were Gang Bangers and Drugs!!! I am PROUD of what they have and ARE accomplishing!!!!!!

Last edited by randall brannon; 03/30/23 08:38 AM. Reason: Mispelled word

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: AntiGov] #7833350
03/30/23 08:52 AM
03/30/23 08:52 AM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by AntiGov
The discussion on public schools could go on for ever

I'd like someone to prove where they have improved over the years to the benefit of the students .

It's aslo definitely a prime vechile for leftist brainwashing and if you don't believe it's being used heavily to recruit troops for the libtard army , you've got your head in the sand

PERFECT EXAMPLE!!! At MPS (Milwaukee Public Schools) a punk raped a young girl and beat her up at school. He was arrested and the School Board expelled him. Then the LIBTURDS SUED the School Board DEMANDING He be allowed back in school claiming he had the right to an education. They wanted this PUNK right back into the same Classes with the girl he had abused. THAT is what leftist Libturds call improvement.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: Posco] #7833353
03/30/23 08:58 AM
03/30/23 08:58 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I don't know why this is such a debate. If you want to send your kids to public school, do so. If you want to send your kids to private school, do so. If you want to homeschool, do so. This is America and thankfully we have the options and rights to do any of the three.

I sent my kids to private school. Paid twice. Once in taxes and again for their tuition. Leftists have fought every step of the way to rob parents of school choice.

Public school funding is a whole different can worms. I never see a way it's going to be fair for everyone. People who own property never have kids pay their whole life for their 12 years of school. Then they pay again for a tec college or college they never attended.
So people complaing about cost of sending kids to private school paying twice. Don't sit well with me. Then I seen people laugh about getting a bunch of deductions on their income tax for their little idiots. While people with no children pay more.
All that's has nothing to do with what any kids learns in class room or who schools them.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833354
03/30/23 09:00 AM
03/30/23 09:00 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
My own kids are homeschooled, so I'll throw in my opinion. Some homeschooled kids are weird....it's true. Most aren't. Anecdotes aren't data, though. Your own personal experiences with homeschoolers are basically meaningless when it comes to understanding the real nature of homeschooled kids. Your own personal experiences only tell you about your own personal experiences with homeschoolers.

My own kids have tons of public schooled friends, and hardly any homeschooled friends. They live at the rolla rena on the weekends in winter, and at the pool all day in summer, and there's just not a lot of homeschooled kids there, so that's just not the crowd they're in. On top of that, we have anywhere from 3-7 extra public schooled kids (on top of my own five) that are over every single day, for a large portion of the day, that are free ends of my kids and come from rough backgrounds. Some became friends with my kids because they first tried to beat up my kids and steal their bike. We had three over last night that tried to steal a bike, called my younger boy the N word (even though he's white), and called my wife an MFer. All these kids come from really rough homes, but, it turns out that when they spend some time in a stable home, eat some good real food, receive a tiny amount of proper discipline for poor behavior, and generally have some good influences in their life, they turn out to be pretty good kids.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: Blaine County] #7833400
03/30/23 10:09 AM
03/30/23 10:09 AM
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

PA
Originally Posted by Blaine County
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Here's my take as someone who has been in public school within the last 10 years.

Sheltering your kids with home schooling and private schooling does not protect them from their own decisions or the world. It just prolongs it and leaves them more unprepared for when the time comes

Your kids have to make their own way in this world. Make their own decisions

Just because you send them to private school, or even a faith based school, does not mean they will turn out like you planned

It is up to YOU to instill the correct values in your child, or someone else will

Your kid is going to get out of school at some point. If they continue on to college you can best bet their beliefs will be challenged. If they continue on to work their beliefs will be challenged.

You cannot protect them from flaming liberals and people with an agenda their whole life. By pulling them away from these things you are asking for trouble down the road

Send your kids to public school and teach them values and morals at home. They will carry that with them the rest of their life. School is a small portion of their overall life. Don't hide them from the world and toss them out at 18 expecting them to be A okay

Excellent post.

Plus, every home schooled person I have ever met is weird. There is a spectrum of weirdness, but all of them have been on it. Some are flat out WEIRD.

I'm good with my kids being considered weird by today's standards

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7833417
03/30/23 10:51 AM
03/30/23 10:51 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
hickory ridge, I guess there are people on here that don't consider it weird when grade school kids are taught how to put a condom on a banana, that men can have babies, that it's OK for children to have a sex change surgically if they think they are the opposite gender, that men who think they are a woman should compete in woman's sports. They are just as sick as the ones who teach it. A real lack of morals and common sense.

A deranged student with a rifle had no problem getting into a school. A student with a bible would have been stopped immediately.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread