Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Porcupine [Re: Pete in Frbks] #7836438
04/02/23 02:12 PM
04/02/23 02:12 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
This thread turned into "true confessions" in an awful hurry!

Pete

Many years ago a friend and I had set up a camp that we trapped out of for most of the winter. We had killed a couple caribou and stashed the guts in tight little copses of black spruce........perfect for snares once season opened. There were a lot of grizzlies in the area.

One day while approaching one of the gut piles to see if there was any marten/fox/gulo sign There was a horrific growl. I instantly chambered a round in my rifle and had it to my shoulder......ready for close quarters combat.

Meanwhile my buddy is laughing like crazy behind me. It was his stomach that had growled !

Almost had to go back to the tent for a change of clothes.

Mean As Nails
Re: Porcupine [Re: muskrat411] #7836918
04/03/23 12:43 AM
04/03/23 12:43 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
I get a migration of porcupines walking through the yard every summer. I used to eat them. Not bad taste like beaver, if they are not eating spruce.

[Linked Image]

Re: Porcupine [Re: white17] #7837130
04/03/23 10:39 AM
04/03/23 10:39 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
This thread turned into "true confessions" in an awful hurry!

Pete

Many years ago a friend and I had set up a camp that we trapped out of for most of the winter. We had killed a couple caribou and stashed the guts in tight little copses of black spruce........perfect for snares once season opened. There were a lot of grizzlies in the area.

One day while approaching one of the gut piles to see if there was any marten/fox/gulo sign There was a horrific growl. I instantly chambered a round in my rifle and had it to my shoulder......ready for close quarters combat.

Meanwhile my buddy is laughing like crazy behind me. It was his stomach that had growled !

Almost had to go back to the tent for a change of clothes.

Probably how some accidental "gut shots" happen....! pb

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman