No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: BernieB.] #7843984
04/12/23 07:48 AM
04/12/23 07:48 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
My guess is that her Dad is extremely proud of her- I hope she does great things for Minnesota.

Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: BernieB.] #7844027
04/12/23 08:55 AM
04/12/23 08:55 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Some years ago they where studying the bear and it's ability to den up for a long period of time and not eat Also their cubs are born during the hibernation period The goal was to understand how the bear are able to be dormant for several months and become active as spring arrives Their hope was to find out if that ability could be used in of certain types of treatment for humans that have aggressive diseases The concept was the chemical the enabled the bear to hibernate could be used to cause certain types of diseases to either go into remission or at least be slower to create untreatable conditions .I have not head of any results about this. Scientific study rarely leads on a straight line to any answer But finding answers and acquiring knowledge could lead to a lifesaving break through I am thankful that there are people devoting their effort . As 3togo said above "Without the information gained from doing the research the states have zero legs to stand on in court . "

Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: Osky] #7844043
04/12/23 09:24 AM
04/12/23 09:24 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Osky
Well I’m not all that worked up against putting collars on bears.
I’m sure each department if that’s what they call them, is allocated x amounts of money. What else would the bear group spend it on?

Osky

I sure as H hope there is a well defined objective for this research project, and not just a need to spend allocated money.

Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: Steven 49er] #7844045
04/12/23 09:32 AM
04/12/23 09:32 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Anyhow they should study bear hunters, they set laws to appease hunter sentiment more than biology

Don't give them any more ideas. Before long you will want a bear behind every tree like your neighbors across the river tried doing.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: BernieB.] #7844053
04/12/23 09:58 AM
04/12/23 09:58 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
I don't know much about bear collaring, but here is my tentative plan:

The next time one show up at my qual hutches, chicken coops, beehives, I would
  • shoot it in the head
  • place a collar on it
  • observe its behavior

But, seriously, see my post regarding Byrna®12 gauge less than lethal ammo.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: BernieB.] #7844096
04/12/23 11:17 AM
04/12/23 11:17 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Hope they don't collar a female who raises her cubs at a human provided feeding station then goes and raids cabins. That could be bad. frown

Last edited by Dirt; 04/12/23 11:19 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: Osky] #7844160
04/12/23 12:40 PM
04/12/23 12:40 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
As long as Dave G is gone it’s a good thing. If he is still involved it will be the same crap show. The straight shooter and best advocate was Karen Noyce, when she was forced out it was a bad day for Minnesotas bear management program.

Osky

Dont know anything about Karen but Dave G retiring is definitely a good thing in my book. I dont think he had a handle at all on true bear population numbers. If he did, then he certainly didnt do bear hunters any favors. I hope somebody can get a handle on the bear tooth samples. Theres no way yearling bears weigh 200 pounds, seems to be fairly common on reports back to successful hunters.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Minnesota's new bear biologist [Re: walleye101] #7844163
04/12/23 12:42 PM
04/12/23 12:42 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by walleye101
Well I’m not all that worked up against putting collars on bears.
I’m sure each department if that’s what they call them, is allocated x amounts of money. What else would the bear group spend it on?

Osky

I sure as H hope there is a well defined objective for this research project, and not just a need to spend allocated money.

They will do the defining around here don’t you worry.
Last I spoke with someone there about the objectives topic I was told muchof what they were doing was to figure out how bears physically have adapted to retain body waste, particularly being they are not 100% hardcore hibernators.
Medical implications for this with diabetes, liver, colon, bladder and many other issues. Long term coma patients etc

This is what I was told, take it for what it’s worth, again I’m not advocating, just relaying.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread