No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7862549
05/09/23 08:47 PM
05/09/23 08:47 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
More on Kay Bachman from a beaver skinning DVD she had out years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7862556
05/09/23 08:56 PM
05/09/23 08:56 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Nice article women like that are few and far between. I’ll admit I got lucky.

Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: Boco] #7862577
05/09/23 09:16 PM
05/09/23 09:16 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Originally Posted by Boco
Kay Bachman used to put up everyones beaver there.

Yep lived right next to them. I used bring my carcasses to them for their fox farm, years ago.

Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7862604
05/09/23 09:49 PM
05/09/23 09:49 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
I remember her demos. She was a heck of a lady and a far better skinner than I will ever be. I think Wheelers was a little sweet on her at one time too.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: 160user] #7862608
05/09/23 09:56 PM
05/09/23 09:56 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Boco
They must be higher than finished skins only because they are buying the skins the castors and the meat.
So a skin alone not put up worth $30 would need to add $6 or so avg for the castor and $10 for the meat.That would put a carcass beaver value avg at $45.

Minus the cost of skinning and fleshing unless you work for free.

Thats why I said 30 avg.Took it into account.

Last time I talked with Kay was at a convention in Thunder bay,quite a while ago.maybe mid,or late 00.

Last edited by Boco; 05/09/23 10:05 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7862686
05/10/23 12:02 AM
05/10/23 12:02 AM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Carcass market here is running in the 22 to 26 dollar range, we don't use that funny money with the queen on the front.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7862688
05/10/23 12:05 AM
05/10/23 12:05 AM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
More about Mrs. Bachman from MPR radio.https://www.mprnews.org/story/2007/12/17/championskinner
It's well worth opening up the link and listening to the interview.

If anyone has that DVD and would sell it, I'm more than interested.

A visit to Kay Bachman is a little like going to grandma's house. She greets you with a big smile, there's fresh cookies and coffee on the counter in her neat as a pin kitchen.

Oh, and there's a dead beaver lying on a small table in the dining room.

"I got a little guy because I figured they're faster to do than a big guy," says Bachman.

Speed is of the essence if she wants to retain her title as North America's fastest woman beaver skinner.

Grow the Future of Public Media
MPR News is Member supported public media. Show your support during the Spring Member Drive, donate, and ensure access to local news and in-depth conversations for everyone.

Donate Today
Skinning
Using a well worn, rounded knife that looks something like a big thumb, Kay Bachman deftly starts slicing away the beaver hide. She pulls the skin with one hand and cuts it loose from the body with quick, short strokes of her knife.MPR Photo/Dan Gunderson
Using a well worn, rounded knife that looks something like a big thumb, Bachman deftly starts slicing away the beaver hide. She pulls the skin with one hand and cuts it loose from the body with quick, short strokes of her knife.

It's something she's done thousands of times.

"You take 35 years times about three months and I could do 50 a day for three months, seven days a week. So if somebody wants to get ambitious and do the math," says Bachman with a chuckle.

Add it all up and Kay Bachman has skinned more than 150,000 beavers.

It's a disappearing skill that was once in high demand in Minnesota where the beaver helped build more than one family fortune.

Kay Bachman's skinning career started more than 50 years ago when she married a trapper. He ran the trap line, she did the skinning. Then a local fur buyer asked if she'd skin beaver for $1.50 a hide.

"I thought, 'I can stay home make some money and do this.' I had four young ones at home, so I just started skinning at home and it just developed into one thing after another. It was a normal part of making a nickel at home and not having to hire a baby sitter and go out," Bachman explains.

"So I'd usually get up about 7:00 am and get the kids off to school, sit down and start skinning. It was nice because we had linoleum on our floors and I could bring in 50 beaver and do them right in the living room and still take care of my other jobs in the house. Of course I didn't have a lot of friends over. The women just did not want to come and have tea with me," says Bachman with a hearty laugh.

Kay Bachman hasn't done much skinning since her husband died six years ago. But she says she was raised to be self sufficient, and wielding a knife was an essential skill.

"It's something I've done all my life. I'd go out and shoot my own cow in the pasture, skin her out and bring her home and cut her up and put her in the freezer," says Bachman matter of factly. "It was a normal way of life for me."

Award display
Kay Bachman has won the title as national champion beaver skinner four times in a row.MPR Photo/Dan Gunderson
There's a rhythm to the skinning as Bachman methodically removes the beaver skin.

"This is so relaxing. To me it's therapy. I can just sit and forget the world exists and skin and skin all day," says Bachman. "Some women sit and knit and crochet and I skin beaver."

It takes 15 minutes from start to finish. That's a bit slower than her competition times, but she says it's a good warmup. Her winning time in competition is about 30 minutes, and that includes mounting the pelt on a board after the skinning is completed.

Kay Bachman spends her retirement traveling to trapping conventions and gun shows where she sells handmade fur hats. She occasionally visits classrooms to talk about the role of beaver trapping in Minnesota's history.

Kay Bachman will travel to East Bay Ontario later this winter to defend her beaver skinning title.

Gallery

1 of 1
Kay Bachman, beaver lady
Kay Bachman, from Detroit Lakes, is preparing to defend her title as North America's champion beaver skinner.MPR Photo/Dan Gunderson

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7862833
05/10/23 08:09 AM
05/10/23 08:09 AM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
We don’t have a market like that here. I used to buy carcasses off an old trapper for “5 of her majesty’s notes” a piece when I was younger for bear hunting. I read in our Wildlife Act recently that we can’t do that, but we can “give” them away.
Strange, how one can drive 1 hour south and the market completely changes….lol

Re: How many Minnesotans put up beaver? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7862881
05/10/23 09:17 AM
05/10/23 09:17 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
I do, but almost gave in to the carcass market this spring. About the time I was ready to give in the carcass market took a dive, as the main local buyer was swamped.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread