No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Some will be frozen [Re: danny clifton] #7901999
07/08/23 10:41 PM
07/08/23 10:41 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Its a bit dry unlike tuna. Add some olive oil or mayonnaise would work but I never tried it. Since its home canned I am a bit nervous to eat it without some cooking first due to botulism.

Assuming it's pressure canned at the right time and pressure, it's safe to eat from the can. The old warnings about boiling it first was from a time when people were still regularly water bathing things like meats and veggies.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Some will be frozen [Re: yotetrapper30] #7902085
07/09/23 06:58 AM
07/09/23 06:58 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline OP
trapper
cotton  Offline OP
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Its a bit dry unlike tuna. Add some olive oil or mayonnaise would work but I never tried it. Since its home canned I am a bit nervous to eat it without some cooking first due to botulism.

Assuming it's pressure canned at the right time and pressure, it's safe to eat from the can. The old warnings about boiling it first was from a time when people were still regularly water bathing things like meats and veggies.

yotie is right danny

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Some will be frozen [Re: Jtrapper] #7902089
07/09/23 07:03 AM
07/09/23 07:03 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Cooter you never can sucker's up that way? Old moonshiner i use to run around with would wade creeks every spring with a single shot .22 rifle and flash light, lol. He shot sucker's when they were spawning and canned them in mason jars. Made patty's out of them and fried in skillet, was pretty good eating.

Canning suckers is very common here in Northern Michigan in early spring. They run up the rivers from the great lakes. Spears, hook and line and big 10 by 10 dip nets are used, mounted on gin poles and lowered into deep holes. Most all my trapping bait is from frozen suckers in the spring.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread