No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wanna Be] #7961130
09/29/23 11:01 PM
09/29/23 11:01 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
All in geography I guess, we didn’t have a gun culture. Everyone you knew had guns and lots of them. They were used for hunting though. On days we were getting out of school early we would take our guns/bows and check them in at the principal’s office if we didn’t want to leave them in the trucks. Of course ammo was left in the truck along with arrows.
I guess if you call it a “culture” it would be that they were tools and nothing more. My best friends dad had a gun if every caliber at that time. I’ve shot deer with everything from a .22Hornet to a 300RUM. I don’t remember anything with a composite stock either. I shot dove and ducks with everything from a .410 to a 10ga. Everyone owned guns and used them for their intended purpose…putting food on the table and enjoying their time doing it.

This is how it was in the 80s and 90s where I lived. But we were poor folk and surely didn't know anyone with a gun of every caliber, and usually not more than 2 centerfire calibers. But you also couldn't shoot deer with rifles in my area then either... just shotguns. Most people had 4-6 guns (unless they were young, and then less), usually one or 2 .22s, 1-3 shotguns, and sometimes a pistol or a centerfire rifle.

As far as aesthetics go, if you're talking about the sexiness of a walnut stocked, blued gun hangin in a back window gun rack of a beat up truck, I'm with ya cos there's nothing much sexier than that, but if you're talking about whatever is in that picture, well, "They ain't from 'round here" and likely wouldn't have been welcomed if they showed up, lol.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 09/29/23 11:03 PM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wanna Be] #7961135
09/29/23 11:10 PM
09/29/23 11:10 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
All in geography I guess, we didn’t have a gun culture. Everyone you knew had guns and lots of them. They were used for hunting though. On days we were getting out of school early we would take our guns/bows and check them in at the principal’s office if we didn’t want to leave them in the trucks. Of course ammo was left in the truck along with arrows.
I guess if you call it a “culture” it would be that they were tools and nothing more. My best friends dad had a gun if every caliber at that time. I’ve shot deer with everything from a .22Hornet to a 300RUM. I don’t remember anything with a composite stock either. I shot dove and ducks with everything from a .410 to a 10ga. Everyone owned guns and used them for their intended purpose…putting food on the table and enjoying their time doing it.

Yes that is a culture. For most of y'all growing up, a gun was just a tool. That being said y'all did general seem to favor certain stuff. Wood stocks , dependable , , stuff that worked. And as you said eveyone just had a gun wasn't anything special. That in it's self is a culture.

Ok so put it to you like this. You know how as trappers as a whole we have our own culture right. It's fairly different from other outdoors folk. It's not really a good or bad thing just we are kinda our own little deal . Trappers from North east south and west all have general base line . However take a few trappers from the deep south and a few from our west a few from the UP and some from the east coast and get them all talking and they all have slightly different cultures to them that's shaped for a number of reasons. Different styles to sets, different ways of interacting, different thought processes. And of course everyone knows trappers from different eras have a different culture onto themselves. Fur boom trappers vs 2000's trappers is one brought up all the time .
Gun culture is no different whatsoever. Again not good or bad just different
Personally I think the ears I'm talking about was cool because it was like this middle ground where people weren't all on the tactical AR-15 and stuff wagon but at the same time it wasn't 100% traditional just straight up model 94 Winchesters and maybe a garand or M1 in the mix. There was a lot of wacky stuff coming out . Idk it just seemed like a super cool time to be in the firearms community

Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961178
09/30/23 03:28 AM
09/30/23 03:28 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The only synthetic stocked bolt gun I own is a ruger markII with a zytell stock. I ordered it in 300 win mag with iron sights. The rear sight folds down so a scope can be mounted. I wanted the iron sights in case of a scope catastrophe. I bought it in the early 90's. All stainless steel. Trigger was horrible. A timney fixed that problem. Was a shooter the day I bought it. Factory or reloads its not picky. At the time my buddies thought it was ugly and poor quality. For some reason that opinion has changed. People really like them. I liked it from jump.

If you want to talk about "gun culture" you can't forget pickup rear window gun racks. People didn't carry concealed as often as they do now it was illegal. Everyone that owned guns and a pickup had a window rack though.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961191
09/30/23 06:11 AM
09/30/23 06:11 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

What you call gun culture to many of us is just a way of life. What we need and use. As Danny stated when many of us were growing up guns in back windows of pickups was common. Every farm kid had a rifle in truck for ghogs etc For many yrs i carried a .44 and a .22-250 in my vehicle because I was in and out of wild places all the time...lions etc. Now im older i have no need.Today if you did that they probably would be stolen.

Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961199
09/30/23 06:35 AM
09/30/23 06:35 AM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
If you get the American Rifleman you’re a gun nut, the American Hunter what are you? I guessing both are a part of the modern gun culture. What I remember the folks that bought and sold guns all the time and set up at gun shows were gun nuts. But a lot of them were hunters also. Then the folks that hunted every chance they got, bought what guns they needed and hunted. I would have fell in between because I hunted and trapped but could never pass up a good deal on a gun, if I had the money.

Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: danny clifton] #7961204
09/30/23 06:41 AM
09/30/23 06:41 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by danny clifton
The only synthetic stocked bolt gun I own is a ruger markII with a zytell stock. I ordered it in 300 win mag with iron sights. The rear sight folds down so a scope can be mounted. I wanted the iron sights in case of a scope catastrophe. I bought it in the early 90's. All stainless steel. Trigger was horrible. A timney fixed that problem. Was a shooter the day I bought it. Factory or reloads its not picky. At the time my buddies thought it was ugly and poor quality. For some reason that opinion has changed. People really like them. I liked it from jump.

If you want to talk about "gun culture" you can't forget pickup rear window gun racks. People didn't carry concealed as often as they do now it was illegal. Everyone that owned guns and a pickup had a window rack though.

I turned 16 in 1983, and like most kids managed to save up enough to buy my first truck. And of course the back window gun rack was the first and mandatory accessory. Everybody had one so you had to do it too!

Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: west river rogue] #7961217
09/30/23 07:12 AM
09/30/23 07:12 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by west river rogue
What you call gun culture to many of us is just a way of life. What we need and use. As Danny stated when many of us were growing up guns in back windows of pickups was common. Every farm kid had a rifle in truck for ghogs etc For many yrs i carried a .44 and a .22-250 in my vehicle because I was in and out of wild places all the time...lions etc. Now im older i have no need.Today if you did that they probably would be stolen.

Don't know what's with everyone and the term gun culture on this post
[Linked Image]

Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: danny clifton] #7961232
09/30/23 07:36 AM
09/30/23 07:36 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho

Heck I still do. Sometimes harder to fit gun racks in the windows of these new rigs though. Had to remove the rear seat headrests in my 09 Tacoma. Stupid design anyways, seriously in the way to look out the back window, and they could be folded down, but they didn't fold straight down, but out at an angle so they stuck way out in the way of any cargo you were putting in the back seat.

Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: bearcat2] #7961245
09/30/23 07:48 AM
09/30/23 07:48 AM
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

Originally Posted by bearcat2

Heck I still do. Sometimes harder to fit gun racks in the windows of these new rigs though. Had to remove the rear seat headrests in my 09 Tacoma. Stupid design anyways, seriously in the way to look out the back window, and they could be folded down, but they didn't fold straight down, but out at an angle so they stuck way out in the way of any cargo you were putting in the back seat.

We used roof racks in our state trucks in s.d. inside top of cab then when needed release the hooks and drop in your lap.

Last edited by west river rogue; 09/30/23 07:51 AM.
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961293
09/30/23 08:59 AM
09/30/23 08:59 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
There were two cultures back in the day. One like my father who saw guns as tools. Didn't matter to him that his shotgun was a Belgium Browning lightweight. It was just a tool for putting meat on the table.

But there were nuts like his son who bought every gun rag on the magazine rack, read the greats like Keith, Skelton, Seyfried, Cooper, Jordan, Askins (now there was a real character), and many others. Never missed a gun show, knew every gun and pawn shop in Central Alabama and horse traded more guns than was economically smart.

[Linked Image]
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: warrior] #7961356
09/30/23 10:50 AM
09/30/23 10:50 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by warrior
There were two cultures back in the day. One like my father who saw guns as tools. Didn't matter to him that his shotgun was a Belgium Browning lightweight. It was just a tool for putting meat on the table.

But there were nuts like his son who bought every gun rag on the magazine rack, read the greats like Keith, Skelton, Seyfried, Cooper, Jordan, Askins (now there was a real character), and many others..

Yep!I can still see my dad giving me that look every time I went to a gun show or brought home my latest buy.He had a .32 special,a old hand me down 97 Winchester pump and a 1890 .22 WRF.They weren't antiques to him,they were what he used to bring home the game.He never did understand my fascination with firearms.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961401
09/30/23 12:32 PM
09/30/23 12:32 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
yes culture is absolutely a way of life and everyone has one , everyone participates in at least one culture often many , you can't see what it is till you step out of it and look at from afar or look at it compared to someone else.

like the term Culture shock. about 2002 my cousin brought his step son deer hunting , the kid was about 22-23 and thought he had done all sorts of hunting back in California.

well he got to WI and it was culture shock , the way we hunted , the way we cut them up in the garage , my great aunt coming into the garage while we were cutting deer and saying save me some good soup bones.

for that kid soup came in a can with a red and white label

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961430
09/30/23 01:20 PM
09/30/23 01:20 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I think carrying an M1 carbine on yer belt is a great way to get to the modern pants half way down the a$$ look of today.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961434
09/30/23 01:32 PM
09/30/23 01:32 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Geez when I was in high school in 80s (small town SE Nebraska) every kid in my class had a gun in the car or truck. If we didn’t have practice after school we would hit a few fields on way home for pheasants and rabbits. In winter it was coyotes too. Never thought anything different about it. Some kids had gun racks in back window of their pickups. Vehicles sat in school parking lot all through a school day and never an incident.
I remember for speech class even had one buddy do a speech on gun safety and he brought in several different models to show everyone how they worked and the safety features as well as safe handling. Kid got a good grade for it too and it was a great speech.
I remember for my birthday I used to have a couple buddy’s over and we would hunt rabbits next day.
It was as normal as anything else we did at the time.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961441
09/30/23 01:46 PM
09/30/23 01:46 PM
Oregon 66
bfflobo Offline
trapper
bfflobo  Offline
trapper

Oregon 66
Several reasons you don't see racks in the back window. One being the metal that the cabs are made of is so thin they won't support the weight or vibration of guns in them. Like mentioned above, head rests and the seat up tight to the back large window with no storage space behind to gain leg room in smaller cabs.

Last edited by bfflobo; 09/30/23 01:48 PM.

Clean traps,tight lines,straight shooting
http://i.imgur.com/3sawxE9m.jpg
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: jabNE] #7961446
09/30/23 01:56 PM
09/30/23 01:56 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by jabNE
Geez when I was in high school in 80s (small town SE Nebraska) every kid in my class had a gun in the car or truck. If we didn’t have practice after school we would hit a few fields on way home for pheasants and rabbits. In winter it was coyotes too. Never thought anything different about it. Some kids had gun racks in back window of their pickups. Vehicles sat in school parking lot all through a school day and never an incident.
I remember for speech class even had one buddy do a speech on gun safety and he brought in several different models to show everyone how they worked and the safety features as well as safe handling. Kid got a good grade for it too and it was a great speech.
I remember for my birthday I used to have a couple buddy’s over and we would hunt rabbits next day.
Jim

The reason we now call it gun culture is the old way of guns in every truck as tools has given way to guns are to be locked up as dangerous. The kids have moved to town and gunowners both tool user and nut have had to unite.

Oh and the left gave us a title in culture in an effort to demonize us.

But I thought in their world that all cultures mattered. I guess not.

[Linked Image]
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: bfflobo] #7961447
09/30/23 01:57 PM
09/30/23 01:57 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by bfflobo
Several reasons you don't see racks in the back window. One being the metal that the cabs are made of is so thin they won't support the weight or vibration of guns in them. Like mentioned above, head rests and the seat up tight to the back large window with no storage space behind to gain leg room in smaller cabs.

and most trucks have a back seat now definitely >50%

theft also being an issue , I don't leave my gun in the truck any more lost one that way , no thanks I just bring it in the back door now

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961477
09/30/23 02:59 PM
09/30/23 02:59 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The world has definitely changed. I still think school shootings would be a non issue if kids and teachers still took guns to school.

A quick application of violence would cure this run amok looting as well.

Last edited by danny clifton; 09/30/23 02:59 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: Wolfdog91] #7961508
09/30/23 03:53 PM
09/30/23 03:53 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Danny they are not looters. They are " alternative shoppers "

You sound like a racist

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: 80'-90's gun culture [Re: warrior] #7961556
09/30/23 05:29 PM
09/30/23 05:29 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by jabNE
Jim

The reason we now call it gun culture is the old way of guns in every truck as tools has given way to guns are to be locked up as dangerous. The kids have moved to town and gunowners both tool user and nut have had to unite.

Oh and the left gave us a title in culture in an effort to demonize us.

But I thought in their world that all cultures mattered. I guess not.

......what ?.....the left .. demonize.......I'm honestly at a lost for words with that one

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread