ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Trail Cameras #7923341
08/08/23 09:05 AM
08/08/23 09:05 AM
Washington
R
Rooster705 Offline OP
trapper
Rooster705  Offline OP
trapper
R

Washington
What cameras are you guys running on your traps? I bought a couple of the Moultrie edge units to keep an eye on my traps and animals in the area, and to say I am disappointed with them is an understatement. Even having said that, I am a big fan of the capability it provides even with the less than stellar function. I prefer something with cellular capability for a couple reasons at this point. Suggestions?

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7923354
08/08/23 09:36 AM
08/08/23 09:36 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
I have been using Tactacam Reveals.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7923481
08/08/23 01:34 PM
08/08/23 01:34 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

What are your disappointments with the Edges?

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7924915
08/10/23 10:36 AM
08/10/23 10:36 AM
Washington
R
Rooster705 Offline OP
trapper
Rooster705  Offline OP
trapper
R

Washington
My biggest complaint is in regard to it not triggering at all, even with me moving in front of them and working with the traps for a bit and not getting a single picture. Secondly, I have both set up to take 3 pictures when triggered, which neither one does on even a semi regular basis. I have completely given up on the video function of these cameras. I have tried many different angles for emplacing them, making sure the PIR is clean, batteries are good etc. I am just not getting consistent pictures. I know they have a slow (.8 second) trigger speed, but was not terribly concerned with that given the application of setting them up over traps. I’m not a small guy. If I don’t trigger them consistently, what else am I missing. Most of the time, I don’t get pictures of the animal I have in a trap the next day. I have placed a buddies trail cam (muddy?) next to either of my edges, and it will take 5x the pictures overnight and capture more animals. It’s a regular non-cellular camera, not that it should matter that I know of. I have been in contact with Moultrie about this. Just curious if I’m unlucky enough to get 2 junk trail cams or what.

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: QuietButDeadly] #7924916
08/10/23 10:37 AM
08/10/23 10:37 AM
Washington
R
Rooster705 Offline OP
trapper
Rooster705  Offline OP
trapper
R

Washington
Thanks Quiet. I’ll look into those.

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7925229
08/10/23 06:20 PM
08/10/23 06:20 PM
Sultan , Wa
Jakeland Offline
trapper
Jakeland  Offline
trapper

Sultan , Wa
I run SPYPOINT micro links great pics but no video

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7925262
08/10/23 07:04 PM
08/10/23 07:04 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Rooster705
My biggest complaint is in regard to it not triggering at all, even with me moving in front of them and working with the traps for a bit and not getting a single picture. Secondly, I have both set up to take 3 pictures when triggered, which neither one does on even a semi regular basis. I have completely given up on the video function of these cameras. I have tried many different angles for emplacing them, making sure the PIR is clean, batteries are good etc. I am just not getting consistent pictures. I know they have a slow (.8 second) trigger speed, but was not terribly concerned with that given the application of setting them up over traps. I’m not a small guy. If I don’t trigger them consistently, what else am I missing. Most of the time, I don’t get pictures of the animal I have in a trap the next day. I have placed a buddies trail cam (muddy?) next to either of my edges, and it will take 5x the pictures overnight and capture more animals. It’s a regular non-cellular camera, not that it should matter that I know of. I have been in contact with Moultrie about this. Just curious if I’m unlucky enough to get 2 junk trail cams or what.

I've read reviews about the Edges not triggering at all. And, with no SD card or internal memory....one will not know what they're missing. I haven't tested mine with another camera to see if it's doing the same.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7934838
08/23/23 02:06 PM
08/23/23 02:06 PM
OH
T
trapper/caller Offline
trapper
trapper/caller  Offline
trapper
T

OH
I like my Browning cams. Covert are good. My Bushnell eats batteries bad

I will not buy a Moultrie cam again after many issues.

Reconyx are said to be the best with awesome customer service and made in USA.

Tactacam Reveal X-cell cam is working good for home security.

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7936225
08/24/23 10:48 PM
08/24/23 10:48 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
I use Spartan cellular wireless cameras and a few Browning Strike Force non cellular cameras. It seems all of the cellular cameras have some issues at some point, but most can be worked out. The basic Spartan cellular camera (the Go Cam) sells for $199 but you have to pay for the data used to transmit the pictures to your cell phone with any cellular camera. That cost varies with brand. I have my cameras on my Verizon unlimited cell phone plan, $5 month for unlimited pictures on each camera.

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7958148
09/25/23 03:17 PM
09/25/23 03:17 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’m not in the ADC business, but I use Spartans on my trap line for off the route sets and places I didn’t set to see if I need to move sets. Nothing like waking up in the morning and seeing a caught critter or a miss and know where you now need to put a set. Been running Spartans before 3G, lol.

My son has one Reveal and so far it has run off every mature deer that’s stepped in front of it. We experimented twice after getting a good buck with the Spartans then swapping out with the Reveal. One night with the Reveal and they no longer return. It’s an IR glow, but something about it mature deer don’t like.

Re: Trail Cameras [Re: Rooster705] #7961993
10/01/23 12:04 PM
10/01/23 12:04 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
Some and maybe most of the trail cameras make an audible "shutter click" when the camera is triggered. An animal standing nearby during a quiet night can definitely hear that click and will look to see what/where the noise came from. If at that instant they see the faint red glow of an IR type flash camera, that could be enough to spook them.

In my experience, most animals will become accustomed to the slight noise & faint red flash after a while, especially at feeder sites. Back in the day before IR (red flash) or black/no flash cameras, we used bright white flash cameras and the deer got used to those bright flashes after a while and then never paid much attention to it. To them it was probably like a lightening flash without the loud noise of thunder. In some pictures you can see the animal staring right at the camera so you know, they know the camera is there. The best option for not alerting or spooking animals is the black flash/no flash cameras. Most name brand cameras have those. Many of the cellular cameras utilize the black flash. Technology is constantly evolving so no telling what will be available every year. The price does seem to be coming down on the cellular cameras as more manufacturers come out with new and hopefully better products.

I think it helps to position the camera above their line of sight and preferably off to the side of their line of travel. Cameras will provide you with allot of cool pictures and a new perspective of what is going on out there when you are not around. Cellular cameras provide those pictures within seconds sent to your cell phone 24/7. Having an adequate cellular signal from your cell service provider is important to the operation of a cellular camera.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread