Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
DP bait is mixed - on a mission for coon #7982728
10/30/23 07:33 AM
10/30/23 07:33 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Not running a very big line this year but I am targeting coon and coyotes. I know, not much of a market for either one around here, but the populations are high and good year to go have some fun. At the end of this post I’ll share some reminder pics from one of my land owners on why going after coon.

From dollar general:
Two bags of nine lives cat food, ocean fish flavored
Two tins of sardines in oil

From another grocery store (dollar general was out):
Bottle of liquid smoke, hickory

Mashed up the sardines and dumped those into a 3 gallon plastic container with lid. A five gallon bucket with lid works well too. Dumped in the cat foot. Added a couple generous squirts of liquid smoke.

Put the lid on and shake the container every couple days to keep things stirred up.

Will be ready to rock and roll after Tthanksgiving. You can add about anything to the cat food. Molasses, fruity jello mix powder, vanilla, anise, fish oil, etc. etc seriously about anything works. I have found a little oily cheap fish like a couple $1 tins of sardines and a shot of liquid smoke is a solid combo and seems to outperform straight dry cat food for me. For under $10 this makes a lot of DP bait. The liquid smoke I don’t use the whole bottle by any means so that investment will hold me for several seasons.

Jim grin

From one of my landowners…
Coon in the combine engine compartment. Did a suicide dive down into the cooling fan and destroyed all the fan blades. Coon are high on his #1 enemy list right now. Time to help him out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jabNE; 10/30/23 01:35 PM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: DP bait is mixed - on a mission for coon [Re: jabNE] #7982758
10/30/23 08:03 AM
10/30/23 08:03 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I bet that left a mark. OUCH !

Re: DP bait is mixed - on a mission for coon [Re: jabNE] #7983560
10/31/23 07:39 AM
10/31/23 07:39 AM
MO
C
Crappiekiller Offline
trapper
Crappiekiller  Offline
trapper
C

MO
I switched up last year after taking off the crème to pickled fish and mini marshmallows. I went 4 for 4 for 2 nights before I had to pull traps. Went back a couple weeks later and catch drop to 2 out of 4, but made a dent in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

Rewarded with a bumper crop of baby turkeys this spring.

CK
Re: DP bait is mixed - on a mission for coon [Re: jabNE] #7983962
10/31/23 07:36 PM
10/31/23 07:36 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
It's to c old here the coons are hold up .

Re: DP bait is mixed - on a mission for coon [Re: jabNE] #7984770
11/01/23 07:21 PM
11/01/23 07:21 PM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Offline
trapper
Broomchaser  Offline
trapper
B

Missouri
My brother forgot to check one morning and threw a coon through his combine. 22,000 dollars.

Last edited by Broomchaser; 11/18/23 01:26 PM.

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91