Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual #7995652
11/16/23 02:10 AM
11/16/23 02:10 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Just had time to review my recently received Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual. Some may not like what I say but frankly I do not care. I was hesitant to purchase this manual but decided that possibly there was some things to learn. Well I learned. I learned that I should have never purchased it.
In the very beginning of the manual on page i there is a code of ethics. Including this to me is just wrong. The Alaska Trappers Association is selling a trapping manual and I do not think its right to try and influence trappers in this way by trying to force feed it to them. Also on page 3 paragraph 1 it states and I quote ." Wolf populations have NEVER been endangered in or even threatened in Alaska." That may be true but again whom ever wrote this is trying to use the writing to influence others. Something I do not agree with.
As far as trapping related information goes, what I have scanted over so far seems pretty basic and if you are a new trapper it might be helpful.

Last edited by Slick Pan; 11/16/23 11:35 PM.
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7995868
11/16/23 11:41 AM
11/16/23 11:41 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanks for buying the manual. You are entitled to your opinion of what it is worth!

ATA is constantly striving to improve trapper ethics and knowledge of furbearers. That is why we included the things that you are upset about being included.

As for the manual being "pretty basic..." The whole idea is to allow beginners to become proficient AND for others with more experience to pick up a few tips that might make them more proficient. When it was first published, I had been trapping for many years and had caught a few wolves. But I can assure you that I learned a few things from the experienced wolf trappers who contributed material. I am always anxious to learn more tricks of the trade.

Despite your criticism, most people really like it and are grateful for the info presented. In fact, you are the first person I have ever heard make these criticisms! Sorry it didn't measure up to your standards!

Pete

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996118
11/16/23 07:51 PM
11/16/23 07:51 PM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
You forget to take your meds?? Our code of ethics is an off the wall thing to take offense over. If more people followed that advice trapping might be around a little longer.

You’ll probably get bent to know the state prints the ethics on the back of the trapping regulation booklet.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996254
11/16/23 10:36 PM
11/16/23 10:36 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I honestly don't remember what the code of ethics says in the ATA manual, but I assume it is probably pretty close to what is the code of ethics of most trapping organizations. Most organizations have a "code of ethics" or similar and print it on most of their publications. I never really give it much thought unless there is something in it I disagree with. I certainly don't have a problem with it being printed, and if there is something in it I disagree with I can either bring that up to the organization or decide not to support the organization. Frankly I think it is usually a waste of ink, because with the exception of the very young who haven't learned ethics from others yet, people are either ethical and the naive but ethical MIGHT get something from the code and those are rare but probably who the code is printed for. The unethical are going to ignore the code and think those who follow it are stupid, while the ethical probably don't need to read the code because they are already ethical.

Now if there is something in the code you don't agree with, I certainly think you should state what it is and everybody can have a discussion on whether it should be in the code of ethics or not. (Although frankly I'm unsure how much weight either your or my opinion should have, since neither of us are Alaska residents).

As far as your quote, if that is an actual quote I'd have a lot more issue with the grammar, since that sentence doesn't even make sense the way it is written.

I have the manual, but it is loaned out so I can't check your quote, I will agree with it being "pretty basic" and personally didn't find it as helpful as many claim, but it does have a lot of basic information for the beginner and some good tidbits for others. For those of us in other areas we have to sift through it and weed out the advice/methods that either aren't legal, wise/ethical or feasible for our area. I would have liked to seen more in depth info from the Southeast (or Southwest, I never remember which) where they deal with large amounts of wet snow and freeze/thaw conditions, since that is the type of conditions I am often dealing and struggling with. Again though, this is an ALASKA trappers manual written for ALASKANS not for those of us in the lower 48, thus it should be written for the most helpful information for them, those of us in other areas can sift through and glean all the information we can from it, but in my opinion it should only be changed to satisfy Alaskans, not to appease/appeal to anyone from anywhere else.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996279
11/16/23 11:11 PM
11/16/23 11:11 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
You could ask for a refund. Good luck with your wolfing.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996283
11/16/23 11:14 PM
11/16/23 11:14 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
People who come to Alaska do not have Alaskan trapper ethics. How is anybody supposed to know the the rules of the game here, if nobody tells them. People will follow them or not, but at least they will know what they are and why they have conflict, when they have it.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996302
11/16/23 11:56 PM
11/16/23 11:56 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
I have corrected the quote. It should read " Wolf populations have NEVER been endangered in or even threatened in Alaska."

I was so upset at the manual that I did not read my post as close as I should have for which I have corrected it.

As far as the Alaska Trappers Assoc. code of ethics, if the Alaska Trappers Assoc. wants to pin it on their foreheads I don't care but the manual is not just being sold to Alaskans. The manual is being sold to anyone who puts up their hard earned money. I don't think it right to collect other peoples money that are not part of the association and use the money to promote their own agenda. That's my take on it and this will be my last post about it.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996308
11/17/23 12:08 AM
11/17/23 12:08 AM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
As the ATA grew and was beginning to start chapters within the state in the early 80's it became important to establish a Code of Ethics as a guideline here in Alaska.

Alaskas has a long history of established traplines. Some have been trapped by families for several generations. In the early years when I arrived its was a no no to even ride someones trapline. Alaska has elected to not enact the Canadian Registered trapline scenario. Thus we believe in managing our own line and keep Government out of our business. We find areas that are open and physically cut our own lines and it can take years to finally work it and make it productive. Alaska is hungry country unlike other parts of the US. So if an individual trapper goes to all the work over the years to establish a line he is entitled to being left alone!

It's been over 40 years that the Code of Ethics was first published and this is the first complaint I have heard about of it. I was there in its conception and am proud of the work ATA I did on it! The sad thing is that it will not make an unethical trapper be ethical. If new trappers learn from the beginning it helps.

If you or anyone else needs more than basics to catch wolves you're not spending enough time studying their habits.

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996334
11/17/23 12:42 AM
11/17/23 12:42 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
So, you didn’t ask for a refund?

Last edited by mad_mike; 11/17/23 01:16 AM. Reason: Removed OP’s quote.
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996366
11/17/23 03:37 AM
11/17/23 03:37 AM
ak ⚡️
A
Alder Offline
trapper
Alder  Offline
trapper
A

ak ⚡️
If wolves have never been threatened or endangered in Alaska, is it so wrong of them to state that as such? That would be a great reason to allow continued trapping under sustained yield principles. I find it head scratching that would be triggering for ANY trapper,

Don’t let facts upset you because it’s different than where you reside or from your experience.

Good luck trapping wolves. I hope you find the info you’re seeking.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996377
11/17/23 05:57 AM
11/17/23 05:57 AM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
I have corrected the quote. It should read " Wolf populations have NEVER been endangered in or even threatened in Alaska."

I was so upset at the manual that I did not read my post as close as I should have for which I have corrected it.

As far as the Alaska Trappers Assoc. code of ethics, if the Alaska Trappers Assoc. wants to pin it on their foreheads I don't care but the manual is not just being sold to Alaskans. The manual is being sold to anyone who puts up their hard earned money. I don't think it right to collect other peoples money that are not part of the association and use the money to promote their own agenda. That's my take on it and this will be my last post about it.

I think we should change your screen name to "Old Man Yelling at Clouds"

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996652
11/17/23 12:10 PM
11/17/23 12:10 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you want to learn how to trap wolves,go hang out with the trappers who trap wolves and listen to what they have to say and watch what they do.
Then you can build on that thru your own experience after your apprenticeship is done.
You need a good attitude and be willing to provide something like sweat equity to those who are willing to bring you along on their lines while showing you the ropes.

Last edited by Boco; 11/17/23 12:16 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996685
11/17/23 12:55 PM
11/17/23 12:55 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
When I took the wuff class , with our Jack as instructor, he mentioned the population stats of not only Idaho, but Montana and also Alaska as well. Just by way of giving interesting comparisons, as well as the regs in similarities and differences. The class found that info interesting. I was fascinated with every story, every statistic Jack offered to share.

On the other hand....I feel info about wuffs being plentiful , or not endangered or threatened, actually good to state in writing. Whoever sees any similar statements is potentially educated in the real truth of the status of wildlife that trappers surely are qualified to give.

It certainly doesn't hurt a thing.

It always has me smile when a voice of observation , at times, goes against some "reports" and says that wuffs are actually much more in abundance throughout Idaho and Montana than the stats report. Same as bears.

I like it that the three states are often the same in many similarities and the pride of living in them.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7996702
11/17/23 01:27 PM
11/17/23 01:27 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Slick Pan, you state "I don't think it right to collect other peoples money that are not part of the association and use the money to promote their own agenda." If you believe this, then i can only assume you don't purchase Subarus, Dawn soap, Girl Scout cookies, Proctor Gamble products, just to mane a few, that use your money to promote anti trapping agendas?

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7997640
11/18/23 12:40 PM
11/18/23 12:40 PM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
My experience is also that people who are offended by reading about "trapping ethics" are often those who badly need to read that list!

Pete

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7997709
11/18/23 02:24 PM
11/18/23 02:24 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
I agree, Pete. If you scroll through that list and take offense that a trapping organization supports those things, well....glad I don't trap near him.
And if he wasn't able to learn a single thing from that manual, he really needs to write one himself. He clearly is a Wolf Master.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7997878
11/18/23 05:23 PM
11/18/23 05:23 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
The whole purpose of the manual is to influence someone reading it. Along with “ethics” it influences someone reading it on how to catch wolves. All any book, manual, or website can do is influence those reading it.
You OP has been a “negative” influence!

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7998120
11/18/23 10:04 PM
11/18/23 10:04 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Online content
trapper
beartooth trapr  Online Content
trapper
B

Montana
I enjoyed the Book and DVD, feel it to be well done.

Excellent job goes out ATA.

Gotta love a Debbie Downer

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7998472
11/19/23 01:07 PM
11/19/23 01:07 PM
Tok, Alaska
N
northway Offline
trapper
northway  Offline
trapper
N

Tok, Alaska
Interesting take. I’m still a little confused at how you can be offended by the code of ethics or the statement about wolves in Alaska. But in my line of business, thats an all too common theme-being offended.

Re: Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual [Re: Slick Pan] #7998489
11/19/23 01:32 PM
11/19/23 01:32 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
What blows my mind is that Slick Pan could not find any useful information in the manuals 123 pages.
I must be as dumb as a box of rocks because just thumbing through the manual I see very informative bits of knowledge. Not sure there is similar knowledge collected in a single source elsewhere. If there is I would like to know where to find it.

I hope he asked for a refund on his purchase.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman