No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
RE: Making Mr. Dobbins smile #8009314
12/02/23 07:34 AM
12/02/23 07:34 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Couple days ago I posted some pics of making cat flags with wads of old cassette tape and a length of fishing line. It’s right out of Charlie Dobbins land trapping book.

Like this…
[Linked Image]

On Thursday I snuck out and put a handful of sets at typical locations on my line. Big cedar draws, crop edges near those, that sort of thing. Here is a big flashy dirthole near a tall weed. Set is location at this opening in the weed edge and that opening into the cedar draw in background. There was a set of cat tracks here coming out of the draw into the flat picked bean field.
[Linked Image]

A little closer shot of the set. It’s poorly made, sorry, but just a big flashy dirthole. The tall button weed has a cassette flag hanging from one of the little weed branches. (Arrows) That red on weed stem is a smear of Dunlap’s hellfire lure. Hole has some predator bait and a little cat pee on edge. Hit on all the senses, right?
Trap is a #2 Bridger dogless.
[Linked Image]

So that was Thursday. My son Gunner and I checked sets last night. Here is first nights check success. Thank you Mr. Dobbins for years of wisdom and teaching us your ways.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And I have a signed copy of his book. My land trapping bible.
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 12/02/23 07:38 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: RE: Making Mr. Dobbins smile [Re: jabNE] #8009484
12/02/23 12:07 PM
12/02/23 12:07 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
And Paul, thanks for a cool site where we can be us and do what we do.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: RE: Making Mr. Dobbins smile [Re: jabNE] #8009489
12/02/23 12:10 PM
12/02/23 12:10 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Good Job. Yes Charlie and Paul a wealth of wisdom to learn from. There willingness to share is priceless.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread