No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Help from the horse ladies. #8020614
12/14/23 12:07 PM
12/14/23 12:07 PM
missouri
S
salemtrapper Offline OP
trapper
salemtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
S

missouri
So I have a 7 year old girl, who is into to 2 things gymnastics and horses.. she is a brat, and has everything already so I am needing Christmas ideas.. I bought her a balance beam to match her bars she flips on in the shed so I was thinking something horse related. I thought maybe some of you horse ladies like mrs.sharon could give me an idea of something a little girl would love for her horse. Needs, or wants. We just trail ride mainly Maybe later in time she will go into barrels, or if dad has his way break away roping. She loves speed lol.

Re: Help from the horse ladies. [Re: salemtrapper] #8022316
12/16/23 03:41 PM
12/16/23 03:41 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I just saw this.

Since she likes speed, and in air on the beam, combine the two. She will need a level area like a riding arena , or an open spot on ground or pasture to practice .

Get some jumping bars, beams , even smaller round tree trunk portions that are limb smooth will do. Place several, four or five, on the ground , three or so feet apart. You didn't say the size horse, large pony, etc. The taller the horse , the farther apart the poles need to be. Not too far either, or they will skip to reach over them.

Start at a walk and walk right over the set of poles on the ground. Let them learn how to look where they're going, pick up their feet and place each leg between the poles. Just like placement guides in sticks going into a foothold.

Once this is mastered at a walk, do them at a trot. If the horse is breaking smooth reach in getting over them, place them closer apart or farther apart, depending how they navigate the spacing. If I could see them I'd know which way.

Poles on the ground is a great way for both herself and her horse to begin looking ahead, paying attention and learning to lift the legs and gauge distance , for jumping. In time, they can be done at a fast trot.

Later, they can be put on low risers and she can begin to jump. It will come in handy on the trail when she needs to jump low small sticks across a trail.

ANother thought that she would likely love is lessons in jumping. Find an instructor and they both can learn in a proper arena . That would be best , then , just like her gym learning, she will be instructed the right way , safely, and have fun. Have fun, Miss Sharon

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread