The Pen and Quill

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
WIP #7983648
10/31/23 09:14 AM
10/31/23 09:14 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline OP
trapper
slydogx  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I hesitate in posting this for a couple reasons. First, it is hard science fiction and perhaps not a good fit here. Second, it is in draft and not yet polished. It is an excerpt from what I hope will be my future novel, and something I can be proud of.

I am posting it because I think the act of writing, and this Pen and Quill forum in general are important and valuable. There has not been any traffic in some time, so I am contributing what I can.

Along with a flash of bright light came a glimmer of consciousness, a journey from the void to self-awareness. In an instant, the boy knew he was a boy, he knew he was three years old; he knew he was alone, floating.
The first voice he would ever hear pierced the veil of his solitude. Mechanical, measured, without emotion.

“Subject – 36 - month wellness check. Chamber 05.16. Male. Heritage genetics – Anglo Caucasioid. Intellect Enhancement Module confirmed. Status is green, no error codes.”

After a brief pause, the voice continued to drone on.

“Begin stimulus response protocol.”
An electric hum began to build, increasing in intensity to an ear pounding crescendo. The boy’s body contorted in pain as his muscles involuntarily contracted, his back arched, jaw clenched, hands clawed.

“Pass. Stasis mode resumes in 10 seconds.”

Release, blackness, void.

Then, awareness of a familiar presence.

The Worm, which had taken to lurking at the back of the boy’s mind roared forward to the space behind his eyes. Its lips curled back, exposing row after row of glistening, dagger like teeth and exhaled a venomous hiss that sounded like water being poured on a bed of embers.

“This new world of man is corrupt and lazy and fallen. Change it must, and change is coming, but it will not come from the COMSOC councils and their tepid mediocrity. It won’t come from sycophantic Overmaster faggots or their sweaty Underboss henchmen and certainly not from brainless Troglodyte pit labor.”

Its eyes narrowed to glowing red slashes and its toothy grin grew impossibly wider than it already had been. Pausing to run its tongue along the front of its teeth, the worm’s voice dropped to a rumbling baritone whisper.

“Change will come from the half-starved victims of the COMSOC’s folly. Not those content to scrape an existence from the crumbs provided by the Worker’s Council, not the sheep in constant blind confusion following the edicts of the irredeemably fallen World Church. It will come to the world, screaming into the light in blood and chaos and violence like a newborn baby. It will come from one who serves no king.”

As much as it was possible for a thing so reptilian, so dangerous, so alien, the Worm’s aspect softened to that of a parent consoling a child. Behind its impossibly deep voice, a comforting rumble signaled ease and contentment. “Sleep now, child. Fear not the darkness. Fear not the void. I am here ever on watch. I occupy the space between the spaces. You are never alone.”

With that, the Worm’s eyes snapped shut. Like the sheathing of a thousand times a thousand swords, its lips uncurled to hide crimson gums and jagged white teeth and it faded into the background as if it had never been.

Release, blackness, void.

Just happy to be here.
Re: WIP [Re: slydogx] #7983718
10/31/23 11:04 AM
10/31/23 11:04 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Wow! You have a good command of the words, and a good imagination. Post more! Not generally my favored genre, but give me more.

Jack

Re: WIP [Re: slydogx] #7983782
10/31/23 12:17 PM
10/31/23 12:17 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline OP
trapper
slydogx  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
The largest of the troglodytes, the one who had struck the boy now held him fast against the concrete floor, a single massive, calloused hand wrapped around his neck. The smell of sweat, alcohol and machine oil was suddenly overpowered by the sickly sweet stench of the troglodyte’s breath as it pressed in close and grunted in self-satisfaction that it had injured the boy so easily.

Effortlessly, it stood up, lifting the boy in the air by his throat and with a dismissive flick of its wrist, flung him into the wall.
“Cromak!” it bellowed, followed by a guffaw of laughter.

Celebratory hoots and laughter followed from the small audience of hulking brutes who had gathered to watch the violence unfold. “Cromak!” They shouted in unison, cheering him by name to show their approval of his mindless savagery.

His every instinct screaming at him to stay down lest he again attract the attention of Cromak, who was now distracted by congratulatory rough housing with the other troglodytes. Against his will, the boy clumsily, painfully struggled to his feet. Adrenaline surged through his body as the Worm asserted control. Perception narrowed to focus on Cromak’s face, his leering, jagged smile and the boy’s sense of self was torn from him in a torrent of madness as wellsprings of rage began to flow unchecked.

Just happy to be here.
Re: WIP [Re: slydogx] #8020384
12/14/23 04:36 AM
12/14/23 04:36 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Interesting and well-written.

I'm never sure whether someone posts their work for comments, or just to show their work to others here.

You're not the only one who writes hard SF sometimes.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: WIP [Re: slydogx] #8020805
12/14/23 04:22 PM
12/14/23 04:22 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline OP
trapper
slydogx  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I always appreciate comments or feedback... but I am fine with folks who just read and move along or skip the posts entirely because they aren't big fiction readers.
Mostly, I try to post in here once in a while because it gets me out of my comfort zone and it adds traffic to what is unfortunately a fairly slow section of the forums.

Thanks for chiming in

Just happy to be here.
Re: WIP [Re: slydogx] #8040347
01/04/24 09:44 PM
01/04/24 09:44 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Is this a short story or novel excerpt?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: WIP [Re: slydogx] #8040815
01/05/24 12:11 PM
01/05/24 12:11 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline OP
trapper
slydogx  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
It is intended to be a novel. I have picked it up and put it down about 50 times LOL. I am trying to force myself to get it written and self published within the next year and half.

Just happy to be here.
Re: WIP [Re: slydogx] #8041430
01/06/24 04:21 AM
01/06/24 04:21 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I would look for an agent and/or publisher directly before going the self-publishing route. If possible, you want others to pay to publish your work, not yourself.

But first you have to write it.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread