No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: MEMORY [Re: grumpa] #8051544
01/16/24 02:57 PM
01/16/24 02:57 PM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
I always thought that a long snow machine trapline was good for the brain. Over the years the stories of trappers and others getting into trouble and having to survive until help arrives or not was always in the back of my mind. Recently a couple froze to death on Eagle summit getting stuck in their vehicle during a severe storm is a reminder. Trappers ending up breaking down occasionally happened. As snow machine advanced over the years, almost eliminating iced up carburetors, burned belts, fouled spark plugs broken tracks a trapper can get farther than they can easily walk back to safety.

Then there is remembering where sets are, side trails after a big storm, did I run that or not and buried traps. Will the truck start when I get there. The longer you run the same country a lot of the concerns become less important but you are always thinking. Did I remember everything I will finish with.

I had to retire and give my line away after almost 40 years on that line, I can still close my eyes and remember the many miles that were MY brain recharge every trip. I had my time and passed it on but it is still in my memory!

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: MEMORY [Re: grumpa] #8051587
01/16/24 03:57 PM
01/16/24 03:57 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I always carry extra gear and here walking is a better option if laziness doesn’t win the day. I’ll do a mile walk one way but that’s about it for me I should wear snowshoes but I rarely do. I make a needs lists the day before and add to and scratch off as I go. Always Bic lighters in my vehicles and one or two in my pocket because I run warm so I dress in layers VS heavy coats. If I get injured or go down the layers won’t do the job well so the lighters come into play.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread