Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: steeltraps] #8050737
01/15/24 07:13 PM
01/15/24 07:13 PM
MO
B
BC-Buck Offline OP
trapper
BC-Buck  Offline OP
trapper
B

MO
Originally Posted by steeltraps
It’s 6 am. I’m eating breakfast. Drinking coffee. And reading about = grass and screen in a Cold sheep camp. Thinking about WHERE I can find some coyotes?? What a life!!!! LoL! Interesting read Mark

I agree.

Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: BC-Buck] #8052200
01/17/24 07:17 AM
01/17/24 07:17 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Someone should find those other Pipe Dream posts from a few years ago and resurface them......TONS of info/input/challenges/suggestions in those........

MZ

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: BC-Buck] #8052399
01/17/24 12:11 PM
01/17/24 12:11 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ve gone out at night under a new and full moon to look at screen covered sets. Now my eyes probably aren’t as good as a coyotes, but all you see is the deck without a light. Nothing looks out of the ordinary and that’s with just black screen and no covering. With a little bit of grass it’s the same. What I’ve learned from night hunting is they don’t exactly have X-ray vision at night like folks think. I’m sure something obvious will stand out, as well as scent, but I’ve had them walk a trail directly to me while I’m dead center of a 2 track with my rifle on a tripod and shoot them at 25yds. He never knew I existed. I’ve also caught them on exposed pans after a rain…had to weigh the option of rebedding and adding human scent or letting it be.

Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: Wanna Be] #8053197
01/18/24 06:56 AM
01/18/24 06:56 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I’ve gone out at night under a new and full moon to look at screen covered sets. Now my eyes probably aren’t as good as a coyotes, but all you see is the deck without a light. Nothing looks out of the ordinary and that’s with just black screen and no covering. With a little bit of grass it’s the same. What I’ve learned from night hunting is they don’t exactly have X-ray vision at night like folks think. I’m sure something obvious will stand out, as well as scent, but I’ve had them walk a trail directly to me while I’m dead center of a 2 track with my rifle on a tripod and shoot them at 25yds. He never knew I existed. I’ve also caught them on exposed pans after a rain…had to weigh the option of rebedding and adding human scent or letting it be.

Good stuff......too much grass is NOT your friend and is NOT needed.....but I think, like me, one has to prove it to oneself!

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: BC-Buck] #8053415
01/18/24 11:32 AM
01/18/24 11:32 AM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC
Nother one. Got about a half inch of rain monday, another half inch tuesday, and overnight temps have been in the mid teens and low 20s. Haven't touched a thing, just a new shot of pee on the pipe and let her fish. [Linked Image]

Seriously considering playing with a different version of this with a trench style deep step down set with the void beneath for rain, and just using the grass and screen to cover it with. Rain and freeze resistance, with extra additional foot guiding. We'll see.

Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: BC-Buck] #8053423
01/18/24 11:35 AM
01/18/24 11:35 AM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC

Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: Carolina Foxer] #8053479
01/18/24 12:34 PM
01/18/24 12:34 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Carolina Foxer
Nother one. Got about a half inch of rain monday, another half inch tuesday, and overnight temps have been in the mid teens and low 20s. Haven't touched a thing, just a new shot of pee on the pipe and let her fish. [Linked Image]

Seriously considering playing with a different version of this with a trench style deep step down set with the void beneath for rain, and just using the grass and screen to cover it with. Rain and freeze resistance, with extra additional foot guiding. We'll see.

I use a trench/dirt hole and bed my set to the side. The only “dirt” is the hole and trench. The set is in the “grass” part.

Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: BC-Buck] #8053624
01/18/24 03:15 PM
01/18/24 03:15 PM
Western New York
T
Tony1967 Offline
trapper
Tony1967  Offline
trapper
T

Western New York
Caught this one today, #6 at this set and #12 for this property. This set has been rained on, snowed on, frozen, thawed, you name it. Pipe at the base of an anthill and trap covered with screen and small amount of grass. Little bit of antifreeze flakes at the levers and jaws just to make sure.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: BC-Buck] #8053714
01/18/24 05:46 PM
01/18/24 05:46 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Tony traps in snow like I do and I find ANY set with a trench fills with water or snow or both......

One of the thing about snow and pipes......we get our stink ABOVE ground which I find helpful in allowing the animal to find it easier.......

Of COURSE, any canid will smell your stink even if down in a hole and covered with five inches of snow.......BUT, can they get to it and TASTE it? I want them to find it, taste it and want MORE....and stay there, linger, pulling, circling, etc. Often, if they smell it, can't get to it, scratch at it, etc. they can lose interest and boogie on down the road. I want them to try to get to what's on the inside of the Tootsie Pop........and the pipe allows that, IMO, better than stink in the back of a traditional hole set IN THE SNOW.

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Anyone use Mark Zagger hammer in trap set [Re: Zagman] #8059058
01/24/24 02:03 PM
01/24/24 02:03 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Zagman
Bamboo was part of my learning curve, along with Grab and Die sticks, Grubstakes, T-Bones. etc.

The pipe is more durable than all of them, can be used over and over and over (except for the T-Bones, the other items are largely only good for ONE catch......I still have pipes that are 10-12 years old OR older that are being used).......also, I can drive them in directly (even partially frozen ground) WITHOUT the need for a pilot hole.........not true for bamboo, wooden dowels etc.

T-Bones are remarkably tough and can be pounded into hard ground, but alas, they also have a shelf life and either get chewed up, carried away, eaten, or just break after X-amount of poundings...........

If someone wants to dig up all the old Pipe Dream posts, there's a TON of information in all of them......

Zagman

I've used old shotgun shells to add lure in.
Sheep wool or a cotton ball goes in first.

The plastic PVC pipe is the most durable, IM0

As far as using bamboo, tapped into the ground, another cheap but effective one can be made by drilling a hole into the top of a 1 X 1 or similar sized wooden stake.
It too, tapped into the ground and lure added into the hole.
Craig O'Gorman should get credit for that idea, at least where I first knew of it

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91