Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Ground Hog Liver+Kidney #8064590
01/30/24 07:37 PM
01/30/24 07:37 PM
NW PA
W
washxc Offline OP
trapper
washxc  Offline OP
trapper
W

NW PA
We butchered 3 pigs with some friends last weekend and at the end of the day no one wanted the livers and kidneys. Seemed like a shame to pitch them. Since the grinder was already dirty I ground it all up and took it home. Ended up with about 1 1/3 gallons and it's been sitting in my basement since butcher day. Anyone played around with ground hog livers? It's got a great consistency and a unique smell. I was thinking about keeping some just plain/lightly tainted, and maybe doing a bait solution with the rest. I have not made my own canine bait before. [Linked Image]

Re: Ground Hog Liver+Kidney [Re: washxc] #8071554
02/08/24 12:42 AM
02/08/24 12:42 AM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
This should be a fun project for you. I have not used the same ingredients that you are working with.
I have heard of some people liking Liver that has been aged for a long time? before preserving.
Liver can be tricky to work with I hear? It can get watery. Good Luck!

Re: Ground Hog Liver+Kidney [Re: washxc] #8072903
02/09/24 04:38 PM
02/09/24 04:38 PM
NW PA
W
washxc Offline OP
trapper
washxc  Offline OP
trapper
W

NW PA
Thanks Mark. I'm having fun. I added 1 1/3 cups of SB with a little warm water about 10 days ago and have been stirring it everyday. I feel like it's stabilized. It has a good smell and a good consistency, not too watery. But you're right, I'm afraid if I add bait solution like I had planned then it will be runny. Perhaps I'll just do a few test batches and add a little skunk or castor and see what happens!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91