No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vmax Users [Re: Chancey] #8084183
02/23/24 07:45 AM
02/23/24 07:45 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by Chancey
When ballistic tips first came out, they were a varmint bullet. Fast accurate and explode on contact.
They make the Vmaxs way way better now and IMO kill way better than when they first came out. Nearly all my .243 Vmaxs go all the way through on mature deer when shot behind the shoulder. Leave an awesome bloodtrail and all are within 30 yards. That' shooting them head on, broadside, quartered to/away, etc.

Might work well on Texas deer, I don't think they get over 200 lb do they?

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Vmax Users [Re: Wolfdog91] #8084194
02/23/24 08:14 AM
02/23/24 08:14 AM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Yes. They don't often get much over 200lbs down here; at least that I have seen. I have seen a handful go 220-230 lb, but its not very common.

.243 Vmaxs have performed well for me on deer, but nothing replaces a good rest and a well placed shot. Most the deer I shoot are less than 250 yards away and I always try to hit them in the heart.

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Vmax Users [Re: Wolfdog91] #8084224
02/23/24 08:40 AM
02/23/24 08:40 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Wolfie I ran some 53 gr Vmax this year thru a .223. They do fine on coyotes. I think I had some odd angles I don’t recall. Non went thru that I saw.

I also ran some 95gr sst thru a .243. On a deer hit broadside it broke a rib going in, going out, and stayed inside the offside skin. Took out the lungs. There are other bullets out there that would have cleared thru and left a better blood trail had one been needed. This bullet left a dinner plate size of damage to the chest area on the entry side.
I’ll add that I will no longer buy Hornady. Of the case of 53gr I bought, out of three opened boxes I’ve had 7 misfires. The primers are set too deep. Payed too much for those for such poor quality control.

Getting back to your question my favorite coyote round out of my .243s is the federal 55gr ballistic tip. It flat puts them down coming in from any direction. And it’s fast. I’ve taken antelope and deer with that round/bullet and it gets it done tho it’s not my first choice for that caliber going after bigger game than coyotes or maybe lions.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread