General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Hanson Bait [Re: k9.] #810232
07/30/08 11:33 AM
07/30/08 11:33 AM
Northwest Missouri
I
iowaminker Offline
trapper
iowaminker  Offline
trapper
I

Northwest Missouri
Yep, should be there either Wednesday night or Thursday morning k9.
Great deal on the new dew ... LOL.
Look forward to seeing you there.

Re: Hanson Bait [Re: iowaminker] #811120
07/30/08 08:18 PM
07/30/08 08:18 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
Well the additives have been covered fairly well in this post what's your favorite fish

Re: Hanson Bait [Re: Bigfoot] #811127
07/30/08 08:21 PM
07/30/08 08:21 PM

N
Nick C
Unregistered
Nick C
Unregistered
N

Hey IAMinker, you bringing the Plat Book?

Re: Hanson Bait [Re: ] #811445
07/30/08 11:33 PM
07/30/08 11:33 PM
Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
K
k9. Offline
trapper
k9.  Offline
trapper
K

I have had good luck using canine lures on coon. If you have a few of those bottles laying around that the labels fell off of give it a shot, and you will be impressed. Coyote gland lure seems to be very attractive to coon especially late season.

See ya there Iaminker!I should be there Thurs through Sat

Re: Hanson Bait [Re: ] #811485
07/31/08 12:08 AM
07/31/08 12:08 AM
Northwest Missouri
I
iowaminker Offline
trapper
iowaminker  Offline
trapper
I

Northwest Missouri
Nick ... err, uh.... that might have changed. You might have some MO competition in that area, and they might need those maps and books.

Bruce, forgot earlier ... don't you know you can't tell w/out the county letting you know ... on the difference between a crick and a ditch?. LOL. Also, sadly I didn't have much of a choice w/ my hair dew ... was either this or the 'ole comb-er-over, which come to think of it, might be a good look for you?

Re: Hanson Bait [Re: iowaminker] #811491
07/31/08 12:11 AM
07/31/08 12:11 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Back in my canine trapping days, I had a lot of big ridge-runner dryland coons plugging up my canine sets when I used Red Fox gland lure. They can't seem to pass it up.

Re: Hanson Bait [Re: Paul Dobbins] #811672
07/31/08 09:05 AM
07/31/08 09:05 AM
K
k9. Offline
trapper
k9.  Offline
trapper
K

You mean I had a comb over option??????

Dang! I am always missing out on the good things in life!

Re: Hanson Bait [Re: Heimbrock] #813564
08/01/08 10:28 AM
08/01/08 10:28 AM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
 Originally Posted By: Heimbrock
One of the things I found interesting about Charlie Dobbins, in fact it changed the way I related to, or treated, other trappers was his willingness to share information. It didn’t matter what the subject was, as long you didn’t try to BS him he was straight up with you.

The only thing I never heard him tell was his lure formulas but he would discuss different ingredients and several times ingredients worked [their] way into conversations regarding other matters. Much to my regret in these later years I didn’t go there, back then I just wasn’t interested in ‘that’.

The willingness to share information on a forum hosted by his son is one of the best tributes that we can give a man that supported and promoted trapping in so many ways.

Ace Lenon has shown he shares Charlie’s philosophy with his many posts no few of which concerned different ingredients and their attractiveness to different animals.

Scott Huber used to do the same, one of which comes to mind was minty smells for babcat.

I have seen Mr. Pedersen comment with regard to different ingredients and preparation methods.

Way back in the beginning of the forum, before his free time was vacuumed up, Paul Dobbins commented on different ingredients and posted some formulas.

These gentlemen did not allude to some ingredients that were superior, or inferior, they named them.

If one wants to make a point regarding the efficacy of certain ingredients they should have the confidence to name them and let the legions of trappers that read those boards put them to the test.

If you’re gonna talk the talk walk the walk.

For example, as simple as it may seem, beaver castor is deadly on raccoons (and bobcats).

Beaver castor beaver castor beaver castor beaver castor

Fish. Oily Fish. Use a big chunk, gob or smear, the size of your fist. I learned this from Bud Hall – a big bait makes a big smell. You are wasting gas if you are putting a little bit of plain fish down.

Fish with beaver castor mixed such that one time you smell it - you smell the fish kinda sweet, the next time you smell it - you smell the castor kinda fishy.

Peru Balsam is a good fixative and cranks a raccoons tail.

I got some stuff in Chem lab, benzaldahyde, that seemed to really pull them in but the scent didn’t last.

Muskrat glands – really what needs to be said? At $8 coons too expensive, at $40 coons ???
Muskrat glands or castor I have found to be a year round attractant to raccoons though there are a couple others I think are more effective during breeding season.

Mike Marsyada’s coyote gland lure is death on raccoons during breeding season.

Jim Helfrich had a bobcat gland lure that a raccoon would work to get at during breeding season.

Nick Wyshinski had this urine/gland mixture that was very effective during breeding season.

Shellfish oil. I found that shellfish oil that was diluted was extremely effective. But again back in the beginning of time the smell of uncut shellfish didn’t last that long if it was stored in a plastic bottle.

Carboxlic Acid – the stuff bee keepers used to use, after I was told about this I got some from a beekeeper that wasn’t keeping anymore.

Phenylacetic Acid I believe it is ‘related’ to Cabroxlic Acid.

Civet – this stuff is death on coons and canines.

Valerian Oil - all yeah baby, this is good stuff

I mentioned the above lure makers only because those are the ones with which I had experience and it is not meant to be a reflection of any sort on those not mentioned.

Great post right there, maybe the best on I have ever seen on T-mann.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91