Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8108363
03/26/24 04:24 PM
03/26/24 04:24 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Looks like really nice country ! You were fortunate on the weather also !

I can smell that wolf kill from here !

Mean As Nails
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8108430
03/26/24 06:10 PM
03/26/24 06:10 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
grin That wuff kill was so fresh, there really wasn't any bad smell. They hadn't even returned to finish off the legs, that I could see. Tracks were all around JR's traps too. He would have had one in each set had the weather cooperated.

A nice part of the last day, we stopped and I waited on my metal steed, and watched JR climb up the slick ice slope of Kill Ridge , to close up snares. That creek was solid ice, in mid stillness, flowing down that gully. JR climbed it like a pro. Partway up he took a shot of myself and his rig.
I was happy to wait. On the way back, he took a surfer stance and glided partway down that ice flow.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I think I enjoyed driving on overflow as much as groomed snow . Losing myself in focus of the lighting , colours of the sediment mixing with ice , the sounds. What a shame to continue to be frightened unduly of such a beautiful phenomenon , needlessly. I'm not saying I would be this way with anyone. If they aren't as JR in knowledge and experience, I wouldn't even go with them. Regardless, I had a bit of fun telling him that there are a number of my clients and editors watching over his shoulder, that their artist is well taken care of, not allowing anything to happen to her ...

The last morning, I was inspired to sketch what I had been enjoying out the cabin window. JR found some paper and I went to work. I had no idea he took any shots of me working. I did feel his energy force behind me , but never heard a camera . It was a peaceful morning with plenty of coffee. I only intended this to be a sketch of appreciation. I am thankful JR liked it so much.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Every turn , every high valley, every high bluff was brilliant .
On the way out, we came across a caribou antler. As if dropped right there for us to find.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If I recall correctly, this shot was one JR took, saying that he always looks for a different habitat or place to add to his photo collection.
[Linked Image]

Speaking of, Nate (smalltimetrapper), I sure appreciated you taking the time to travel on my last morning there. I truly enjoyed meeting you. A kind, soft spoken man you are. I wished there was more time to visit longer.

I enjoyed so much meeting everyone. A few approached me at the banquet. They had met me years ago at NTA in the eastern states. Amazing to see them again.

Thank you, JR. I wouldn't change a thing about my trip. My main concern was trying to keep up with you , making your time helping you as smooth as possible. As well as feeling I could be a kid in exuberance expressed. After all , this was my vacation too. I am serious enough day to day. It felt good to allow myself to express some happiness and fun.

My mother, years ago, was a professor of biology , at the University in Fairbanks . She moved there from FLA back in the late 60's. My only wish was that she took me with her . Not that I didn't have the time of my life with my father, I sure did. But I also would have, with her help, been able to sink my roots into this place, with the future of my whole life unfolding totally different . And wonderfully. Despite the insane cost of living the past four years, I suppose there is a way , someday, to set my sail to the north star. Montana and Alaska will always make up the beat of my heart.

Thank you all, for viewing.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8108436
03/26/24 06:17 PM
03/26/24 06:17 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
These shots were JR's the day he dropped me at airport and hauled freight . I was able to help him load some of that freight . He accomplished a lot in one day.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8108509
03/26/24 07:27 PM
03/26/24 07:27 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Great pics Sharon thanks for Sharin.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8108902
03/27/24 10:34 AM
03/27/24 10:34 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanks for coming to visit us; glad you had a good time. Tucker enjoyed meeting you!

NEXT TIME we will definitely hit the UAF Museum!

Pete

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8109033
03/27/24 01:45 PM
03/27/24 01:45 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Is that all luggage? How long were you up here ?

[Linked Image]

Mean As Nails
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8109055
03/27/24 02:37 PM
03/27/24 02:37 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Boco, glad you liked my story.

Pete, you were so kind to offer to take me to the U . If time permitted, I would have taken you up on that . There was so much I wanted to do there, in such a short amount of time. JR told me of a museum in the U itself that he would like to have me see. I was hoping to meet the directors there , and ask if there are any photos of my mother in the archives . It wasn't real important, just something I had hoped to be able to do in person. I could call them, but going there was much more in line with what I wanted . If I can get up there again, which I would love to, that accomplishment will definitely be on my list . And to enjoy a visit with Tucker and his owners again , hopefully.

Part of that sled load was luggage , Sir Ken ....you see, I had hoped there was a tropical beach to get more of a tan than I already have , and I needed lots of space for all that coconut Coppertone cream oil . My swim suits didn't take up hardly any room at all .... smile

Actually, part of that was storage . JRs box and rack , just behind me, was perfect for stowing things. The big cooler was for food , or anything else that needed room. He is quite organized , and has a place for gear, equipment , clothes food, anything needed .

I always like seeing how folks gear up , hitch and tow, whether hauling horses or anything else. What I really enjoyed was observing up close how he loaded everything on his flatbed trailer to haul out to the trail head . So much of what made it all safe and convenient, was welded and customized by JR himself. That was so good to see that custom tailoring.

I can't recall the number of days at the cabin I spent there, but it was several . Not enough, even so, to me. I knew as soon as I became used to the routine and working with things there, it would be time for me to go back.

I'm still entirely impressed with JR's equipment. That snow machine never glitched once. And he sure put it through stress and speed. I know if life is to be enjoyed, you cannot skimp on the best tools and machinery . You need the best. And JR has it.

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8109065
03/27/24 02:53 PM
03/27/24 02:53 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Oh man I completely spaced out the Coppertone ! That explains it !

Mean As Nails
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8109074
03/27/24 03:14 PM
03/27/24 03:14 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
grin The thing I learned about packing those containers, was if there are any fragile items , they need to be cushioned in a fully packed container, not partially. There are a lot of bumps on the trail to the cabin.

I had baked pecan pies , one was consumed immediately at the house, the other , packed for enjoyment at the cabin. It took a little abuse in jarring , but of course was still as good to eat. It just wasn't picture-perfect as when fresh baked.

[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8109103
03/27/24 04:03 PM
03/27/24 04:03 PM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
That to me looks like a trip of a lifetime. Well done Ms. Sharon.

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: CTRAPS] #8109463
03/27/24 10:40 PM
03/27/24 10:40 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by CTRAPS
That to me looks like a trip of a lifetime. Well done Ms. Sharon.

Bestowing kindness to others, having them as happy with me, as I was with them, made my trip as much a success as enjoying the land . Thank you, CTraps.

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8110121
03/28/24 07:48 PM
03/28/24 07:48 PM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Looks like a good time. Too bad the traps were frozen, it would have been a nice bonus to be up close and personal with a couple big dogs!

It was nice to meet you, hope your travels can bring you up again sometime.

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8110431
03/29/24 11:05 AM
03/29/24 11:05 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Nate, I too, was hoping JR would have several wuffs waiting . All in varied colours. Like crayons . The tracks around every set showed clearly how he would have had them if the weather hadn't messed with them so much.

JR told me several times , that my camera, a Go Pro , wasn't good enough in clear, zoomed in shots. Not compared to his iPhone. He was right. Mine was really for videos, which it did a decent job during this trip. It still was a pain, taking time to power on, switch from video to camera mode, and time to power off. With JR waiting impatiently. When he took shots, the time it took for him to take it from his coat, turn on, take pics, to finish was maybe two minutes. If that.

On the way back to my cabin, I made up my mind, and stopped at a tech store and bought a new iPhone 14. The second to newest version of their latest one. I have not owned a cell phone in some years, service is very spotty here in the mountains. I will not waste my money on something that I cannot use often. In this case, my aim was to invest in a good pixel camera that is fast and easy, like JR has. It doesn't need to have cell service. But, I can look into activating that service for a trip , too. That option will be there. So my task has been learning about this little computer , that will come in handy and easy to use. Everyone I saw in AK had them. Everyone on flights had them. Except me. Not anymore...

I will keep in focus , my next trip to travel there . In some way . With my new iPhone camera. If I am with JR again, he will not need to wait for me to take all the still shots and video I want.

Other than the camera, I feel I was well-prepared with everything I needed to be comfortable and equipped to go anywhere , at any temperature. I was never once uncomfortable traveling on walkabout , due to below 0 temps. I actually became overheated on the coldest day , not needing my coat at all . Montana winters can make tough people, too ...

wink

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8111404
03/30/24 06:03 PM
03/30/24 06:03 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
What great memories and a wonderful trip! Congrats for the fun time , photo's and sharing them with all of us!! And that pecan pie may not be picture perfect, but still sumptuous looking!

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 03/30/24 06:06 PM.
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8111770
03/31/24 09:11 AM
03/31/24 09:11 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thanks, W.W., the pie was still enjoyed, regardless of the trip .

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8118241
04/09/24 11:42 AM
04/09/24 11:42 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Awesome!

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: west river rogue] #8118613
04/09/24 10:45 PM
04/09/24 10:45 PM
Otsego, MI 66
K
K-zoo Offline
trapper
K-zoo  Offline
trapper
K

Otsego, MI 66
Thanks for taking us along on your excursion Sharon. A fine time indeed.

Member NTA, MTPCA, FTA, NRA, MUCC
2 Cor. 5:17
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8119149
04/10/24 08:15 PM
04/10/24 08:15 PM
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the memories!!! Love these amazing photos and your heartfelt words!!

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8119666
04/11/24 04:36 PM
04/11/24 04:36 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Steve, it was awesome, and fun. Had serious moments too, but that is all in the experience.

Kzoo, thanks.

Smasho, I've been studying an interactive map of AK , the routes , the mountains, the towns.

With my new iPhone camera now, any photos and videos I take again, will be perfect. In some way, I want to plan another trip. Visiting again, or for the first time, people on the forum here will be a highlight for me. As it was on this last trip. I am not even sure where I want to go , next time. As long as I am in the mountains. Of course, enjoying the same ranges again would be wonderful , too.

Right now, I've just been searching the routes from north to south , trying to figure, in the scale of miles, how much country I can see and enjoy on my next trip there.

Maybe I could rent someone's truck to enjoy a bit of mountain scenes ...but this all is just thinking out loud for now

wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman