No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8117678
04/08/24 06:52 PM
04/08/24 06:52 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I have seen a couple nice bucks with the thermal even during season and the thought has never even crossed my mind. I’d rather sling an arrow through a buck any day of the week.

AR’s are fine for hunting, but add a thermal and suppressor and that weight gets on up there. If I could find a base .308 starting out about 6# or so I might. But that DPMS I have weighs in about 12# or more with a full mag and decked out with everything. And the way our land is set up I may have a 400yd walk or more to get to the pigs based on not being seen and the wind. That plus a tripod just gets a little much, especially during our hot humid nights of Summer.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Wanna Be] #8117683
04/08/24 06:58 PM
04/08/24 06:58 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I have seen a couple nice bucks with the thermal even during season and the thought has never even crossed my mind. I’d rather sling an arrow through a buck any day of the week.

AR’s are fine for hunting, but add a thermal and suppressor and that weight gets on up there. If I could find a base .308 starting out about 6# or so I might. But that DPMS I have weighs in about 12# or more with a full mag and decked out with everything. And the way our land is set up I may have a 400yd walk or more to get to the pigs based on not being seen and the wind. That plus a tripod just gets a little much, especially during our hot humid nights of Summer.

I'm considering weight on my AR, too. Thinking about a new 5.56 upper and going ahead and starting the suppressor process. But, the weight and I've already seen I must have a rest of some sort to shoot standing. So, all that is gonna be cumbersome.

In the near future, most of hog killing will be from baited stands or blinds at night.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8117734
04/08/24 07:52 PM
04/08/24 07:52 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm still stuck on the $15/round to kill a corn buzzard.

They are like squirrels around here. People are hitting them on the roads.

Could probably use a stick.

Georgia gobblers nothing like what you're describing. Our birds are actaully wild turkeys...not domestic corn buzzards.

TSS turkey loads have many advantages...extended range, denser patterns, shot remaining in bird is rare.

Ours are wild (trapped in Missouri and relocated here in 1971)

They are all corn buzzards. I see them on my dead piles, even. I've eaten a few. Won't do that again. They aint no butterball.

Even the USDA is killing them now (as a nuisance critter).

The Farmers here see them on the same plain is the pigs...but of course the pigs are a lot worse (unless you don't get your corn out before winter) then the results the same.

Most wish they could get rid of them but of course the state touts them as a great game bird. Most of us know better. Follow the money.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8117760
04/08/24 08:07 PM
04/08/24 08:07 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Different parts of the Country = different attitudes.

Part of the problem is you live in "metro" MN.

I live and hunt in the woods.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8117961
04/08/24 11:45 PM
04/08/24 11:45 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
They are good eating, if you know how to cook them. I take the breasts and chunk them into "nuggets" batter and deep fry. The legs don't taste bad, but they are like chewing gum unless you want to boil them for a day or two. So all I do is cut the beard off, slit the hide up the middle of the breast, pull it back and slice the meat off the breast. Then grab them by the feet and wing the rest of the bird over the hill.

Problem is that a turkey tag costs the same as a deer tag, and there is a heck of a lot less meat on one. I get one turkey with my Sportsmans Package or I would never buy one, the price is ridiculous for what you get out of them. And I certainly wouldn't be spending no $15 a round on them. I do like shooting 3 1/2s and I've shot quite a few over 60 yards with them, so what is the advantage of these high priced rounds? Would prefer to use a rifle over a shotgun.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8117969
04/08/24 11:57 PM
04/08/24 11:57 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
There’s a difference in hunting turkeys and shooting turkeys. And I dang sure ain’t doing it for the meat, lol. Don’t get me wrong, the meat is great, but factor in licenses for multiple states, tags, airline tickets, gas money, and all associated equipment and it boils down to about $50 for every bite of those birds. I tell my wife this is the most expensive meal you’ve ever eaten, lol.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: bearcat2] #8118090
04/09/24 07:50 AM
04/09/24 07:50 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by bearcat2

Problem is that a turkey tag costs the same as a deer tag, and there is a heck of a lot less meat on one. I get one turkey with my Sportsmans Package or I would never buy one, the price is ridiculous for what you get out of them. And I certainly wouldn't be spending no $15 a round on them. I do like shooting 3 1/2s and I've shot quite a few over 60 yards with them, so what is the advantage of these high priced rounds? Would prefer to use a rifle over a shotgun.

You didn't even mention the enjoyment of hunting them, hearing them gobble, calling them in. What is that worth?

Maybe you should just buy one in a grocery store and save your money and those 3 5" loads.

Is it all about $$ to you?

I'm glad I don't have your attitude about hunting and out wildlife. Very sad.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118100
04/09/24 08:17 AM
04/09/24 08:17 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I 2nd bear cat on cost of tags. That's why I don't hunt them myself, I do take the boys. Youth license is included and cheaper though have gone up in price. My small game and fishing combo was $32 yesterday it used to be 24. Deer tags used to be 12 but I think they are above 24 now don't know have not bought any since they went to 24.

Yes I can afford it but think it's to high. It's also why I don't hunt in IL or KY for deer out of state rage for a deer at to high so I don't go. So fare no license needed to hunt mushrooms but I expect that will be coming soon.

I did buy the boys some tss shot and chokes to try out for turkey. Now I have never seen patterns so tight and dense in my life 8 to 10 in patterns at 40 yards. But I didn't want the kids shooting patterns that would be 2 in at 20 yards and miss with the excitement so we went with the old standard 3-in number fives good thing because they shot their turkeys 13 and 15 yd.

I like being out and will drop way more cash when it's a trip for the boys and gear for them to hunt. But when it come for me to hunt I'm not going to be dropping much cash. I will be in work cloths boots and with whatever old bear up gun bow or x bow I have had fore a few decades. Kill plenty when I decide to pack a gun or bow. I just rather take kids. I don't really need to do the trigger pulling anymore. Probably why I don't mind spending money for and on the kids hunt but won't do so for me to hunt.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118144
04/09/24 09:08 AM
04/09/24 09:08 AM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
If there aint spring gobblers in heaven im not sure i want to go..

Ol dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118164
04/09/24 09:37 AM
04/09/24 09:37 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Does this price come with a range finder? How do you get accurate distance after dark if it doesn't?

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118165
04/09/24 09:38 AM
04/09/24 09:38 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
For my PNW trips I’ll spend right at $600 in license and tags. But, that’s for 3 states…Washington, Idaho, and Montana.
That doesn’t include gas while hunting there…cheaper in Idaho.
And it doesn’t include airfare or food.

I hunt turkeys for the challenge and enjoyment of it. Seeing different States and wildlife are a huge bonus. Different species sound different and react different. They’re all turkeys, but each species has its own personality. It comes down to be able to adapt to the different types terrain features.

I realize some places have turkeys that act like pets. Unfortunately I have never hunted anywhere with turkeys like that, lol. I’ve been successful in the first day or two, and I’ve finally filled my tag on the last day there. It’s a personal sense of accomplishment to “scout” areas on a map from almost 2000 miles away and then show up and be successful. I’m always full of anticipation on the flight out and generally sleep the entire flight back due to exhaustion. A flatlander heading to elevation is rough! By the same token, a person coming from a low humidity elevated area down to the swamps or open pines with 60-70% humidity is rough for them. It’s being able to adapt to your environment that helps with success.

I don’t hunt them because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. Something happens during the Spring that compels me to get out and chase those birds. It’s almost primitive in nature. I gave up decoys and fans many years ago. Now it’s all calling and woodsmanship. It’s anticipating what that birds next move is. The very art of turkey hunting goes against nature. I’m trying to reverse nature and make that bird come to me vs what a real hen would do. His gobbles and drumming brings the hens to him…I have to convince him to come to me. It’s that challenge that keeps me up at night and rising well before dawn to pursue that gobble.

Every hunt is like a game. I equate it to baseball. Sometimes I never get in the stadium. Sometimes I’m actually in the game. I don’t always score or win, but I never lose. I learn…

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118182
04/09/24 09:56 AM
04/09/24 09:56 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by bearcat2

You didn't even mention the enjoyment of hunting them, hearing them gobble, calling them in. What is that worth?

Maybe you should just buy one in a grocery store and save your money and those 3 5" loads.

Is it all about $$ to you?

I'm glad I don't have your attitude about hunting and out wildlife. Very sad.

I very seldom call them in, I find it much more enjoyable to run them down and shoot them than to sit on my butt and have them come to me. I know a lot of people, especially back east, really get into hunting them. That's fine, different people like different types of hunting, I really like hound hunting, which a lot of people don't. But to me turkey (and deer and elk) hunting is a mildly enjoyable way to put meat in the freezer. And I think the price of tags is ridiculous, I'm sitting here watching about 50 out my window while I type this. We can get several tags here, turkeys are certainly not rare, in places you can shoot half a dozen of them. So other than being a tremendous money maker for Fish and Game, why the ridiculous high prices on tags, for what you get out of them?

That was an honest question on the TSS loads though, what advantage are they over a 12 gauge 3.5"? Fartherest I've shot one with a 12 gauge was a pace over 70 yards, and I've never hit one (I've missed one or two at close range, with a XX full choke it is like shooting a rifle at under 20 yards) that didn't kill it with one shot.

Last edited by bearcat2; 04/09/24 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: OhioBoy] #8118194
04/09/24 10:25 AM
04/09/24 10:25 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
Does this price come with a range finder? How do you get accurate distance after dark if it doesn't?

No rangefinder on my scope. Rifle is sighted in to group about an inch high at 100 yds. Out to about 200 yds is about as far as I'm gonna shoot anything. Hold dead on and squeeze....no complications.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118206
04/09/24 10:40 AM
04/09/24 10:40 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Bearcat2,
The advantage to using TSS is mostly the denser loads and extended range.

Extended range is usually not needed, but when it is it can make the hunt.

TSS allows smaller/lighter gauge guns to be used.

Better than a 3.5 lead turkey load? Probably not, but my 3" 12 ga with TSS will likely pattern better than most 3.5" 12s with lead loads. Is it really needed? No....but I don't own a 3.5" gun. Furthest I've killed one with TSS is 38 steps (last weekend).

I've killed 2 or 3 in excess of 40 yds with 3" Longbeard XR 5s.

I've killed 5 gobblers with TSS loads in past 3 seasons. I've yet to find a pellet in the meat...clean pass thru.

I can't argue anymore about hunting gobblers that are near tame compared to our truly wild birds. When wildlife becomes a nuisance in someone's eyes they lose value. Folks hate deer, folks hate turkeys, folks hate anything they're not interested in and de-value it. Really sad.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: ol' dad] #8118209
04/09/24 10:45 AM
04/09/24 10:45 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by ol' dad
If there aint spring gobblers in heaven im not sure i want to go..

Ol dad

Sounds like we all need to go to Idaho!!!!!

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118234
04/09/24 11:24 AM
04/09/24 11:24 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Idaho birds weren’t exactly easy for me, lol. Bought a 3 day license and finally made it happen on the 3rd afternoon!

TSS actually allows a smaller gauge being equal to a larger gauge. I’ll put my patterns out of my Youth 20ga against any 12ga out there.

As far as distances, yes I’ve really misjudged on range, especially on the prairies of the Midwest. But, it was a dead bird! I won’t shoot past 40 for the most part. I prefer them between 25-35yds. Anything closer and I better not shake, lol. I’ve had to let birds walk off to give me a little distance.

I’m up in the air about a scope with an LRF. I could see where it would be nice for coyotes if you’re in big country. Down here 200yds is considered a LONG shot where I hunt without being elevated. I also know most distances on the properties I hunt. If I don’t, I can use the compass feature on OnX to get distances before hitting the call.

All (most) of my pigs are shot at a bait site with a cell camera letting me know pigs are there. Most pigs can be stalked to the point of too close. In fact I was walking to one of my sites and the pigs had moved and luckily I heard them and when I got the gun up they were within 25yds and closing. When pigs brush your legs when they scatter, you got way too close, lol! At night, that really gets the ticker ticking!

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118239
04/09/24 11:34 AM
04/09/24 11:34 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia

The advantage to using TSS is mostly the denser loads and I can't argue anymore about hunting gobblers that are near tame compared to our truly wild birds. When wildlife becomes a nuisance in someone's eyes they lose value. Folks hate deer, folks hate turkeys, folks hate anything they're not interested in and de-value it. Really sad.

100% correct. I remember when hunting Kansas the farmers talking about how much they hate turkeys and they’d spread corn down the roads during the winter and wait until a flock was feeding and run them down in the roads.
Today Kansas now has a draw for nonresidents and only one bird.
They lost their value and locals decimated the population and now it’s not worth it unless you’re just wanting to cross that State off the list. Quite a few States have reduced their limits and availability to nonresidents.

So if you have a high population, consider yourself lucky. And if you dislike nonresidents, y’all got your wish. A lot of money has been lost from those that like to travel.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118240
04/09/24 11:38 AM
04/09/24 11:38 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN

This is true to a degree, but I've spent most of my life in the woods (and trapped in several states, some near you) My hunting land (not in the metro) is bordered by miles of woods. Farmers here hate them far far worse than the citiots do. Well, until they start chasing their kids around. Then like always, they have a change of heart. Same with beaver when they do what they do.

But as always, To each his own.

Last edited by Calvin; 04/09/24 11:40 AM.
Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118245
04/09/24 11:52 AM
04/09/24 11:52 AM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
In my opinion, TSS is to make 20 and .410 realistic turkey guns. 12 ga hunters dont need it - plenty of non TSS make a 12 ga a 50 yd gun. If you are shooting turkeys over 50 yards, you are hunting them for the wrong reason.

Re: Thermal Scopes Are Fantastic! [Re: Calvin] #8118246
04/09/24 11:53 AM
04/09/24 11:53 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Calvin

This is true to a degree, but I've spent most of my life in the woods (and trapped in several states, some near you) My hunting land (not in the metro) is bordered by miles of woods. Farmers here hate them far far worse than the citiots do. Well, until they start chasing their kids around. Then like always, they have a change of heart. Same with beaver when they do what they do.

But as always, To each his own.

Won't always be like that^^^

Then yall will be saying "what happened to all our turkeys."

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread