Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Help with date range on a Victor #8127327
04/23/24 05:28 PM
04/23/24 05:28 PM
California
B
BlackOaks72 Offline OP
trapper
BlackOaks72  Offline OP
trapper
B

California
Hi,
I’m new to everything trap related. Last week I stumbled upon an old trap sticking out of the leaves on our mountain property in California. It was still nailed to the base of an old tree that fell down the hill and landed in a dry stream bed. The tree fell at least 5 years ago, and I’ve walked by it many times, but never saw it. After prying the nail out of the tree, I got the chain loose and took home my new, rusty prize. I’ve spent a couple of hours researching online and I’m pretty positive that it’s a Victor Oneida #2 double long spring. It’s hard to read, but the pan says “No 2, Oneida Community” (I’m almost positive it’s a number 2, but it’s hard to make out). The trap is 14 inches long. There is also the remnants of the letter R, which I’m guessing is the end of the word “Victor.” However, when I look online, all of the other Victor trap pans have a “V” punched into them, and mine doesn’t. Is mine a pre-1911 Victor? Or do I perhaps have the brand wrong? I would love a date range if anyone is knowledgeable in that area. Also, the chain has been repaired and is made up of 3 different chains that have been wired together, which I thought was pretty cool. Thank you for any info you can give!

IMG_3088.jpegIMG_3089.jpegIMG_3090.jpegIMG_3092.jpegIMG_3087.jpeg
Last edited by BlackOaks72; 04/23/24 05:29 PM.
Re: Help with date range on a Victor [Re: BlackOaks72] #8127368
04/23/24 06:46 PM
04/23/24 06:46 PM
ne iowa
R
roztocki Offline
trapper
roztocki  Offline
trapper
R

ne iowa
They started stamping the V in 1909 and yes yours is a victor trap. The trap has one original chain link. Date is probably from 1890’s. The humped cross pan attachment was post 1900, yours is the earlier version.

Re: Help with date range on a Victor [Re: roztocki] #8127527
04/23/24 11:36 PM
04/23/24 11:36 PM
California
B
BlackOaks72 Offline OP
trapper
BlackOaks72  Offline OP
trapper
B

California
Thank you for the info roztocki! I had to look up “humped cross pan.” My son keeps setting the trap in the front yard and setting it off with sticks. Maybe he’ll be a future trapper.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector