No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Any members on here from around Sheldon Iowa? #8130676
04/29/24 09:36 PM
04/29/24 09:36 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Would like some info on the town, maybe what fishing is available in area, and what a young man fresh out of college with his accounting degree (my son) might enjoy doing with his free time around there.
Accepted a job up there and will be getting in his grad school hours online in evenings so he can sit for the CPA exam.
I googled a little about the town and seems like a decent place he can get his start on life and his career. Always like to ask the locals though too.
Thank you for your help.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Any members on here from around Sheldon Iowa? [Re: jabNE] #8130694
04/29/24 09:57 PM
04/29/24 09:57 PM
Lake Mille Lacs , MN
2poor Offline
trapper
2poor  Offline
trapper

Lake Mille Lacs , MN
I grew up there. Graduated both Highschool and Technical College from Sheldon . Much worse places to live !

I worked for a Yogi Brands who owned a Body Shop and had a couple of twins. Mean SOB for no bigger then they were. They did OK in life despite being from a small town !

Not to far to the Iowa Great Lakes. Pretty decent fishing ! Should be decent Pheasant hunting in the vicinity. Some local gravel pits hold fish.

Working for an accounting firm ?

It’s a lazy man who can’t find his wife a second job !
Re: Any members on here from around Sheldon Iowa? [Re: jabNE] #8130696
04/29/24 10:00 PM
04/29/24 10:00 PM
Iowa
M
Mitch L Offline
trapper
Mitch L  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
He less than an hour from the ole spirit lake/okoboji. Everything south/around him is trapping gold! Plus not too far from the Missouri River. Welcome!

Re: Any members on here from around Sheldon Iowa? [Re: jabNE] #8130722
04/29/24 10:43 PM
04/29/24 10:43 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Pretty much everything is gonna be 45-60 minute drive, not horrible but not close.

If hes a river rat and wants to contend with the asian carp, the big sioux is 45 min. West. Little sioux 45 to the east (cool little river imo) Storm Lake is about an hour. Great Lakes about 45.

Some decent cats can be pulled from the big sioux, especially to the south by akron. Walleye seem harder to come by every year on the big sioux maybe the record low water has something to do with it. Back up now though. I think its the asian carp affecting things though.

Decent coon trapping, coyotes should be thick. Pheasants seem to be a little more prevalent on the other side of obrien county, into clay and buena vista, simply because the area around sheldon is expensive farm country and theres less habitat all the time. Deer and turkey he’ll definitely need to head to the east side of the county. Look up the Waterman Complex for starters on the east side of obrien, giant (for the area) pieces of public that gets hammered but its in an amazing area and I would imagine anyone has a chance at good deer there. Always saw turkeys strutting through that area. Lot of private pieces near there that are slowly getting sold off to the wealthy.

Re: Any members on here from around Sheldon Iowa? [Re: jabNE] #8130736
04/29/24 11:16 PM
04/29/24 11:16 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Like they said your best fishing would be the lakes.
I'm about ninety minutes from Sheldon, did a lot of work there

Re: Any members on here from around Sheldon Iowa? [Re: jabNE] #8130744
04/29/24 11:54 PM
04/29/24 11:54 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
2poor, yes, just got picked up.

Thank you everyone for the responses. Very much appreciated and I will pass this along.

Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Any members on here from around Sheldon Iowa? [Re: jabNE] #8130868
04/30/24 09:53 AM
04/30/24 09:53 AM
South central Minnesota.
O
Old pup Offline
trapper
Old pup  Offline
trapper
O

South central Minnesota.
A friend of mine lives near Hartley, IA. He is a retired teacher from the small college there in Sheldon.
Quite a bit of public access to hunting land. We've taken decent size whitetail and pheasant from that area. Some fishing isn't too bad.
Nearest big city is Sioux Falls.

ergo, bibamus.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread