No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Life Insurance [Re: cbat] #8131945
05/02/24 07:47 AM
05/02/24 07:47 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Midland
Texas life

Re: Life Insurance [Re: cbat] #8131962
05/02/24 08:15 AM
05/02/24 08:15 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
i have like " Something" through NRA Life
term. not much

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Life Insurance [Re: cbat] #8132007
05/02/24 08:57 AM
05/02/24 08:57 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
We have had Thrivent for a long time. Always wanted to be sure my wife and children were set if something happened. Now debt-free, we carry a small policy for incidentals. Also, want the wife to be able to afford my replacement. He should be happy with what I left him. grin

Re: Life Insurance [Re: cbat] #8132024
05/02/24 09:09 AM
05/02/24 09:09 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
I stated a whole life policy in '67 when I went into service. I pay $236.68 a year. It is now well worth it to pay that and get 20 times the value back in benefits. I wish I started it at a higher amount but I have a good safety net of cash available built up now for some kind of emergency......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Life Insurance [Re: cbat] #8132109
05/02/24 11:47 AM
05/02/24 11:47 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Alot depends upon one situation.

Whole life costs more but its for the rest of your life,

It builds value every year, can be cashed out and if you want the dividends can pay the premiums after a while.

As Charles said its very useful for business planning (my situation).

Used in a business environment the business pays for it in pre-tax dollars so the price is much less effectively.

It also can be used to take value out of a business without tax penalties.

I'm very glad I have several policies, all are building value while the dividends pay for the premiums. It gives me piece of mind that when I die my wife and children will not have to worry about money and its all tax free or if I need a large chunk of money I can cash them in at any time..

Re: Life Insurance [Re: jk] #8132156
05/02/24 01:51 PM
05/02/24 01:51 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by jk
I stated a whole life policy in '67 when I went into service. I pay $236.68 a year. It is now well worth it to pay that and get 20 times the value back in benefits. I wish I started it at a higher amount but I have a good safety net of cash available built up now for some kind of emergency......jk

This reminds me of a similar situation.
When i was about 5 years old my parents bought a whole life policy on me with a face value of 10,000. Of course the premiums were extremely low by today's standards.

When I went into the army the company sent a letter cancelling my policy. From a strictly cynical business point of view I could understand that decision on their part.
But then, in 1969 when I got out of the army the same agent called and wanted to reinstate my policy.........as long as I made up the back payments ..........that were not made after they cancelled..............and at a higher rate of course.

I rather impolitely declined.

Mean As Nails
Re: Life Insurance [Re: cbat] #8132162
05/02/24 02:11 PM
05/02/24 02:11 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have had several whole life policies since my early 20's. I followed my parents example. Now in my mid 70's.

My parents passed on years ago and Northwestern Mutual paid benefits on all their policies plus accrued interest. It has been a great company for them and for my family.

In my early years with them I borrowed against my cash value to buy a couple trucks over the years since their interest rates were much better then any local banks could offer. I saved interest $$ and paid back my life insurance value in the process.

I could cash out now if I wished but there is need too. The death benefit is growing quickly now, every year it grows in the thousands due to the paid up policies value and age of the policies.

Term insurance is like renting a house or apartment all the time. Once you stop paying for it you have no death benefit or cash value to use. Term insurance premiums increase as does your age in most cases.

If you don't keep your premiums paid up with most term plans you can't get it after a certain age when you may need it the most.

Re: Life Insurance [Re: cbat] #8132400
05/02/24 08:45 PM
05/02/24 08:45 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I have two variable policies and both are on disability waiver, so the premiums are being deposited by the insurance company. I just got an anniversary statement for one of them. The death benefit grew by $100,000 and the cash value by about $75,000 in the last year. My internal rate of return for the last 12 months was 32%, tax free. The death benefit of both policies is now 2.5 times the face amount of the original policy death benefit. Over the life of the policies the rate of return has been just under 10%. There were several negative years when the stock market went down. I haven’t paid a premium since 2002. I can borrow my funds at a net 1.5% interest fee if needed, and I did once.

My wife has a policy that we executed a 1031 exchange from three older policies into one much larger policy, and she pays no premium with a guarantee against lapse.

The security these policies provide to us allow us allow us to do many things we would not do if we had to “save for an unexpected hardship, or death of a spouse”. We also took single life employee pension options since our life insurance provides financial security for the survivor. The single life option pays each of us a much greater amount than a joint and survivor option.

Get your insurance when you are young and in good health. Term is a great option but I suggest you always select a term product with a guaranteed conversion option.

I suggest you pick a large insurance company with great ratings. A mutual company is a good option as well. When a mutual company goes public, policy holders are given free shares of stock in the restructured company.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread