No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Night hunting thingy #8134189
05/05/24 07:33 PM
05/05/24 07:33 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Something I remembered seeing last time I hopped on Facebook a month or two ago. Dont et on much anymore since they banned my main phone and I gotta use one of my crappy lil burners that's a pain .. Anyhow something I saw making the rounds in a few of the predator hunting groups was people getting these little thermal scanner cameras that would hook to your phone. Deal was a lot of folks prefer the better target recognition of NV under a IR but still like the better scanning capabilities of thermal. And look if you love thermal for you main that's great I'm just relaying the, info some people don't for whatever reasons...deal is thermal scanners are $$$. Anyhow what people where doing was getting these lil thermal cameras that plugged in your phone ( dont. Remember the brand but think their like $300 tops and the stuff I saw front he. Wasn't horrible at all for scanning.. better then a lot of ATNs stuff) running. Them on the rifle with like some zip ties then have a cheap lil phone holder ( like what you have for a tripod if you film with you phone) attached to either the side of their gun or to the tripod to hole the phone .And basically just look at their phone screen as a thermal scanner and as soon as they pick something up look though their NV to positive ID and shoot .
One off the shore tankerman out here does a lot of night shooting and he told me about it after I saw it and he loves it for how he hunts . Though j don't think this would be perfect for alot of people, it's something interesting
Might try hopping on the ole FB and seeing if I can find some posts later .... Haven't seen it anywhere else but the forums are a bit late on most stuff .
Any how thought someone might find that neat

Re: Night hunting thingy [Re: Wolfdog91] #8134519
05/06/24 11:47 AM
05/06/24 11:47 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Sounds interesting. I don’t see a need to keep it one the gun, sorta takes away from having the gun locked in and standing back and just scanning with having to be on sticks.
I took a duck strap and attached my other scope so it hangs around my neck along with my remote to the caller. Scan…spot…adjust volume…get on scope…shoot.

Re: Night hunting thingy [Re: Wolfdog91] #8134520
05/06/24 11:48 AM
05/06/24 11:48 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
You got a link or anything or just look up iPhone thermal scanners?

Re: Night hunting thingy [Re: Wanna Be] #8134552
05/06/24 12:47 PM
05/06/24 12:47 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Sounds interesting. I don’t see a need to keep it one the gun, sorta takes away from having the gun locked in and standing back and just scanning with having to be on sticks.
I took a duck strap and attached my other scope so it hangs around my neck along with my remote to the caller. Scan…spot…adjust volume…get on scope…shoot.

More of a hands free thing . I know the guy I talked to said their so check because it's JUST the thermal sensor..no computer,extra optics and all of that.

Anyhow they way more where using it was on the tripods. And you can easily move those things around as much as you want, especially with a dect ball head on them Again with it taped or mounted to the gun your legit just moving the rifle while looking at the screen . Once you see something you are already pointing at it with the rifle so you just look though your NV and you should be there already

Re: Night hunting thingy [Re: Wanna Be] #8134555
05/06/24 12:51 PM
05/06/24 12:51 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
You got a link or anything or just look up iPhone thermal scanners?

Like I said I can't remember for the life of me what brand they where. But might have been one of these ... Though I swear remember seeing the. With a cable attached that went the full length of the gun but reckon that could just be like a coupler data cable or something
[Linked Image]

Re: Night hunting thingy [Re: Wolfdog91] #8134573
05/06/24 01:54 PM
05/06/24 01:54 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Thanks

Re: Night hunting thingy [Re: Wolfdog91] #8134689
05/06/24 05:33 PM
05/06/24 05:33 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
My brother has one on his phone to check for heat leaking from houses, I don't think the phone ones have much range unless they've been improved, a lot.

Did these guys say what useful range they get?

Re: Night hunting thingy [Re: gcs] #8134697
05/06/24 05:53 PM
05/06/24 05:53 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by gcs
My brother has one on his phone to check for heat leaking from houses, I don't think the phone ones have much range unless they've been improved, a lot.

Did these guys say what useful range they get?

One guy way picking up is dog at 300yd and the guy I talked to said he can easy get signatures at the 100-250yd he shoots

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread