No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Just own up.. [Re: Badger23] #8135044
05/07/24 08:27 AM
05/07/24 08:27 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Badger23
Swamp Wolf, I've hunted since I was a little kid I'm 52 now so that's over 40 years. It has meant a lot to me and I've shot quite a few deer over the years. I hunt alone as I have no kids. The majority of my vacation time has been taken in October and November so I can be out bowhunting. To say it hasn't meant much to me isn't correct but that's your opinion and your entitled to it. I stand by my decision I won't pay thousands of dollars for the chance to shoot a deer because financially it's not worth it. I can go on more trips with my wife instead. I'll miss it if it comes to that but it's a big reason why hunter numbers are dropping in Wisconsin.

I've got a good place to hunt and have been on that property for the 40 plus years. I give the landowner a meat and cheese tray every year and with my current job I'm able to give them some other items that they can use as well that I can get from the company store. I watch over the land and let them know if I see something out of the ordinary. I've been called the warden down there by them because I've called them about someone being there that I didn't know. They got booted. Another time some unknown jerkwad cut the chain on one of the gates so they could joyride on their UTV. I secured the gate and let them know and they got a new chain on it,

I wish the Wisconsin DNR would let hunters put a treestand up and leave it for the season on public ground like Iowa does. Put your name and contact info on it and it's legal. Instead you have to remove your treestand or ground blind everyday so few people bother. The DNR here is about as backwards as you can get. I swear they're anti hunting.

Badger123,
I have always had to pay for hunting access. It's just part of hunting for me. But, what I pay for isn't just to be able to hunt. I pay for the exclusive access and management rights to a property. I spend a lot more money because of this, ie...a tractor, harrows, spreaders, tower-type stands, etc. I bushhog access trails, plant warm season and cool season food plots annually, keep the fish fed in a one acre pond, do road maintenance year-round with my box blade, etc. The only thing I don't control on the property is the timber harvest and management, although the timber company has allowed me to do controlled burns in the past. I've had the lease on my 400 acre tract for 24 years.

Having a place to be able to do all that is very special to me. If I didn't have a property that allowed me to do this and be able to give a little something back to the game I hunt, then I'd probably lose a little of my strong interest.

I love the management aspect much more that the actual kill of a deer or gobbler. Therefore, I'm paying more for that than the kill. Just the kill isn't worth the money I pay. I can do that on public hunts.

Most folks have no desire to invest in hunting like I have over the years, therefore they can just quit when they find a reason to. I cannot do that. I don't play golf. I don't fish but 1 or 2 times a year (I don’t own a fishing boat.) I don’t have any other hobbies that take up my time, other than trapping. Hunting and wildlife management is what I do.

This 400 acre tract is 2 miles down the road from my residence, so I drive around this property everyday. It is definitely therapeutic for me.

The 866 acre tract is 1/2 mile down the road, but I have 9 members that help pay for access to that property.

The 1000 acre lease is about 90 miles north, but I have a nice little camphouse with power and water there.

If I couldn't go to the woods everyday, looking at deer tacks, turkey tracks, how the food plots are doing, seeing the rabbits and quail in the sandy roads,....I'd lose my mind....I ain't never gonna quit....if I'm breathing!

To each his own....I know where mine is.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135056
05/07/24 08:59 AM
05/07/24 08:59 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I had a hunting property that had a constant trespassing problem, and it was always the "fine country folk" that was doing it.
It was originally my Grandfather's land and he always gave access to anyone that asked, which was very few, though the poachers outnumbered them.

After he passed the property went to my mother who spent considerable money to fix up the house, that same year some of the inbreds broke in had a party and burned the place down as they left....those "fine country folk" knew who did it but no one admitted to it....

So I then posted the property and had to convince a few that there was a new sheriff in town, no tickets were issued but the word got out. There was still trespassing but not as blatant. Being an out of town landowner made the place open range. Every visit to the property was anxiety producing, you never knew what was stolen or burnt. I finally sold the place.

I'm still bitter about it, people think because they don't have land, landowners should share with them "cause it ain't right" that someone can tell them no, entitled schmucks, and most of them are your neighbors and their families...

Re: Just own up.. [Re: gcs] #8135061
05/07/24 09:14 AM
05/07/24 09:14 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by gcs
I had a hunting property that had a constant trespassing problem, and it was always the "fine country folk" that was doing it.
It was originally my Grandfather's land and he always gave access to anyone that asked, which was very few, though the poachers outnumbered them.

After he passed the property went to my mother who spent considerable money to fix up the house, that same year some of the inbreds broke in had a party and burned the place down as they left....those "fine country folk" knew who did it but no one admitted to it....

So I then posted the property and had to convince a few that there was a new sheriff in town, no tickets were issued but the word got out. There was still trespassing but not as blatant. Being an out of town landowner made the place open range. Every visit to the property was anxiety producing, you never knew what was stolen or burnt. I finally sold the place.

I'm still bitter about it, people think because they don't have land, landowners should share with them "cause it ain't right" that someone can tell them no, entitled schmucks, and most of them are your neighbors and their families...

Some people just werent born to own land. Your Gramps was.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #8135070
05/07/24 09:28 AM
05/07/24 09:28 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Sounds You'all outa get some fencing tools, then you can Manage "your" critters. I am NOT ok with trespassing, I would not waste a real LEOs time unless it was a persistent. problem,. Southern hospitality, SMH. Anyways, I got to get back to managing my cattle and chickens.

Think you missed the part where the piece of crap in question had chance to settle the matter amicably . He chose otherwise. A little humility on his part would've squashed the whole thing.

Im sorry, I didnt know you were there. The tone of voice by the caller/accuser sets the tone of the conversation. If you read the original post and didnt visualize the OP as a hothead, fine. The chance that someone goes to those extremes probably is not going to be cordial to the "trespasser-perp-lost person".
The OP was perfectly fine doing what he did, not saying otherwise, Just someone who wouldnt end up on my Christmas card list.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135075
05/07/24 09:32 AM
05/07/24 09:32 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Diggerman, Yeah, but it's ok to burn someones house down and steal anything not nailed down, so you're just full of it...

Re: Just own up.. [Re: gcs] #8135077
05/07/24 09:38 AM
05/07/24 09:38 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by gcs
Diggerman, Yeah, but it's ok to burn someones house down and steal anything not nailed down, so you're just full of it...

Wow, where did that come from?

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135080
05/07/24 09:44 AM
05/07/24 09:44 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Your not really that dumb are you?

We're done, before you drag me down to your level....

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135085
05/07/24 09:59 AM
05/07/24 09:59 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

I tried getting on his level but he is too busy guarding his cows and chickens.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: gcs] #8135086
05/07/24 10:07 AM
05/07/24 10:07 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by gcs
Your not really that dumb are you?

We're done, before you drag me down to your level....

You can not draw a parallel to your Gramps?, Who somehow was able to purchase, work and pay for the same land, got along with all those people for years and years, You get the land, develop anxieties and get the place burnt down in a few short years? You are not on my level.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8135087
05/07/24 10:09 AM
05/07/24 10:09 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Managing, SW, Managing.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135088
05/07/24 10:12 AM
05/07/24 10:12 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I grew up in a world of hundreds of thousands of acres of BLM and forest. Ranches that let me hunt and trap. The trapping on public is gone and the ranches are 10-20 acre lots with no trespassing signs on every fence post. We hunted primarily for meat not biggest antler competition. Those days are gone and aint coming back, but I still wont pay for access.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Just own up.. [Re: Diggerman] #8135099
05/07/24 10:50 AM
05/07/24 10:50 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Managing, SW, Managing.

At least we finally got on the same page!!!

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135112
05/07/24 11:05 AM
05/07/24 11:05 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Let me see if I read it right The camera is on an opening ON A BOARDING PROPERTY? You got a camera watching some one else’s land ?

We’re they still there during your investigation? How did you know when they left or how long they where on your land

Wow, y’all can sure read some stuff that ain’t there, lol.
I had the camera up because they clear cut across the property and right there is where the clearcut (there side) meets some thick smaller pines (there side) that have never been thinned. Now I was thinking if any predators are working that line onto our property that’ll be a place for some sets or when the wind is right (need a South wind) that I can set up a caller and do some thermal hunting on our side. Camera has only been up a week so no telling how long they’ve been coming on the property.
Good Lord at the folks defending trespassing.
I guess y’all would really be upset that the manager has cameras set up at every main entrance. And y’all will really get upset that every plantation around does the exact same thing. We have great relationship with the actual hunters on that property and felt no need for a camera there. When they shoot something that crosses the line, they give one of us a call to retrieve it. Heck we’ve even gone out to help. These guys didn’t belong even on the property they crossed from.
When you pay millions for a property and turn it into a wild bird plantation through many years of hard work and habitat management then maybe you’d feel a little different.

I’ll be curious to read about when someone breaks into your home and helps themselves to what you’ve paid for or breaks into a vehicle…how will y’all respond. Guessing you’ll just tell them to help themselves?

"This camera is on an opening to the bordering property where they’ve clearcut"

You nor the manager actually talked to the boys that trespassed right? But because dad was a but you got the boys in trouble without hearing their side of the story. In your investigation did you find blood , feathers, a shotgun wad? Proof that they DID more than just t get lost. Not like they just drove down the road and pulled and jumped the chain. Apparently someone in their family has a lease in the area if not on the same road.

Folks around here that push the issue after a warning has been given karma finds them.
Think what some are saying is tell them they were seen . DON"T come back. That would have been enough in my opinion. But i'm not hiding or protecting anything on my land. I don't lease out to hunters as my livelihood

Re: Just own up.. [Re: jbyrd63] #8135115
05/07/24 11:12 AM
05/07/24 11:12 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
You nor the manager actually talked to the boys that trespassed right? But because dad was a but you got the boys in trouble without hearing their side of the story. In your investigation did you find blood , feathers, a shotgun wad? Proof that they DID more than just t get lost. Not like they just drove down the road and pulled and jumped the chain. Apparently someone in their family has a lease in the area if not on the same road.

Folks around here that push the issue after a warning has been given karma finds them.
Think what some are saying is tell them they were seen . DON"T come back. That would have been enough in my opinion. But i'm not hiding or protecting anything on my land. I don't lease out to hunters as my livelihood

That's tough talk from someone that lives in a subdivision......grin

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Just own up.. [Re: coondagger2] #8135117
05/07/24 11:20 AM
05/07/24 11:20 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by coondagger2

That's tough talk from someone that lives in a subdivision......grin

I hope nobody poaches a deer in jbyrd's food plot he worked hard planting.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135180
05/07/24 01:49 PM
05/07/24 01:49 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Walk up into one of these weed patches around here & try telling them you got turned around, Lol...Do your due dilligence & know where your at beforehand.

Member - FTA
Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135236
05/07/24 02:43 PM
05/07/24 02:43 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Jbyrd63…
Did you read the initial post?? No we didn’t get a pic and call a GW. I investigated and figured out how and where. The manager took it from there.

Yes, manager inquired about who it was and put a message out to call him.

Manager wanted to talk to trespassers.

Daddy called and basically told him to pound sand and they got turned around and hung up.

Manager said ok…act like a jerk and we’ll let the GW figure it out.

GW calls and dad gives kids number.

Kid and friend admit to GW of crossing property after a bird but they eventually realized they weren’t where they were supposed to be…managed property looks a lot different than unmanaged. And of course the umpteen signs they went around were also dead giveaways.

GW issues tickets

Dad claims the camera that got them was on the right of way…that’s a dummy camera to keep folks honest
They were caught by my cam for predators.

They trespassed and knew it.

According to the hunters on that property, those guys are in another lease under the same name and were told to not go on that property.

Here’s a pic of what the camera sees…there were old coyote tracks coming from the clearcut area. I will not show the trespassers.

[Linked Image]

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135240
05/07/24 02:50 PM
05/07/24 02:50 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
We don’t honor the can’t shoot unless fired upon. That’s exactly what Jbyrd is describing…if they didn’t kill anything what’s the issue?
I wouldn’t imagine a GW would issue a ticket unless he had enough evidence and apparently when the boys talked to him, they gave him enough, lol. Or he may have had the same attitude with the Dad that the manager had.
Again, if Dad had said yeah they screwed up, I’ll have them call you and that would’ve been it.
Read the title…just own up!! Especially when theirs pics of you, lol!!

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135242
05/07/24 02:51 PM
05/07/24 02:51 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

There is one positive to the short lifespan of some trail cameras........once they die...they are great dummy cameras. I have a couple that I installed fake antennas on so they appear to be cell cams. They are at my gates.

Others dummy cams have a nice, colorful message written with a permanent marker on the inside. They know how I feel amd what to expect if they open the camera.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135244
05/07/24 02:53 PM
05/07/24 02:53 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Yep…he did the same. But real cams may be nearby or down 50-100yds. You skirt the fake ones and get caught by the real ones.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread