No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135789
05/08/24 09:24 AM
05/08/24 09:24 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

This entire thread is simply about RESPECT.

Some folks show it ....some folks don't.

Not everyone are good neighbors.....they don't care how much work has went into a property....because their lazy butts sure ain't gonna do any of it......not for wildlife.

They just want to take and never give back....they've never planted a food plot...they've never built and put up wood duck boxes, they've never spent all day on a tractor working on a hunting property, they've never let a small buck or a jake gobbler walk....they have the mindset just to kill b4 someone else kills.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 05/08/24 09:36 AM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135798
05/08/24 09:44 AM
05/08/24 09:44 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
It’s 2500ac. A lot of work goes in to managing for quail…wild birds. When you manage for quail, EVERYTHING prospers. We have some decent bucks and turkeys. We self impose rules for turkeys at only 3-4 killed a year. Mostly just 3. I know we have 6 other gobblers I’ve seen and 8 jakes I’ve seen for next season. We take into account birds being killed off the property as well.
Does are kill as many as you can. Bucks are 1 trophy (150” or better) and one management buck. Or 2 management bucks.
During hunts we have a 12 bird wagon limit which has only been reached once since I’ve been out there. Our best hunt as far as we are concerned was 15 coveys, 40 shots fired, 1 killed and 1 cripple.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135799
05/08/24 09:45 AM
05/08/24 09:45 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
It doesn’t really matter how many acres though, respect is respect regardless

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135803
05/08/24 09:58 AM
05/08/24 09:58 AM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Savell's comment was the best one in this thread and I'm thinking there's a lot of truth to it.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Badger23] #8135804
05/08/24 10:01 AM
05/08/24 10:01 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Badger23
Savell's comment was the best one in this thread and I'm thinking there's a lot of truth to it.

Well, drive on down. I'm sure I can get you hooked up with whichever you choose......a GW or a distant cousin.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135816
05/08/24 10:27 AM
05/08/24 10:27 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Only ever seen 3 wild quail and they were probably released.
Around here the acreage matters to the deer managers.
The bucks leave the area and get tagged by one of the hundreds
of people in the outside.
I've quit a lot of my old spots because of the circus.
And not all the hard working managers are angels
when it comes to game laws.

Was at Ga. once but just an army base.
A friend spent winters there for a couple decades.
His pics, stories and furs were interesting.
Nice seeing (reading) outside my own little world.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8135817
05/08/24 10:29 AM
05/08/24 10:29 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Respect, Yup. I can not respect a man who would berate and call the leo over a mythical turkey, apparently the only booner on 2500 acres of farmed (managed) land, on another man, first infraction, plausible, maaaybe true excuse, then come on here and brag. Now if it was his third infraction and you whooped'em , different story.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Diggerman] #8135820
05/08/24 10:35 AM
05/08/24 10:35 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Respect, Yup. I can not respect a man who would berate and call the leo over a mythical turkey, apparently the only booner on 2500 acres of farmed (managed) land, on another man, first infraction, plausible, maaaybe true excuse, then come on here and brag. Now if it was his third infraction and you whooped'em , different story.

So, you'll give me up to 3 chances to steal/kill one of your cows or chickens?

Now that is mighty respectful...

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wright Brothers] #8136168
05/08/24 10:15 PM
05/08/24 10:15 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
There is unrest in the forest

There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136210
05/08/24 11:56 PM
05/08/24 11:56 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
You kill 3 gobblers off 2500 acres?
When I was in my early 20’s me and 2 of my cousins went to western Ky to hunt property owned by WESTVACO. A Timber company. Next to it was a area around 850 acres that had a stream and a co road dividing the 2 Bunch of Drs and lawyers had leased the 850 acres. We had put up a tent and made camp on Friday evening before opening day. About 30 minutes after shooting light the war started on the rich folk side of the creek. I was in a climbing stand on our permit side. Dandy 10 point came flying across the creek pops out in front of me at 30 yards Put a 87 grain spitzer thru his heart. One leap and down. About 10 minutes later couple bar toting guys came over to look at the deer I was gutting. One was almost in tears. I been trying to kill that one all year he said. Never looked up. Then he told me that was his deer because it came off their lease. I just chuckled. He told me how I was wrong to just buy the 15 dollar permit and think I could just show up and kill one. I pointed at the red sign on the tree showing the westvaco land. Ask him if he had his 15 dollar permit lol
They sloshed back across the creek
Some people that lease big properties think everything on and around it belongs to them. Animals roam and fly Superiority complex

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136211
05/09/24 12:03 AM
05/09/24 12:03 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
It’s 2500ac. A lot of work goes in to managing for quail…wild birds. When you manage for quail, EVERYTHING prospers. We have some decent bucks and turkeys. We self impose rules for turkeys at only 3-4 killed a year. Mostly just 3. I know we have 6 other gobblers I’ve seen and 8 jakes I’ve seen for next season. We take into account birds being killed off the property as well.
Does are kill as many as you can. Bucks are 1 trophy (150” or better) and one management buck. Or 2 management bucks.
During hunts we have a 12 bird wagon limit which has only been reached once since I’ve been out there. Our best hunt as far as we are concerned was 15 coveys, 40 shots fired, 1 killed and 1 cripple.

Serious question
You guys pen raise your birds then charge rich folks to shoot at them ? When you say one killed one crippled you surely are talking about hunters! Lol because if 40 shots fired and 1 bird killed you need to mandate one day of shooting clay targets before each hunt

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136319
05/09/24 07:48 AM
05/09/24 07:48 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I realize that everyone may have access to a computer, but reading comprehension is lost on many.

Diggerman, try reading each word slowly. We attempted to contact them. We got someone with an attitude like yours that thinks it’s no big deal. We decided we’d let the law handle it.

Jbyrd, wild birds are actually wild. Pen raised birds were raised in a pen then released. Read again that I said “wild” birds. That means God made them and nature raised them, we just try to give them the best possible habitat and predator free environment as possible. Also read we like hunter’s that can’t shoot, lol. We don’t have a requirement that they must be able to hit a certain amount of the skeet or trap stand before they can hunt.
And yes, read self imposed rules on turkeys. We like that fact we’ll always hear and see birds. Could we shoot more? Probably. But all it would take is a couple rough Springs and numbers fall.

As far as deer, if anyone thinks just because they have pics of a deer that they own them is as mental as the person that has crappy land and sets right on the line facing the other property. All we can do is play the odds our big bucks hang around. My biggest buck lived right on the edge of the property and I had hundreds of pics of him. What I found really odd, no one else did. The only person who had seen him once was while he was on a tractor. The buck my son killed NO one had a pic of on either property. Down here, most of the county manages for healthier deer. Shoot more does and let the young bucks walk. We’ve even gotten with the other property members and discussed certain bucks seen. Seems you’ve had some bad experiences in your life and think every landowner is that way. Must be horrible being angry all the time.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136334
05/09/24 08:10 AM
05/09/24 08:10 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
I know what a pen raised bird is. My question is do you guys do that. Not bashing you or anyone else that practices that. I don’t bird hunt so no opinion. If you only kill 3 turkeys per year I doubt any bad weather conditions will knock back your population enough you can’t find 3 on 2500 acres. More likely to have a die off from disease due to overpopulation.
If the angry comment was at me I’m not angry at all. Experience I shared I went home grinning and hauling “their” deer in my pickup. In fact tickled me to death to know I spent 15 bucks and gas at 1:10 cents a gallon and scored. Those guys spent thousands and wondered off with a poochee lip !

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136346
05/09/24 08:39 AM
05/09/24 08:39 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
This is my final comment. You guys got 2500 acres that you have every right to photograph, hunt , what ever you want. Some one crosses over on you ? Crucify them to the extent of the law. But you got a camera watching the trail on a adjoining lease. Correct me if I’m wrong. The minute you see some one walking on your side you rush out to start an investigation. With my limited reading skills you claimed they realized they were on the wrong side and left. How far on your property did they get ? Not relevant to a degree from trespassing but just wondering. Did they go for miles into your sanctuary? Or cut the corner back onto their lease ?

But anyway patrol away. Hope you catch couple dozen more of your neighbors and (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) them off. Yes word will get out you guys don’t tolerate wandering onto you. But I’m sure that’s not the “word” going around to describe what happened.
Good luck and hope you and yours have a healthy and happy year !!

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8136371
05/09/24 09:12 AM
05/09/24 09:12 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Diggerman

So, you'll give me up to 3 chances to steal/kill one of your cows or chickens?

Now that is mighty respectful...

Rember SW, These are the Kings turkey. You can name them, make up stories about them , give them mythical powers, but you cant own them, kinda like your cousins.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136379
05/09/24 09:23 AM
05/09/24 09:23 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

just a side note. I believe that Turkeys are not good for ground nesting birds, up here anyways. Theory is that quail, grouse and such nest early on the south facing hillsides, which is where the Turkey scratch for feed in the spring, outcompeting and inadvertently destroying nests. We havent had huntable numbers of either since the Turkeys showed up 40 some years ago.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136385
05/09/24 09:33 AM
05/09/24 09:33 AM
Virginia
G
GUNNLEG Offline
trapper
GUNNLEG  Offline
trapper
G

Virginia
Amazed this thing made 5 pages and the prevalant feedback from those that disagree with the original posts, which appeared pretty straightforward even to my inbred cousin learned brain, is that the person responsible for the upkeep, management, ownership, etc., did something wrong.

Seems that many are focused on the outcome and not the rootcause.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Wanna Be] #8136390
05/09/24 09:42 AM
05/09/24 09:42 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Diggerman,
Now that you seem pleased that you've had the last word (almost) ...you can go back to playing in your cow and chicken crap. But, remember....always keep a lookout for those that might want to steal some of your livestock...that way you can call the law on their 3rd attempt.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 05/09/24 09:42 AM.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8136414
05/09/24 10:13 AM
05/09/24 10:13 AM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Badger23

Well, drive on down. I'm sure I can get you hooked up with whichever you choose......a GW or a distant cousin.

I've never had an issue with the first one (although I've ran into a couple that have been on a little power trip) and not interested in the second one.

Re: Just own up.. [Re: GUNNLEG] #8136480
05/09/24 11:46 AM
05/09/24 11:46 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by GUNNLEG
Amazed this thing made 5 pages and the prevalant feedback from those that disagree with the original posts, which appeared pretty straightforward even to my inbred cousin learned brain, is that the person responsible for the upkeep, management, ownership, etc., did something wrong.

Seems that many are focused on the outcome and not the rootcause.

Crazy isn’t it?
I didn’t see any measure of importance in the mentioning of a turkey or any other critter. Like Swamp and others said it’s about trespassing.
I have never been told, nor do I believe anyone here has been told, to walk down a remote lane with cameras and signage to a closed gate or chain, again with signage, and feel free to ignore all and cross it. Nor would anyone here do such an obvious indiscretion.
Then when called you get rude with the property owner/manager? Like the title here says, just man up and move on. It would have been done.

Jybrd, as an example you would come home and find your shop or garage door open and some guys in there with your beautiful boat and that’s ok? I’m betting there aren’t any trespassing signs on your building or driveway but I think you’d be ticked. Even if you did have signage, you’re saying it would be ok? Maybe not, maybe your signage over your gains mean more than others? Maybe your boat is docked up on some water somewhere, people have the right to be aboard, doing whatever, when you’re not there?

You guys are hunters, go hunt and cross onto restricted national park lands for instance, those boundaries aren’t marked nearly as well as the above lands cited. See how far you get with the judge on that one just before he tells you it’s YOUR responsibility to know where you are when toting a gun. That judge won’t give a rats behind wether your after gophers or elephants.

On my places I’ve had people come on thru signs. We talk, most do own up its civil discourse they leave as requested. Some go the other way, a call is made. I’m not gonna miss any animal they may have shot, the point is the law and respect for others.
Only a couple examples:

I had a youngish couple show up at the northern place a few years back, stopped 20 yards from the main lodge. 2, exactly 2 miles of entirely private dead end driveway at the place, 2 gates along the way both covered in signage, roughly 30 plus signs on both sides of the driveway all the way, private road private lands, plus plenty of groomed spots where one could turn around. Yet here they were in front of me.
Woman gets out, stands by her door, hippie husband does the same on his side. Two youngsters in the back seat.
I asked their business and why they came up all that marked property. they said just looking around. Ok. You didn’t see the signs I ask? Hippie starts getting uppity and tells me they can go where they want, they are just looking.
At this point in front of them I crossed my arms and in doing so I made sure to push back my unbuttoned shirt more to expose the 44 on my right hip. The wife spotted it right off and zipped back in the car and started yelling at him to get going. He grumbled and got in and out they went. That call was made.
Another 50 something guy was coming outbound thru one of my well posted gates, on a motorcycle, shotgun in hand, hanging with fresh grouse he’d shot on my property. I could care less about grouse, poaching a mile and a half in? That call was sent out from right there.

Yes, I’m a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). It’s about respect. I don’t do those things to others, I won’t have them done on me.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread