No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how #8150196
06/05/24 08:28 AM
06/05/24 08:28 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
His kids turned out. Pick two old men and look at their adult children. Are they successful and would you be proud of they were your kids or would you be ashamed and feel like a failure. Apples and trees come to mind.

I think my goal in life is to raise happy successful offspring everyone would be proud to have as friends, be great parents, and children of GOD. ( Got to get them indoctrinated young as I have read on here recently).

I try to keep positive, successful, and Smarter than myself people around me in my personal life. It's hard to do well except for the smarter part. It has a positive effect on my outlook and mind set. I guess that's probably why I'm attracted to this fourm and it's talented, diverse, and knowledgeable base of people. A big thanks to all of you and especially Paul for providing the place for all of us. ( Now let's see if something so simple as the first 4 lines gets turned into something political and gets this thread nuked in a few pages). An after thought after the other post about the rules.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150199
06/05/24 08:36 AM
06/05/24 08:36 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
In some ways, I agree, until the boys get married and/or out on their own. Women and the environment can change men.

My brother and I are very, very different people. Would be hard to know we were brothers if we didn't tell you.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150204
06/05/24 08:44 AM
missouri
S
salemtrapper Offline
trapper
salemtrapper  Offline
trapper
S

missouri
I agree/don't agree. Yes good parents help, but I've seen many times over, (I live with one) my wife had a horrible childhood, mom was super young still a child when she had Alicia, and a few other things I won't mention.she didn't know her dad until she was 29 and he turned out no good., no influence there other than I won't be them. That's my wife's philosophy on parenting, do the opposite my mom would do. Now she did have her grandpa until she was 13, so that helped some.. and let me tell you she wasn't a good kid, and most said she wouldn't amount to anything! She fought for approval her who life, a lot has to do with her choices in her early age. But I will tell you now she is a heck of a woman and has proved everyone wrong. This is all because of God has nothing to do with her parents. She is a RN, Sunday school teacher, best mom our kids could ask for, not saying this because she is my wife.. I am saying this because I have lived out some of this story with her and I've seen the growth she has had and it's all due to the relationship she has with the almighty himself. He trumps good parenting.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150205
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Many kids run the parents today or the kids free range in some cases a lot of values are not being taught in the home or at the dinner table like before.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: k snow] #8150210
06/05/24 08:59 AM
06/05/24 08:59 AM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by k snow
In some ways, I agree, until the boys get married and/or out on their own. Women and the environment can change men.

My brother and I are very, very different people. Would be hard to know we were brothers if we didn't tell you.

Hopefully ( still theoretical for me yet kids aren't old enough to be sure time will tell) if you raise them with a good foundation they will be able to pick the correct woman to support them and environment. Nothing is full proof but it can't hurt.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150249
06/05/24 09:49 AM
06/05/24 09:49 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
My wife , her oldest brother and sister are all hard working and very savvy. Her other brother wouldn’t keep a job in a pie factory tasting every third pie. What does that say about their Dad?

-Goofy-
Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8150253
06/05/24 09:55 AM
06/05/24 09:55 AM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
My wife , her oldest brother and sister are all hard working and very savvy. Her other brother wouldn’t keep a job in a pie factory tasting every third pie. What does that say about their Dad?

That his son likes pie and I would guess he does also. Sounds like the youngest boy got spoiled if I'm reading the this right.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150257
06/05/24 10:03 AM
06/05/24 10:03 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I disagree 100%.
I’ve seen good God fearing men and woman raise children that would make the devil himself blush.
I’ve seen kids raised by nonexistent fathers and crackhead mothers turn out to be college educated professionals that any parent would be proud of.
Nothing is set in stone…

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150262
06/05/24 10:06 AM
06/05/24 10:06 AM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Too many other influences to combat.
Pier pressure, geographic location, school/teachers, corrupt media, ........ on and on.

Parents can only do so much.

The odds are against the young folks, but we do the best we can.
Kids are but a glimpse of a reflection of their parents.
I wouldn't judge any adult solely based on an evaluation of their youngster(s).

Some of the most successful young ones are raised and trained by parents who are the most corrupt and greedy snakes in society.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Wanna Be] #8150265
06/05/24 10:09 AM
06/05/24 10:09 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I disagree 100%.
I’ve seen good God fearing men and woman raise children that would make the devil himself blush.
I’ve seen kids raised by nonexistent fathers and crackhead mothers turn out to be college educated professionals that any parent would be proud of.
Nothing is set in stone…

X2

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Wanna Be] #8150266
06/05/24 10:10 AM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
I disagree 100%.
Nothing is set in stone…

We're on the same page, you and me smile

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150267
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Seems like every family around me has that one bad offspring.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Crowfoot] #8150269
06/05/24 10:15 AM
06/05/24 10:15 AM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Crowfoot
Too many other influences to combat.
Pier pressure, geographic location, school/teachers, corrupt media, ........ on and on.

Parents can only do so much.

The odds are against the young folks, but we do the best we can.
Kids are but a glimpse of a reflection of their parents.
I wouldn't judge any adult solely based on an evaluation of their youngster(s).

Some of the most successful young ones are raised and trained by parents who are the most corrupt and greedy snakes in society.

And the parents have much more control over outside influence than they want to believe especially up through living in your home so highschool. But it takes sacrifice and hard work to make it happen. Sure if you drop your kids off in daycare then move them into schools and then after school daycare there's a lot more influence involved with outside pressures. Whereas if you make the sacrifices and your kids stay at home and are homeschooled and around other homeschool families you can severely reduce those outside negative influences while the kids are at a young and impressive ages. But you right there are limits to what parents can control.

Genetics play a big part. I have 4 adopted siblings. They were raised the same as I was by my mom. They are all better than their birth parents but so far not making good choice's I would like to see. Hmm just realized I missed something in my thinking all these years. And it's huge I had my grandparents influence that those kids did not and that could be all the difference in the world.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150275
06/05/24 10:21 AM
06/05/24 10:21 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

I just thank God that my sons turned out great. Parents can only do their best and pray.

Both are hard-working, independent adults. Oldest (40 this year) is a high school teacher and teaches Spanish and math. My youngest (37 this year) owns his own big truck and hauls materials in hopper trailers all over the US.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150276
06/05/24 10:23 AM
06/05/24 10:23 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Social media and cell phones are making it much harder to raise kids. I limit both and it causes friction.

Otherwise, my best advice is (1) set a good example of integrity and hard work; (2) be good to them but do not treat them like friends; (3) demand their best in everything; (4) do not dump your adult issues and problems on them; and (5) work them like Egyptian slaves.

Oh yeah--never forget and to quote Home Alone that "kids are stupid." At some point, their brain should (hopefully) engage.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Blaine County] #8150278
06/05/24 10:26 AM
06/05/24 10:26 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Blaine County
Social media and cell phones are making it much harder to raise kids. I limit both and it causes friction.

Otherwise, my best advice is (1) set a good example of integrity and hard work; (2) be good to them but do not treat them like friends; (3) demand their best in everything; (4) do not dump your adult issues and problems on them; and (5) work them like Egyptian slaves.

Oh yeah--never forget and to quote Home Alone that "kids are stupid." At some point, their brain should (hopefully) engage.

This^^^^ is how it works.....with a lot of prayer added in along the way.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Wanna Be] #8150282
06/05/24 10:31 AM
06/05/24 10:31 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
I disagree 100%.
Nothing is set in stone…

This conveys my sentiments exactly...It's kind of like the old Gatorade commercial..."Is it in you"?

My wife, a Cherokee woman had every disadvantage imaginable early in life with a no count road (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) mother who tried to pawn her off to anyone who would raise her, and tried to get her to quit school....Through all her mothers abusive boyfriends, all the domestic fights, through all the constant moving, she prevailed.

She took over her mothers checking acct at 13 yrs old because the power kept getting turned off, with no food in the fridge....And was left alone one time for 5 days with no food, she was 12.

Turns out it made her strong, determined, immersed in faith, and the absolute best human being I've ever known....." Is it in you"?

Member - FTA
Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Providence Farm] #8150287
06/05/24 10:35 AM
06/05/24 10:35 AM
WI
W
WI Outdoors Offline
trapper
WI Outdoors  Offline
trapper
W

WI
I know good kids with knucklehead parents and bad kids with good parents. And everything in between.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: lumberjack391] #8150290
06/05/24 10:42 AM
06/05/24 10:42 AM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Seems like every family around me has that one bad offspring.

I agree. I have a sister that’s a liberal. The other one turned out good.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
This place is getting more like Facebook every day.

Re: You can tell a lot about a man by looking at how [Re: Wanna Be] #8150293
06/05/24 10:50 AM
06/05/24 10:50 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I disagree 100%.
Nothing is set in stone…

I agree with you. I've seen the same thing. You can't always put the blame or credit on the parents. I feel many factors come into play as to how a child will turn out. Such as, the friends they keep, work ethic, morals, etc.

Cooking Tip: If you stir coconut oil into your Kale, it makes it easier to scrape it into the trash.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread