Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8157257
06/18/24 11:23 PM
06/18/24 11:23 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Every bobcat I’ve ever checked has had a full bladder regardless of spraying at the set. And by full, I mean couldn’t get anymore in there if they wanted to.

Yep...and I've always added that bladder urine to the bcat urine I bought.

That will help ur real pee go farther grin

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8157380
06/19/24 09:44 AM
06/19/24 09:44 AM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
to be fair.. bobcat urine is not my top choice of urine even when targeting cats. good dark 100% coyote urine has a stronger odor and pulling range than cat wizz. mho

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: canebrake] #8157517
06/19/24 02:58 PM
06/19/24 02:58 PM
Georgia
sportsman94 Offline
trapper
sportsman94  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by canebrake
So why are individuals selling high quality private stock fox and coyote urine but real cat urine is impossible to get and would be $100 for a half gallon? Do cats not urinate?

From my understanding, cats don’t urinate the same as coyotes when put in a pen. They will spray it out the back or the sides a lot of the time. You also can only put one cat per pen whereas coyotes or foxes you can put several. I’ve never tried it so this is all hearsay

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: sportsman94] #8157545
06/19/24 04:24 PM
06/19/24 04:24 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by sportsman94
So why are individuals selling high quality private stock fox and coyote urine but real cat urine is impossible to get and would be $100 for a half gallon? Do cats not urinate?

From my understanding, cats don’t urinate the same as coyotes when put in a pen. They will spray it out the back or the sides a lot of the time. You also can only put one cat per pen whereas coyotes or foxes you can put several. I’ve never tried it so this is all hearsay

I've always wanted to put an adult feral tom housecat in a cage with high galvanized tin sides....to catch his spray as cats don't squat to pee.

That urine has got to be the strongest cat pee smell there is.

I'd even buy pure feral tom housecat urine if it was available....and I could be sure it was pure.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Yes sir] #8157548
06/19/24 04:32 PM
06/19/24 04:32 PM
GA
C
canebrake Offline
trapper
canebrake  Offline
trapper
C

GA
Originally Posted by Yes sir

So they are selling it but it's suppose to be " private stock"......????? What's private stock urine? Is different than regular urine? Sounds like sales gimmick to me. It's either real pee or it's not. And I've collected real pee and before that I don't think I'd bought any that was 100% the real stuff.
Canebrake how do you tell the real stuff from the cut or artificial stuff?

You tell me what the difference is Sparky since you seem to be the expert on all things trapping related in every thread on here. A bunch of question marks in a row doesn't help get your point across.

All I know is, Reuwsaat has his own animals he collects from. At least he did before he got out of the lure business. His urine has a completely different and stronger odor than the cheap ammonia smelling stuff from the big supply houses and it seems to get a stronger reaction from animals. People speak very highly of his urine and lures and I don't think he's a con artist. Same for Wayne Derrick, Bob Jameson, and others that sell their own stuff. I've never used theirs but those who have speak very highly of it. Some of these guys won't even ship it.

Everybody isn't out to make an easy buck from selling brown water with ammonia added to it like you seem to think they are.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8157621
06/19/24 07:59 PM
06/19/24 07:59 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Canebrake think what u want but I've bought a fair amount of ingredients, oils and glands from a lot of suppliers just to compare quality. I feel I got a pretty good handle what's going on.

One way to check authenticity is if it gets darker with age. Bought some cat pee from a lure maker about 4 years ago that is well know in the industry and advertises 100% real meat fed animal urine. Stuff is still light yellow.

Another way is put in freezer over night. It should be about 66% ice crystals and 33% liquid in the morning give or take some. Seldom bought urine from 3 different lure makers a couple years ago to test them. Believe he talked to all 3 guys on the phone and all 3 swore theirs was 100% the real deal. One froze solid, one was as it should be and one wouldn't freeze at all after several nights in the freezer.
Another is test it on your dog or cat. Good friend of mine was given or bought some lures and baits from a friend of his that was quitting. In the stuff was a 1/2 gallon jug of urine from a lure maker that if I mentioned his name in bad context on here would cause an up roar here. Friend of mine knows what good urine is and one smell he knew this wasn't it so he pours it on the ground. After he gets done his dog, wanting petted, walks up and stands in it with no respect to the urine. And this is a dog he's tested a lot of stuff on and is consistent in it's responses.

As far as knowing everything I try only to speak on things I've tested and seen first hand and if it's something that I feel I don't have solid ground on I'll propose it as a theory and be clear in that regards. I've probably put in over a thousand tests just to watch several thousand responses from coyotes then I try to compare notes with guys that know more and have more experience with trapping coyotes than me to see if I'm on the right track. I sure don't know close everything though.

I'll tell what we can do if everyone on here wants to chip in a dollar or two I got a friend in town that runs a chemical analysis lab or at least did and if he still has all the equipment I can see if he'll run all the urine we buy and we can get a full chemical analysis on each one.
If he'll do it I'll give everyone that sends me 5 bucks the full report. I'll see if he'll do it and what it will cost per sample.

For fun we could make side bets on our favorite flavor loser pays to any of the trapperman funds.

To be perfectly clear here there are guys that do sell real urine but there's more that don't than a lot of people want to believe.

Last edited by Yes sir; 06/19/24 08:24 PM.
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8157688
06/19/24 10:06 PM
06/19/24 10:06 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Yessir,
What happened to Ol' Seldom? Haven't seen him on here in a while.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8157690
06/19/24 10:13 PM
06/19/24 10:13 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Yessir,

He got cross with someone on here and checked out of here. Don't know if it was by choice or mandated. Probably both. So few coyotes up his way he doesn't test or trap them any more but I believe hes still trapping beaver

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Yes sir] #8157693
06/19/24 10:18 PM
06/19/24 10:18 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Yessir,

He got cross with someone on here and checked out of here. Don't know if it was by choice or mandated. Probably both. So few coyotes up his way he doesn't test or trap them any more but I believe hes still trapping beaver

I liked him.....he was a "thinkin'" rascal!

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8157695
06/19/24 10:24 PM
06/19/24 10:24 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
He was and I always paid attention when he shared. I tried several times to get him down here to trap coyotes. Told him he wouldn't believe it until he seen it in person compared to what he was use to up there. He though it would ruin him but I told him that ship had already sailed.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8157700
06/19/24 10:26 PM
06/19/24 10:26 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Think he's making waxed dirt this week. He went out scouting recently and verified what he already knew. This aint Kansas lol

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BigBlackBirds] #8157711
06/19/24 10:43 PM
06/19/24 10:43 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds
Think he's making waxed dirt this week. He went out scouting recently and verified what he already knew. This aint Kansas lol

Chris tell he doesn't need wax dirt down here, he's wasting his time.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8157719
06/19/24 10:54 PM
06/19/24 10:54 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
He's selling it. Heck I'll likely have to swing past and get some myself

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: sportsman94] #8157736
06/19/24 11:24 PM
06/19/24 11:24 PM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
Originally Posted by sportsman94

Cats pee just fine in a pen. Maybe somebody somewhere observed a cat spray but I’ve never seen it. I’ve only collected 400 gallons or so.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8157737
06/19/24 11:29 PM
06/19/24 11:29 PM
Oregon 66
bfflobo Offline
trapper
bfflobo  Offline
trapper

Oregon 66
Real, pure urine will produce salts that drop out of it in time and settle on the bottom of the jug. longer it sits, the more salts form. (good stuff ) Fake won't. Diluted will have very little.

Clean traps,tight lines,straight shooting
http://i.imgur.com/3sawxE9m.jpg
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: bfflobo] #8161909
06/27/24 03:57 PM
06/27/24 03:57 PM
Boswell, PA
C
cwilson Offline
trapper
cwilson  Offline
trapper
C

Boswell, PA
Originally Posted by bfflobo
Real, pure urine will produce salts that drop out of it in time and settle on the bottom of the jug. longer it sits, the more salts form. (good stuff ) Fake won't. Diluted will have very little.

BINGO! I was in the trap shed last night organizing some things and when looking at 3 separte bottles of bladder collected (by me) bobcat urine, all of them looked the same light tan color it was when it was put in the bottle, some was from 2 years ago. And, there was a light, almost white, collection about 1/4" thick in the bottom of the bottles. The other "store-bought" urines did not have any deposits in the bottles. One was lighter in color and another was much darker - almost black, which is the color they were when I bought the urine. I have caught cats while using each of the urines, but I know the purchased urines are not the same as the 100% real deal. The purchased urine was from "trusted sources". Maybe it was real - maybe it was diluted - or mixed with other urine - or just ammonia and iced tea mixed in a jug?

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8162457
06/28/24 12:50 PM
06/28/24 12:50 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Bladder urine is not the same as urinated urine that goes thru the anal vent and gland when discharged. Straight collected bladder urine is pure and clean.

Most all commercial urine has been bulk stored /strained / filtered then bottled. That urine is typically collected from a herd animal source. Meaning the urine came from multiple penned animals.

Considering that process bottled urine will have very little to any sediment since the material has already settled out to the bottom of the container/drum etc. prior to bottling. Fresh collected and bottled urine will always have sediment that settles over time.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Bob Jameson] #8163602
06/30/24 11:03 AM
06/30/24 11:03 AM
Boswell, PA
C
cwilson Offline
trapper
cwilson  Offline
trapper
C

Boswell, PA
Bob. That makes sense that the sediments have fallen out by the time it is bottled and sold. Is the dark color of some urine caused more by diet or by contaminants from passing thru the cat or the collection system?

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: BDR] #8163632
06/30/24 12:09 PM
06/30/24 12:09 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Urine color can be affected by diet, age and contamination. Most urines that I have handled that I have collected from penned animals all change in color over time. Colors can be all over the place as far as shades go. Good clean urines that have come from meat fed animals will generally be a caramel to a light golden brown darker shade of that color as time moves on.

Urines are always golden upon fresh collection and at the pre storage stage. All urines age if natural and authentic materials. All will have sediments if bottled in a clear gal jug. It is very easy to see the sediment drop down in those jugs if you hold a volume for months at a time before use or sale.

Freezing fresh collected urine will hold it until used. But it too will begin to age once it has been left at room temperature for a while.

Now on the other hand some dirty urines, unfilitered or not strained with a small enough micro mesh can sour and age to a near black color. This urine can be identified by its odor after it has advanced enough in bacteria development.

Many can't distinquish this but some can. All urine develops a very strong ammonia odor over time after being stored. Our urine will jump out at you and make your eyes water if you put your nose over our drums and take a whiff.

If you ever visit a nursing home environment you can usually detect the human uric acid odor in the air as soon as you make entry, which basically is the ammonia byproduct of aging urine. This urine has contact with oxygen which creates a chemical process, then things begin to change.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Bob Jameson] #8213251
09/10/24 09:30 PM
09/10/24 09:30 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Bladder urine is not the same as urinated urine that goes thru the anal vent and gland when discharged. Straight collected bladder urine is pure and clean.

Most all commercial urine has been bulk stored /strained / filtered then bottled. That urine is typically collected from a herd animal source. Meaning the urine came from multiple penned animals.

Considering that process bottled urine will have very little to any sediment since the material has already settled out to the bottom of the container/drum etc. prior to bottling. Fresh collected and bottled urine will always have sediment that settles over time.

Very good points, all.

Something I have often said :

Studies show that bobcats will respond better to coyote urine over urine of their own kind, except during breeding season, for the obvious reason,

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91