Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Old lure maker ? #8157943
06/20/24 11:15 AM
06/20/24 11:15 AM
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline OP
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline OP
trapper
M

Craigmont, Idaho
I’ve often wondered if anyone continued the O.L. Butcher line of lures. I know there are lots of great lure makers out there. I use several of them.

My question is mostly for nostalgia’s sake. I started trapping in 1969 and the O.L. Butcher catalog was sandwiched in my school books so I could study it rather than my school work during study hall. If I had focused as much attention on my school work and less on my trapping and Herters catalogs, I might have gotten better grades.

I used many of his lures for fox, coon, mink and muskrat along with Daily and Leo Hoefft (spelling?) lures. Always wondered if anyone carried on the Butcher lures.

Re: Old lure maker ? [Re: marty weatherup] #8158070
06/20/24 03:03 PM
06/20/24 03:03 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I did a lot of questioning about that with a bunch of New York trappers over the years. In the last year I talked to a guy that said he knew who ended up with the lure formulas and the guy told him he could have them. He just never got around to go look into it. I am most interested in trapping history.
Thanks for sharing about the use of the lures. One of the neighbor kids used those and Hawbakers when I was growing up. There for I never tried them. Have regretted not trying them when they were available.

Mac

Re: Old lure maker ? [Re: marty weatherup] #8158189
06/20/24 07:07 PM
06/20/24 07:07 PM
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline OP
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline OP
trapper
M

Craigmont, Idaho
I still have a couple Butcher catalogs and a few of his books. I need to unpack my book boxes from our move and find those.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91