No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Well it's happening (New Fur Shed) [Re: danvee] #8213433
09/11/24 01:14 AM
09/11/24 01:14 AM
South Dakota
T
TheYouthTrapper Offline OP
trapper
TheYouthTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by danvee
No water??? get it in with a French drain no water is a killer a small wood stove would not take much to heat that to the point of uncomfortable. I even burn beaver and coon carcasses once I have a good fire stack them like cord wood. Just watch out they put out a lot of heat.

I had a wood stove in the last one and I find it so hard to regulate the heat and it's more of a pain than I would like to deal with. I would rather spend more time fur handling than stoking a fire. I don't have very many uses for water but I can always haul a bucket in if I need it.

Re: Well it's happening (New Fur Shed) [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #8213498
09/11/24 06:40 AM
09/11/24 06:40 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
Originally Posted by danvee
No water??? get it in with a French drain no water is a killer a small wood stove would not take much to heat that to the point of uncomfortable. I even burn beaver and coon carcasses once I have a good fire stack them like cord wood. Just watch out they put out a lot of heat.

I had a wood stove in the last one and I find it so hard to regulate the heat and it's more of a pain than I would like to deal with. I would rather spend more time fur handling than stoking a fire. I don't have very many uses for water but I can always haul a bucket in if I need it.

I agree Youth Trapper. Building fires is a PITA to me. I heat my house and camp with wood. At home, I build a fire in late October and usually keep that same fire burning until mid-March. On warmer days I'll just open windows. The only time let it go out is if we're having an extended period of really warm days near 70. That's how much I dislike building new fires.

That's also the main reason I'm not putting a woodstove in the new fur shed I'm building. My granddaughter and I have a routine; we run the line early, come back and hang whatever fur we caught in the shed. We turn on the heater, go have breakfast and head back to the fur shed. By that time it's warm in there. We skin and board, turn the heater off then I go to work and she goes to school.

Building a fire every morning would be a hassle. Then you'd have to stay there to tend it until it got going good. That just wouldn't work with us, time is already too short in the mornings. Turning on the gas heater and heading for breakfast does work with our schedules.

Plus, as you mentioned, a woodstove wood make regulating the temp inside difficult. I suspect even a small woodstove would blast you out of the shed.

We use a Blueflame propane heater. They do put moisture in the air but I've been doing it for decades with no issues. Electric heat doesn't put moisture in the air but it's expensive to run and you'd have to size your electrical system to handle it.

Eh...wot?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread